“Great Stay”
Review of The Harrington

The Harrington
Ranked #92 of 908 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed August 13, 2014

All around fantastic hotel in a great location, close to restaurants, shops, and the metro. Rooms are clean and modern. Most importantly, staff is friendly and more than willing to help in any way possible. A great stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 8, 2014

This hotel is a great choice if you want a good but not over-the-top hotel in a fairly central location. Only a block from the Gloucester Road tube station, it's easy to get anywhere in London from here. The suite had everything we needed (except for a washcloth, which flummoxed the staff when we requested one -- but I think maybe Europeans just don't use them?) The staff were helpful, though not overly friendly. Each suite includes a kitchenette, which makes it possible to do meals in your room -- we only did breakfast, but even just that is convenient and a money-saver. It's not a luxury hotel, but it was quite comfortable. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The hotel looks nice, and is located in a great area. That being said, we got stuck in a basement room. No real window, no daylight. A cave would have been better and more likely would have had better internet. I have a mobility limitation- basement only accessible by narrow stairs but no other rooms available. The bed was a platform bed, very low with a board running all around the outside. Very difficult for me to get in and out of. Staff was surly, at best. When we checked in the lady was pleasant enough, but after that we got nothing more than a grunt. I would guess that the rooms ABOVE the basement were better....but we will never know.

Room Tip: don't accept the basement rooms.....there is no daylight and they are difficult to get to.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Val F
The_Harrington, General Manager at The Harrington, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear Valeri,

I am sorry to hear you were unhappy with your room during your stay with us. We do move guests wherever possible if they are unhappy with their rooms, however as you were informed you were fully booked during your stay. The internet is usually very fast so again i am sorry you experienced issues and hope you made staff aware of them.

Please get in contact directly with myself next time you plan to visit London and I will do my utmost to offer you preferential rates for one of our rooms on a higher level!

Kind regards,

Fred Verity

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed only 2 nights 4-6 July but would like to have stayed longer.
Spacious apartment, modern, very clean, we stayed in a one bedroom on the second floor at the rear of the building.
Bigger than expected, with all necessary amenities and then some! :)
But the soundproofing is not good enough, we heard noises in the corridor, but as it was during the day did not bother us.
The internet worked fine.
Perfect location, very close to the subway, pubs, restaurants and supermarkets.
The neighborhood is one of the best to stay in London, makes us feel a little taste of living there.
The hotel staff is impeccable, especially Marco, a Brazilian who works there and is very gentle.
I thought the price is not very attractive.

Room Tip: A room away from the elvator and the aisle closet should be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AdrianaLitvin
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Currently staying at the Harrington in a 2br apartment. Having read the trip advisor reviews, I considered cancelling our booking. However, we were assured in advance by management that the rooms would be quiet but we have found traffic noise to be a major problem - to the point where nobody is getting a proper sleep. The wifi connection only works in the (cupboard sized) kitchen and not the living area. Having complained about this twice per day for 3 days I have now given up. The beds are also extremely cheap/soft with no support - I travel weekly but have never had such bad beds ever. The location is brilliant and the rooms are clean (but very tired/damaged) but I wouldn't stay here again and I would recommend that anybody who is hesitating about booking here think twice.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Katetaussie
The_Harrington, Manager at The Harrington, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear Kate,

I was sad to hear that you did not enjoy your time at The Harrington and that you had issues with the internet and traffic noise.

The internet issue you experienced is still a mystery to me, I have looked into the issue in more detail and the only explanation I can think of is that because there are two networks (A and B) per floor, perhaps you were connected to the wrong one which explains the limited connection. I apologise once again for the lack of response from staff and will make sure this does not happen in the future. When i personally came to your room and you got a connection i assumed this issue was resolved.

The traffic noise on the other hand is not something we, as a central London hotel, have much control over! It is usually reasonably quiet in the evening however.

As I mentioned to you in a direct email exchange, I will happily give you a discounted stay on your next trip to London or if this is not adequate, I will speak to the owner about giving a donation to your chosen charity.

I hope we can welcome you back when you are next in London, when we will have fully refurbished and ironed out all these small issues.

Kind regards,

Fred Verity

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Got a great deal for a bedsit style apartment for 1 night and probably that's why we got the room we did.
First impressions not great- room smelt musty- probably because it was in the basement!
Skylights provided natural light but also street light at night!
Bathroom was tiny and shower sluggish , could also have been cleaner.

On the plus side the room was huge and well equipped with mini kitchen and very comfy bed.
Great location 2 mins from Gloucester road tube, 10 mins walk to museums.
Lots of coffee shops etc close by .

Room Tip: B4 not great
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cel_longridge
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed at Harrington Gardens from May 15 - 22, 2014. We chose this location based on the reviews.

Upon first entering the building, we received a very warm welcome from Mirka, who in our opinion, provided the best customer service of the staff that we encountered during our stay.

We were located on the 5th floor in a studio apartment; the staff had read our request that we did not want to stay in the basement; this was based on prior reviews that we read about noise.

Our room was very clean and spacious for a hotel in London. However, I agree with another comment made, that there needs to be more storage available; there are no shelves, and only one wardrobe to place clothes in.

Unfortunately, our room was located right beside the emergency exit, and every time the cleaning staff entered or exited from that door, we could hear an incredibly loud bang in our room. We had just arrived from Canada and were jet-lagged, and this was not the best first impression.

My husband called down to the front desk, and the gentleman who was working addressed the issue right away. He had a maintenance person come up to adjust the door to eliminate the banging. We were impressed by this.

That said - the next day we noticed that the safe in our room was broken. The gentleman on staff came to take a look at the safe and determined that maintenance would have to be called to address the problem. A maintenance person came the next morning and promised to come back to fix the safe the following day. Unfortunately, the maintenance person never came back. I cannot blame this on the staff, but I do feel that this is an issue that management needs to address.

The bed in our room was extremely comfortable and the kitchen offered all that one needs in order to cook. The bathroom was clean and spacious. The location of this hotel is excellent. It is literally two short blocks from the Gloucester Road tube station. There are restaurants and grocery stores in the area. There is a Tesco and a Waitrose located right near the tube station, so this a big plus!

Now I would like to focus on what I think needs improvement.

1. Management should be on site to deal with customer complaints. One morning we entered the lobby to overhear a customer complaining about the air-conditioning not working in his room, and the hotel staff member was trying hard to appease the customer - there was no manager present to deal with this issue. We felt sorry the young man having to deal with the complaint on his own.

2. When a customer makes a complaint, it should be dealt with right away. Our safe was never fixed, and no one followed up with us about this issue.

3. Some of the staff seemed less than enthusiastic to be working for this hotel. One staff member (front desk staff person) in particular, rarely smiled and never greeted us when we entered or left the hotel.

4. When customers are checking out, it is a good practice to ask them whether they enjoyed their stay. Otherwise, how will you ever know whether they have good or bad feedback?

5. It would be nice to have maps and other information available to guests about London; this kind of information can be very helpful.

Overall, I feel that this hotel is good value for money. The real issue that needs to be addressed is the lack of professionalism and follow through from Management. If these problems are addressed, and concerns over noise and maintenance issues are dealt with, I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again. It is good value for money and the location is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple