“A top place to stay with great food”

The Harrison Gastro Pub and Hotel
Ranked #91 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Guisborough, United Kingdom
“A top place to stay with great food”
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I stayed at th Harrison for 2 nights with 7 friends, we had the whole place. We had a great time, the staff are all really friendly. the place is clean and really comfortable. Its a great place to stay in London.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed September 22, 2010

While this small guest house/B&B is not exactly in the center of the city, it is located just a short walk (10 min) to the King's Cross tube station (which is only a couple of stops from the heart of London's tourist attractions) and the BritRail train station. With only four guest rooms, it was very quiet and relaxing. There is a wonderful pub below the rooms but even over the weekend, it was not a disturbance. They room includes a full breakfast which can be brought to the room or eaten in the pub area. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and waited for my husband and I to arrive before closing up for the night as our flight didn't get in until midnight local time. When we were leaving and needed to check the Britrail schedule to train to Scotland, the staff let us use their computer and was very helpful with whatever we needed. The rooms are very basic but have enough space and we found them to be very clean.

Overall, great couple of nights here and would surely stay here again. It was nice to be able to come back from a long day of touring London to a quiet and relaxing small B&B. Well worth the price!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LindsayM10
Florida Keys
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I spent 3 nights in this hotel, and none of them were consecutive! I kept checking out to go to other places, but the staff was more than happy to hold my bags each time my travels presented an awkward situation:).
I booked this hotel from reviews found on traveler's sites, and was not disappointed. London is expensive, and the rates here were reasonable. I find it almost necessary to let others know about the place, but am not sure I would want its secret to get out, as I would like to get a room there when I am in London again!
First, the hotel/pub is in a nice residential neighborhood...there is no air conditioning, and my windows were open during my stay. I felt very safe, and really enjoyed listening to the sounds of children playing in parks and the voices of patrons at the outside picnic tables. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from King's Cross/St. Pancras stations, which was my reason for booking here. I needed easy access to the train. The walk to and from the hotel was quite safe (although I was never out at night.)
The rooms were very comfortable and clean and spacious. The bathroom was large, actually! The staff keeps an iron and board and a hair dryer in the hall window for use by guests, and that turned out to be quite convenient:).
I must comment on the food at the Harrison. Each morning, a very nice staff member would knock on my door at the exact time I had requested and deliver a huge tray of breakfast! I was able to sit in my room and enjoy breakfast in bed each day of my stay...lovely. I ate dinner in the pub and was completely impressed with the taste and quality of the food they serve. I must say that London is not my favorite city for good eats...and finding that this little pub/hotel had such delicious food was a welcome surprise. The sausage and mashed potatoes, the steak, the salad with roasted pears...yum...Everything was extremely good at the Harrison.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank duckkey3
Anglesey, Wales
Reviewed August 18, 2010

My daughter and I decided on a very last minute break to London and booked this hotel based on the tripadvisor reviews. I was a bit worried given that the rooms were over a pub but the minute we walked in we knew it was the right choice. The staff were really friendly and easy going, the room was great - really clean and had everything you needed, and the location was fantastic. I couldn't fault it. We ahd breakfast in the bar the next morning (you could choose to have it in your room or bar) and were surprised and delighted at the amount and quality of the food. It's in a residnertial street about 10 minutes away from Kings Cross and Russell Square underground so not much traffic noise to discturn our sleep. I would defnintely return to stay again.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank lilimax
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I can't really add much more to what has been said - this place is a real find. It's not a hotel so don't get any ideas about luxury and facilities - it is a pub with rooms but one that is clean, comfortable, friendly and (and this is the amazing bit for London) quiet and fairly cheap.

There is free wi-fi, the room I was in was a little shabby but not in a bad way, it wasn't dirty or anything, just, well, you know, basic and well-used . The en-suite bath was large and accommodating. The bed was big and comfortable.

The location is great, tucked in a quiet little area not far from Kings Cross/St.Pancras but quiet enough to guarantee that I could sleep with the windows open - not many places you would be happy to do that in London.

The rooms are over the pub and the pub itself, although it is a little '90s' in appearance with its bare floorboards and saggy sofas, is comfortable and welcoming, and (big plus for me this) has a great range of beer, including a few real ales and Belgian beers. The food portions are generous and although the menu is a little bog standard it is better prepared than most pubs and is reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
surrey
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We booked a last minute stay at the Harrison via LateRooms and were really pleased with the price and the ease of getting to the pub from King's Cross. The room was basic but fine, with amply stocked tea tray and good smellies in the bathroom. The night we stayed there was live music downstairs which was great fun, and the breakfast the next morning was top notch. Our only criticism was that the curtains let a bit of light in so we woke up early, and there was some traffic noise in the morning as we'd left the windows open. In all though, a good experience!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed only one night and left early in the morning. The room was clean and comfortble (impressive how you can furnish in a sober yet functional style a room using only Ikea products!) and the neighborhood silent and quiet. The service was super kind (the original booking was for one person, yet they acceped two more people sleeping in with a short notice ) and the pub downstairs offers a warm and familiar environment for a few drinks before going to sleep - we even managed to see a jam session of Irish music! Unfortunately we did not manage to try the breakfast, since we left too early. If you book through their websites you get cheaper rates. If you fancy "trendy" places, go somewhere else, but if you need a truly English experience, this place is the one! Ideal if you have to catch an early train from the close-by stations, much better of the cheap, dirty hotels around the block.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family