“Clean, comfortable and cosy”

The Harrison Gastro Pub and Hotel
Ranked #112 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Clean, comfortable and cosy”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at the Harrison in late April for 1 night. We opted for the double room with a bath in the adjoining en-suite (room 4). The room was quite small but it's nice and cosy. The bed is excellent and very comfortable. The bathroom is large and spacious. Both the room and bathroom are well lit and clean. The downsides would probably be the size of the room, the lack of storage space, and the fact that there are several flights of stairs to climb. Also the heating wasn't working but I can't criticise the owners for this as we hadn't asked exactly how to get it to work (there must be a way!) The downsides are certainly outweighed by all the positives however: the room and bathroom was very clean and comfortable; the location is excellent for both St Pancras and for central London; the breakfasts delivered to the room the next morning were fantastic and something you would expect in a posh 4 or 5 star hotel; the staff were kind and friendly throughout; there's a great pub downstairs that's only open for about 5 hours per night (i.e. it's really quiet and peaceful after around 11pm). I may stay here again in future and I would happily recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sundip M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Paris, France
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I chose to stay at the Harrison because it was once of the few places where I could find a room at the last minute. Now I know why. The rooms are advertised as having wifi. When I checked in, on a Sunday afternoon, I was given the keys to room 4. The room was smallish, but comfortable and clean. I pulled out my iPad to check a few addresses and couldn't even pick up the wifi network. I told the person who had checked me in. She told me that sometimes there is a problem with room 4 and that she would reboot the system. I went out and came back in the evening and once again could not get on the wifi in my room. It worked fine in the bar downstairs. However, I had selected the Harrison because they advertised wifi in each room (lots of hotel have wifi in the lobby . . ). I also informed the person who was working that the light over my bathroom sink didn't work. On Monday, once again,no wifi, but I was told that someone would go out and get a booster. I also told the person who was working that the light over my mirror still did not work and that it was a problem because I couldn't even see to put my makeup on. He suggested that I could downstairs (3 flights) to the public bathroom because there was a mirror with a light there. I was eventually able to get on the wifi, but was kicked off after a couple of minutes. I asked to change rooms and was told that they were full. Interestingly, each person I talked to about the wifi problems in my room said "Oh yeah, it never works in room 4!" The booster arrived on Tuesday and so did the electrician to fix the light in my room. So I had wifi and a mirror for 1+ of the 3 days that I stayed there. At checkout, they gave me a refund of 50 lbs (I had prepaid the room) as compensation for the problems. Everyone that I dealt with at this pub with rooms was very nice. But I wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 4!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Midlands
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Booked a one night stay as had a conference the following day. Quirky pub, rooms nice, no lift so if you have heavy luggate bear that in mind. check in the bar and then up to your room. Bathroom very very small. Beds comfortable. Best bit...........the food in the evening was fab, loved it! Busy bar, very friendly. You order breakfast the night before, which I don't like to do. You order it a specific time and it is ready at that time. I sat on my own, coffee came out, eggs came out with gorgeous toast, no offer of brown or white though, so white it is. Didn't see anyone again, so no coffee refil and no one asked if all okay. Left out the back door and again didn't see a sole. A bit odd, wouldn't stay overnight again but would definitely eat there in the evening.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

What a pity. What might have been a lovely weekend was ruined by the paper thin walls of this pub with rooms and a set of very talkative, very loud and very ill mannered neighbors (we were in room 3; room one also reported a sleepless night due to the same people!) We were awakened at 1:30 and they did not stop talking and singing until 5AM. We were exhausted the next day. The rooms are extremely basic and, altho many report them being clean, the carpets are not (edges are black) and bathrooms tiny and tired. On the good side, the food was superb and it is indeed well located. It's great having a pub downstairs and the pub noise was not a problem upstairs. We were there on a Sat. night and the place was absolutely heaving, so there was no place to settle and chat with our friends so we actually had to move on which was a pity. But it's an atmospheric place with various forms of entertainment and the bed was comfortable. The room is poorly lit, though, so if you have to read anything, bring a torch! Breakfast was great but we could have used more coffee so therefore "service" only gets a 4; otherwise service was good and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here on a flying visit to London, arriving late and leaving early the next morning. The Harrison fitted the bill at £135 for two including full breakfast and a few minutes walk from St Pancras or King Cross. The 'hotel' is really four rooms perched above a trendy little pub just off The Grays Inn Road. Collect your keys at the busy bar and the land lord shows you up the narrow flight of stairs to your accommodation. The carpets are a little tired and room badly lit but but the beds were spotless and very comfortable. Small shower room with a selection of nice toiletries and clean towels. Choose breakfast from a comprehensive selection to be served in the bar or in your room on a little menu card for the next morning, drop the card into the glass in the hallway and you're good to go. We had a good night's sleep but the arrival of the noisy chef for the early breakfast shift woke us up sooner than we would of wanted. We had booked breakfast for 7.45am and arrived in the bar at about 8am with only one other guest in the room. This turned out to be a tactical error since our breakfast had been pre-cooked for 7.45am and kept under the grill so by the time we had finished our cereal and yoghurt our cooked course was pretty dried out. We ate it but it could have been so much better if it had been cooked to order. We liked The Harrison and will likely go back, we didn't visit the pub but it looked like fun with a good neighborhood crowd and some interesting real ales on tap. Keep up the good work and a little more effort and this place could be a real find.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms to choose from but do ask for breakfast to be cooked to order.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
England
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Wouldn't have found this place if it wasn't for trip advisor. I was looking for something reasonably priced in kings cross which wasnt a travel lodge .

The absolute highlight was the breakfast which was brought to our room. Excellent high quality food. Room was clean and staff were friendly.

The reason I give only 4 stars is because the pub did not open early enough for us to try it out which was a real shame (6pm). I would definitely like to return.

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

7 mins walk from the Eurostar station, very welcoming staff and the food.......... well, such a big bonus. Gastro pub or what! The menu was amAzing, had the calves liver - melt in your mouth absolutely de - li- cious.

Excellent value all round. Definitely a must if you are enroute to Eurostar,but quite frankly will be revisiting just for the food and excellent service.

Room was clean, bottled water etc provided, toiletries too very quiet too and the breakfast next morning was perfect.

Can't wait for a return visit !!

Room Tip: Just be prepared for the stairs but its worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple