“Ok, but not luxury”

Ranked #82 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Ok, but not luxury”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to London, and have to say that the location is perfect. Everything is within very easy reach.
However, i had a chock,when i arrived, i almost thought i had the wrong place. The lobby area is a building site, dirty, dusty and of course not at all welcoming. The staff is no great shakes either. Except the housekeeping, they are terrific.
On arrival i was informed that i was put in a basement room, then perhaps because of my very disgruntled face, told that i had been "upgraded" to second floor.
The one room apartment had windows facing trees and a back yard, so not too noisy, considering the busy streets outside.
Now to the actual apartment - the bathroom is a good size, and while i applaud hotels making facilities available for people with disabilities, it is not always convenient, for me. I would have prefered a bath, instead of a shower stall with a little seat. The washbasin is very tiny, placed very low, and there is no shelves for your toothbrush, cosmetics or anything else, am just happy i am not a man who need to shave daily. If taller than 5 ft. severe back ache would be a certainty. And again no place to put the shaving gear.
There is no hooks or shelves for the towels. They are placed on the closed toilet seat.
The kitchen is good, seems to have been recently refurbished, the only thing missing is glasses. There is wineglasses, coffeecups, teamugs, but no ordinary drinking glasses.
The bedroom/livingroom is an oxymoron. There is a huge flatscreen tv, but placed on the wrong wall. The only way you can watch it, and btw, there is very few channels to choose from, is to sit on the rather worn and tatty leather couch. Not at all comfortable or convenient. There is no coffee table, so if you want to have something while sitting, you either have to hold it in your hand, or use one of the very ugly dining chairs as a table.
The little glass !! dining table and 2 ugly uncomfortable chairs are placed under the tv. At the same time the wall across from the bed is large and bare.
There is no good place to store your suitcases, and the closet is small and not very accessible, being on the side of the bed.
The dressing table is also at the side of the bed, and exceedingly foul, and there is only one bedside table, and one bedside lamp.
The floor is in many places badly scratched, and could do with replacing.
The bed is soft as a sponge, it feels like sleeping in pudding.
My total impression is that the person responsible for the interior design must have been drunk, or of his trolley.
Everything looks like it is trying to look classy, but really ends up looking tacky.
Lastly hey advertise there is a dvd player in the room, i did not see one.
With nice decor, practically placed, a working lobby, and well trained front desk staff, this could be quite wonderful.
As it is, it is overrated and overpriced.

Room Tip: Get as high up as possible, at least 2th. or 3th. floor, and try to get a room facing the back yard...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank fatimazahra
MatthewBrooks, General Manager at The Harrington, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Many thanks indeed for such a comprehensive and useful review - for prospective guests and for us. We do always welcome feedback and this helps us to prioritise the improvements we are making to The Harrington, which our company acquired just a few months ago.

The Lobby is being refurbished, although the majority of the Lobby is in use by guests at all times, work only takes place between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. and the team carrying out the project are constantly cleaning up after themselves. It long ago passed the stage of 'building site'. We have been doing a little plastering to straighten out the walls to help it look really wonderful once finished.

It is a conundrum in the hotel and serviced apartment industry generally that authorities and guests want us to provide facilities for all - including accessible rooms - but many guests don't want to be allocated to them. Of course, if we are notified in advance of any preferences in this, or any other respect, we always do our best to comply.

I am reviewing the way the furniture is laid out in this particular apartment, as the problem highlighted seems easy to fix. As previously mentioned, sofas are on order to replace those which are not dirty but simply worn out. DVD players are available, as advertised - it is simply that we keep them available from Reception rather than in apartments, for security reasons.

This review is extremely helpful to our Projects Manager and myself in helping to determine the sequence in which apartments should be renovated.

My thanks again to this guest for sharing her feedback. It is taken in the spirit in which it was provided and we look forward to welcoming this guest back to experience the fully finished product in due course.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Less than 5 mins easy walk to Gloucester Road metro station. 24hrs supermarket -Tesco just nearby. Very safe and quiet district. I was allocated room 106 which is a corner unit which has a nice street view. Everything in the room is good except for the toilet flushing system which seemed to weak to do the job. Would definitely consider this apartmt hotel again if visiting London again. Free wi-fi is good with no interruptions.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LindaSL2211
Many thanks indeed for such a constructive and helpful review and I am delighted to know that this guest so enjoyed her stay. I agree the street facing apartments do have a good view, although a street facing apartment on a low floor is probably not the best option for a very light sleeper.

Many thanks also for the comment about the WiFi, which was very substantially boosted for all apartments in October - something which used to be a cause of constant disappointment is now of a standard that beats most hotels I have stayed in around the world.

