“Great pub, excellent people watching”
Review of The Ten Bells

The Ten Bells
Ranked #1,548 of 23,391 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: Located smack-bang in the middle of Shoreditch and Spitalfieds lies the institution that is "The Ten Bells" pub. This iconic venue has existed in one guise or another since the middle of the 17th Century. Expect all walks of life in this bustling classic boozer at any time of the day or night. Beyond the listed tile work and villainous history lies a solid and well respected pub with an excellent range of quality beers and decent Bartenders. Jostle in with the crowds downstairs or climb a further floor to find comfortable seating and a unique atmosphere where you watch the world go by on the streets below. Whether you are looking for Beer, Wine or Cocktails, The Ten Bells has it all with a touch of class yet still understated much like its reputation.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This review is for the pub and not the restaurant bit. I'm a local and it's a great place to have a pint particularly during a weekend afternoon, and watch people come and go across the street at Spitalfields Market. They usually have a nice selection of ales, and it's also a convenient place to meet people. The Jack the Ripper history is also interesting. Based on the other reviews I'll have to try the restaurant upstairs!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I ate with friends at the "Upstairs at the Ten Bells" restaurant recently. We shared some starters, including what my friend called their 'signature dish' - which was a deliciously done deep fried chicken pieces, and some kohl rabi rolls with beetroot sauce. The natural response is to think that the beetroot sauce is ketchup - but of course much more interesting in taste. My main was beef shank which was very nicely done, fell apart and was melt in the mouth.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I love the Ten Bells and have been going there for years it's a real old school pub which now has a great resturant upstairs.

The resturant is AMAZING! I went for dinner last night with a friend and had the wood pigeon to start followed by pan roasted cod.

Both courses were delicious and washed down with a bottle of excellent and very reasonably price vintage red. We then had cheese and coffee and all for £82 including tip!!!!!!!!!!

WOW you need to go here! I am already planing my next outing here and so should you!

Will Mudie

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Called in for a quick drink as this pub is connected to the Jack The Ripper tales. It gets so busy that do not be surprised if you see loads of people outside drinking as the inside is full. The bar is in the middle of the room and there are seats round the bar but when I went there was no spaces so I had to stand like the rest.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The new version of Upstairs at the 10 Bells opened it’s doors recently to the public and after a fantastic dinner by the Young Turks at the 10 Bells earlier in the year, we were very keen to try out the new Upstairs at the 10 Bells.

Earlier in the year we visited the 10 Bells pub, where the Young Turks had taken temporary residence. The project received great critical acclaim from food critics and food bloggers.

Since then the Young Turks have gone their separate ways but decided to continue the 10 Bells project in a different format. Young Turk Isaac Mchale decided to head up the kitchen on a day to day basis and expanded the selection of dishes on offer.

When we visited Upstairs at the 10 Bells we tried the:
-Buttermilk Chicken & Pine Salt (9/10)
-Pigs Head, Pickled Kohlrabi & Lemon (7.5/10)
-Oat Cracker & Smoked Cod’s Roe Tarama (8.5/10)
-Treacle Glazed Lamb Sweetbreads, Cauliflower & Anchovy (9/10)
-Crab and Cucumber salad, Melba toast (7/10)
-Plaice, Turnips & Black Trumpets (8.5/10)
-Roast Grouse, Celeriac, Blackcurrants & White Onion (8/10)
-Featherblade Beef, Horseradish, Swede & Onion Rings (9/10)
-Walnut Torte, Yellow Plums & Zabaione (9.5/10)
-Raspberry Yoghurt Ripple & Hazelnut Crumble (9.5/10)
-Special of the day Parfait dessert (9.5/10)

We really enjoyed our lunch at Upstairs at the 10 Bells and particularly the desserts were fantastic. The service is very good and the decoration is very unique and interesting as well.

In total we paid £180 (including a bottle of wine and service charge).

I wouldn’t be surprised if Upstairs at the 10 Bells will be awarded a Bib Gourmand rating in the near future and if they achieve a more consistent level across all dishes, even a Michelin star is within the realm of possibilities.

If you want to read more of my reviews, please visit my blog: http://terencenahar.com/WorldPress/