“Great atmosphere, good pub food & reasonable price!”
Review of Punch & Judy

Punch & Judy
Ranked #8,540 of 23,214 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The Punch & Judy is a world famous pub landmark in its own right and is thought to be named after the puppet show performances that took place in the nearby piazza for the children of flower-sellers. Built in 1787, this listed building retains much of the original brick and stonework. It's known as being one of the very few buildings in the area that escaped bomb damage during the blitz. The pub is located facing the west piazza and from this balcony our guests have the best view to watch the street performers. It is clear why a pub in London’s Covent Garden Piazza bears this name, for it was here in May 1662 that Samuel Pepys came to see the performance of an Italian puppet play. This is the first record of a ‘Punch’ show in England and would have been a novelty at the time. The Punch & Judy serves fantastic British cask ales, selected wines and premium spirits as well as traditional British pub food such as fish & chips and steak & ale pie. The team look forward to your visit!
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Once a year I meet some Uni friends, in Covent Garden Piazza, where I first suggested as the venue for our yearly re-union. We always get together for drinks and lunch at the Punch and Judy, a Taylor-Walker establishment. This small and busy pub is located in a far corner of the lower level of Covent Garden. It is popular with British and obviously numerous tourists. Although the food here is quite an ordinary Pub food, it seems to be a rather large portion. On this occasion I asked for 'eggs ham and chips', my eyes popped out at the sight of the food on my plate, three large slices of ham, with two very nicely fried eggs and chips. I left the pub extremely satisfied with what I ate and drank. My only concern is the size of the ladies' toilettes (there are four), they are rather tiny, so I try not to use them!

Going round Covent Garden, is very energy consuming, due to the number of people around and the numerous interesting shops. It is vital therefore to find a suitable eatery, despite being in the corner of the place, this pub seems to be a place one can really take refuge for a while.

I fully recommend this pub, despite it's proximity to numerous other eating places!

3  Thank Chichi199
There are newer reviews for Punch & Judy

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stopped in to get an after dinner drink and after we climbed the steps and entered there was a horible smell which smelled like sweaty feet. We had seen people on the balcony a few nights before that watching a stret performer and thought it would be a perfect place for a nite-cap. It was misting rain that night which made to chairs outside a little wet. We left in a hurry because of the terrible smell.

4  Thank patopti
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Visited with friends on a busy Saturday lunchtime. Despite it clearly being a popular place, there was only member of staff on duty in the upstairs bar. Result: chaos. Whoever shouted loudest got served next. Seriously expensive, even for London. Four drinks came to well over £22. No, we didn't have champagne, just beer and a G&T, served in plastic beakers. Ugh! It's a pub, not a beer festival. Upstairs toilets were closed too, requiring a long trip to the basement bar, jostling with the crowds on the narrow staircase. Yes, there's a large balcony from where you can watch some dreary street entertainer spinning out his routine but otherwise there's not much to commend this place. A thoroughly unpleasant experience.

1  Thank John K
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Punch & Judy, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear John K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are sorry to hear of the experience you received and have asked our management team to investigate.

We have also sent you a direct message to discuss your comments further,

Thanks
Taylor Walker

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I had hight hopes for this pub as its right at the heart of Covent garden market and its balcony over looks the market. It is a good spot but I think that works against it as it really was crowded and getting out onto the balcony proved to be a real challenge. In addition the barmaid who served me was very abrupt to the point of rudeness. I guess I'll give them a second chance and try it when it is less crowded as the location really is good which is why I gave it an average as opposed to a poor.

Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We went in the Punch and Judy pub because of the name! It was intriguing, if you are looking for a British pub within covent garden then look no further.

The reason I gave it a 3* is because of its prices! £11 for two drinks, may not seem much too many but a pub outside of London would charge half, although we did come to London knowing some things would be expensive. Also, a 3* because of the waiting time for a drink we also had to stand with our drinks