We very much look forward to welcoming this guest back to The Harrington for a future stay.
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Great location to all attractions. Less than min to tube, 1/2 hr from Heathrow. Lovely cafes restaurants and supermarkets close by. Staff were friendly and helpful. Cos we checked in early receptionist allowed us to view 2 rooms so we could decide which one we wanted which was nice cos one room although lovely was adjoined by another room so we were concerned re noise. We went with 1 bed apt on 4th floor cos it was not adjoined. It was spotless comfortable everything seemed new and fresh. Bed was slightly smaller than the other room but it was fine. Lift is very small can only fit 2 people. Renovations are going on in hallways and lobby but it didn't bother us. Would stay again mainly due to location and nice eateries around. Think it should b cheaper though.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Sarah D
MatthewBrooks, General Manager at The Harrington, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
We are very grateful for all feedback and such a positive review is very much appreciated by all of the team - knowing that all of their efforts are so well appreciated.

Additionally, this review will be helpful to anybody considering staying here with the information provided on shops and restaurants in the area.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, work on the corridors or hallways is not completed - repainting and re-carpeting - and they look very much better. Work on the Lobby continues at the time of writing but is nearing completion and we are maintaining a blog on our web site which we update from time to time with the progress of our improvements so far.

Our thanks again for all of the kind comments.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stay in London most weeks due to work, usually staying in 4 or 5 star hotels, so when my usual haunts were fully booked I found myself searching for the nearest available "Luxury" accommodation. Although I normally like my creature comforts of hotels (room service and hotel bars) on this occasion I opted for the Harrington luxury serviced apartments being optimistic that they would live up to their tagline and their 4 star rating.

From the second I walked in the front door I knew I had made a horrible mistake. At no point whilst booking had anywhere mentioned that the Harrington is going through a thorough refurbishment so I was very shocked to find how much work was going on! I heard the hammering and drills before I had even got to the make shift check-in desk (which actually moves around the foyer depending on where the work-men are working at that moment)

After check in, which was surprisingly quick and efficient given the dis-array they had to work in, I was given room 206. With it being such a low floor I would have taken the stairs but I couldn't get passed the few workmen on the stairs tampering with the carpet so I took the tiny dingy lift instead. The lift apparently accommodates a maximum of 3 people OR in actual fact 1 woman her handbag and her case (just about).

When I got to my apartment I found the front door unlocked and left open on the latch, hardly a welcoming site for a lone female traveller in a hotel full of strangers. I almost felt like shouting Hello as I walked through the door.

I had booked a 1 bedroom apartment and I was pleasantly surprised at the size, the room you get here is far more than you would get at an equivalent 4 star hotel for the same price. The bedroom was large and bright and the open plan living room/kitchen was more than big enough for just me. I especially liked the huge floor to ceiling windows that looked over onto Gloucester Road. Obviously, being on a low floor and situated on such a busy street there was street noise but this doesn't actually bother me. I can sleep through anything and I quite like the hustle and bustle of London but travellers who like the peace and quiet should take note of the busy location of this hotel.

The apartment had all the creature comforts I would expect, tea and coffee making facilities, a well equipped kitchen, toiletries and probably the best hair-dryer I have come across in a hotel (women will understand the significance of this). The apartment was also very clean, the shower was powerful and hot and the bed was comfortable even though it was in fact 2 singles pushed together to make a double.

On the down-side the furniture was dated and one of the leather sofas was very ripped and tatty looking, needless to say I didn't sit on this one. The laminate wood floor in the living room was scratched and marked and in dire need of being replaced and the dark brown curtains throughout looked cheap, drab and dingy. Such a shame to have these hanging on such beautiful windows. The television in the bedroom also didn't work.

In the evening I popped out to grab some food and on my return found that my key would not open the front door. I had to ask the man on reception to come and help me with the door and after a few minutes of him fiddling with the lock and throwing himself against it it opened. He then turned to me, handed me back the key and told me next time I should just push it harder! Perhaps this is why they kept the door unlocked for check-in??

All in all, the apartments are in a great location and once inside the room you do have everything you need and expect from a 4 star accommodation. If I were the manager I would seriously consider removing the term luxury apartments from the description as luxury it is not. I would be happy to return here once the refurbishment is fully completed as it does have the potential to be great, just not yet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah G
My thanks to this guest for such a detailed and objective review of her stay. Although the building did not meet her expectations in all respect, I very much appreciate the many positive points made about the apartments and this guest's willingness to return, when we complete the changes currently in progress. It is very welcome to read the comment that "I was pleasantly surprised at the size, the room you get here is far more than you would get at an equivalent 4 star hotel for the same price"

Work in the Lobby involving any noise has only taken place between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. and is being finished up today (14th November). The remainder is essentially painting and placing new fittings, including new furniture, which will be done with as little disruption as possible and will, obviously, not take much longer. We have already fully completed the repainting and re-carpeting of apartment corridors.

