“Overall exactly what I expected”

The Wellington Hotel
Ranked #511 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 20, 2013

After reading many reviews I picked this hotel due to the location. My son was studying in London and his flat was right down the street...so I chose this option. It literally was across the street from the exit of the Waterloo Station which made my daugher and I very happy as we were exhausted when we arrived! We arrived at 1pm...were told that our room would not be ready til 2 so the staff put our luggage in a locked closet and we sat and had some lunch. The pub was nice and cozy...
The lack of an elevator would not work for everyone ...but for us it was fine. We were taken to a room on the 3rd floor in the rear....a nice manager carried our bags up for us! I would highly suggest the rear of the building since the only noise was the occasional train....to be honest I was worried about noise after reading reviews but the occasional train did not bother us in the least...and we often cracked open the window due to the heat in the room. The room was VERY small...but servicable....we were only in the room after dinner or early in the am....Bathroom was decent sized. We got exactly what we paid for...a decently priced London hotel in a great location...in fact I felt that I got more that I could have hoped for in some ways. I really researched our trip and stayed for 4 nights...my total bill was $450! We walked EVERYWHERE from this location....the low cost of the hotel allowed me to splurge on lunch and dinner out with my kids! I would stay here again. They could do some sprucing up of the carpets...but the linens and towels were clean and fresh...the breakfast was a nice bonus too.

Room Tip: Rear of building...anything but the front of building I would say...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to do a review of the Wellington. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. You are right in mentioning that the lack of a lift may be a problem for some people. Also you mentioned the carpets could do with a spruce up. We are hoping to have this done sometime this year. I do hope you enjoyed your time with us and would consider us when visiting London again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Value for money is excellent, its a short walk away from Big Ben, & literally over the road from the tube, which gets you to anywhere, very quickly, Its a pub, with rooms! the room was en suite, with a good shower, clean & tidy, it was not very big, & could probably do with a lick of paint, but thats my only moan! its only £95 a night, bang in the heart of London, & the breakfast is great, the staff are friendly, polite and helpful & It is a proper English pub with a great atmosphere, I cant really rate this place high enough, I've been to plenty of budget priced hotels in London, over the years, and this is definitely the best, by a country mile. Foreign visitors, would get a proper feel of London staying here. And check out the ceiling murals!! excellent.

Room Tip: Our room was directly below the rail bridge,& facing the main road but it did not disturb our sl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dave, thanks for your comments and feedback. We know we are not the Ritz, but we do try to make everyone feel welcome and have a good stay.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Wellington was everything I expected. I liked the pub(reception) had good food and a great breakfast. rooms where small but good enough. Staff was helpful. Most of all though was the location. Just a 5 min walk from Westminster Bridge and even closer to the London Eye. was a big bonus being directly accross the road from the Waterloo station. enjoyed my stay and enjoyed watching the soccer with the locals in the pub downstairs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2013

If you stay somewhere central in London for £95 a night, it's actually a rather good. That is particularly so when somewhere like the Wellington is right across the road from Waterloo station, and so it seemed like the perfect crash-pad for after a wedding in town.

The room was not bad at all, and the bathroom facilities were decent too. The sleep was pretty undisturbed, but it may have helped that I'd been out on the sauce until 3.00 am, and all-round it was nice and convenient. The breakfast in the morning was also very nice.

However, I have marked it down from a 4-star rating because of the customer service. Let's not be under any illusions - central London customer service is generally poor anyway, but this was remarkable. Not only was there almost zero effort made to accommodate a request to check in half an hour early so that I could make the wedding (eventually done after much begging and cajoling), but I was shouted at - yes, genuinely SHOUTED AT - by the waitress in the morning when I had the temerity to ask whether she had a menu I could take a look at. Totally unnecessary, and it put a bit of a downer on what was otherwise a reasonably decent stay.

You never know, maybe I caught that waitress on a bad day (and her check-in colleagues the day before on a bad day too), but if you are prepared to look past all that, then I guess you'd have to say that a sub-£100 stay in central London is worth a go.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Mark L, Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. We appreciate all feedback that we do get and we try to act on both good and bad feedback to improve our standards. We do try to accomodate indivudual requests about early check in which in some cases is easier than others depending on the previous nights occupancy. Once again, many thanks for your comments.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I checked in on a busy night and was given the last room. The room rate is approx 95, with breakfast. The room was v.noisy; the decoration tired; the ventilation poor. Of course if you have had one over the eight then all this will not matter........but this is not good value for money.

Room Tip: Dont!!! There are much better value rooms elsewhere
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank royparrott

I am replying to your comments made on the 24th April 2013. Comments taken onboard. We are hoping to spend some money on the rooms this year. With regards to the noise, we are in central London just opposite Waterloo Station. This is something that disturbs some and not others. On the subject of one over the eight, when you stay with is again, if you buy the first eight, I will buy nine and ten!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

my sister and i have just came back from a one night stay at the wellington, room was nice and clean, lovely full english breakfast and its in a excellent location facing waterloo station. staff were really helpful and friendly especially the manager/owner. dont normally write reviews but was a little bit wary about going to stay there after reading a couple of them on here, but i will definatley stay there again next time i go to london. EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My Daughter and myself stayed at the wellington while visiting London to see Peter and Alice in the Noel Cowards Theatre. I paid £95 for the one night for a room with 2 beds in and that price included 2 full breakfasts.
When we checked in the girl was friendly enough she checked us in and pointed us to the direction of out room which was on the 2nd floor ( room 19 ) steep stairs which were quiet narrow, non the less once we got to our room we found it quite basic really with stained carpets and over looking a busy road. The bathroom was clean enough with a good shower. To be honest the room suited us as it was only for one night and at the end of the day where are you going to get a good hotel at a good price in London.
Downstairs was the pub which did food and that was good as well, the breakfast in the morning i also thought was good.
So summing up, you pay for what you get. Remember its in london.

Room Tip: Room 19 over looks the main road which is noisey
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family