Clearly, the apartment door should not have been open when the guest checked in. The doors of unoccupied apartments are left open during the day, whilst our Housekeeping team are working and I shall speak to our head Housekeeper to ensure that all doors are closed when they are finished.

We agree that some of the apartment furniture and fittings which we have inherited need to be changed and all apartments have been measured up for new carpets today.

I agree with this guest that the word "luxury" has been overused by our industry, sometimes in inappropriate circumstances. We do not use the word on our own web site but the previous owners did use it liberally and I am still finding places where it needs to be changed.

However, it is important to bear in mind that our efforts are mainly focussed on raising the standards of the apartments well above what they were.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The furniture in the room was dirty, bed is not convertable, the blonde girl in the reception was rude and not helpfull, even that i ask for an extention to check out at 12 noon, she refused while her coleague next to said its ok.
I would never thinj to stay again at this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
8 Thank alrashed2004
I am sincerely sorry that this guest gained such a poor impression and I do wish that he had spoken to me during his stay, as I would certainly have ensured that the issues were dealt with.

as I do in each case of feedback, I am working to identify the apartment in question, so that I can review it with our Head Housekeeper and ensure that it is brought rapidly up to standard.

Once again, our sincere apologies for the ways in which this guest was let down. We will work as a team to prevent a recurrence.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

After reading several negative reviews I was quite worried about my stay but have nothing but good things to say.

Easy to find from Gloucester Rd. station, and great location near bars and restaurants. I was staying with 3 friends, and a toddler and a cot was provided free of charge and ready and waiting in the room.

We stayed in 505, a 2 bed apartment. Yes the lobby was undergoing renovation, but the corridors are freshly painted and the carpet was brand new.

Inside our apartment, the lounge was great, lovely view of the rooftops of London, and a dining table and 2 sofas and a pouffe. The shower room and ensuite were clean and the showers were very powerful and hot. Shower gel and hats provided which was a nice touch.

The bedrooms were clean, beds comfy and giant flat screen tvs on the wall. The kitchen was small but had everything needed, brand new oven, microwave, washing up liquid and brush, water jug, plenty of cutlery etc. we stayed in as we had the toddler with us and cooked dinner from Waitrose round the corner.

Slept well, no noise and beds comfy.

Yes it is clear that renovations are ongoing and there was the odd annoyance eg a bulb had gone in the lounge and there was hole on the plasterboard under the sink. But for the price we paid and the location we thought it was brilliant and will definitely return if the standard remains this high.

Room Tip: 505 is lovely, nice views as up high and spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
MatthewBrooks, General Manager at The Harrington, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
It is very rewarding for the whole team to read such positive feedback and I am very grateful to this reviewer and guest. Additionally, the review will be extremely helpful to anyone considering staying her,e given all of the specific details about the area.

I am delighted to know that this guest was so happy with her stay and with her apartment. I am sorry for the minor respects in which we let her down and these are being attended to now.

It is a pleasure to read that our renovations of the corridors, only just completed, are already so appreciated and I am absolutely confident that the refurbishment of the Lobby will be similarly welcomed, once complete (soon).

Once again, we are delighted to have so pleased this guest with the standards. Standards will not be remaining this high - standards will rise ! In the meantime, we very much look forward to welcoming this guest back to The Harrington very soon.
Ayrshire
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The apartments can be seen from Gloucester Rd Tube station which makes the Harrington an excellent choice when carrying heavy luggage. We stayed for two nights and found the apartments to be clean and comfortable. In the immediate vicinity there are plenty of bars and restaurants of all kinds. Our one bed apartment was roomy and quiet with a modern fully fitted kitchen. A rollaway bed was provided for the third adult in our party which was adequate but not for a longer stay. A sofa bed would have been a better option. The sofas in the apartment have seen better days but it looks as though the building is undergoing a programme of refurbishment. Price wise it compares favourably with a hotel stay and gives you more flexibility. We will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 401 a one bed apartment overlooking the street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks indeed to this reviewer for very useful and positive feedback, which will be helpful to others considering staying in this area and, specifically, at The Harrington.

As has been noted, we do have a programme of refurbishment and are currently completing the repainting and re carpeting of the apartment corridors, whilst the refurbishment of the Lobby is ongoing to a very much higher standard than when our company took over the property in July. I recently initiated a blog on our web site, which shows some updates on this programme.

I very much appreciate this feedback and we really look forward to welcoming this guest back to The Harrington again soon.