“Too noisy”

The Wellington Hotel
Ranked #496 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The breakfast in the morning was good and the room was warm and tidy, fairly clean but the bed was uncomfortable and the sheets (detergent?) made me itch.... but by far the worst thing was the noise. You just could not get to sleep. My room (118) overlooked the busy main road /opp Waterloo station, they provide ear plugs but these simply do not stop the noise and I think sleep is the minimum requirement you should expect from a hotel

Room Tip: Do not have a room that overlooks the road
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Toni_Pantaloni

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very warm welcome, greeted by friendly staff. Shown to our room and was extremely pleased! Very well presented, clean rooms. It's nice to have a room with so much in it and so much space considering the location! Hairdryer, iron and board, tea and coffee and even biscuits! Ear plugs are also provided although, we found once the window was closed they really weren't necessary? We're not heavy sleepers either but the noise isn't a problem at all! The shower is incredible! Very powerful and nice and hot! :) Breakfast was amazing!! Nice freshly cooked to order breakfast, croissants, cereal, juices, tea and coffee. We will definitely recommend this hotel and would happily stay again on our return to London. It's very reasonably priced for the ideal location it is in. It is dead opposite Waterloo station - perfect!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17 and had no problems :o)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Natalie B
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our friends booked this in January 2012 for New Years Eve and for that reason the location is perfect to get to areas needed to see in the new year and watch the fireworks. If you are looking for a room with a view and with a wow factor then this place if most definitely not for you. However, if you are looking for somewhere reasonably priced and just a place to rest your head then because of location this is fine. You are literally on the doorstep of Waterloo station and yes the trains do run by your window dependant on which side of the hotel your on. Earplugs are provided and they help reduce the noise level along with double windows. The rooms are small and cleanish, not Ritz standard!! and they really could do with a bit of tlc. Our room in particular had broken sockets, missing lampshades and some lights not working.

We had been told it was bed and breakfast but upon arrival there was a sign on the desk stating that breakfast is not served on New Year's Day but they do not have a set check out time which is good when you not climbing into bed until 4/5 o'clock in the morning which most other hotels would not do.

We did have a meal in the pub which was nice and the bar itself is very good and lively. The prices were very reasonable for London which is a surprise.

I would say this place would be good for a lads weekend or for a New Year's Eve if you can look past the basics and just see it as a place to sleep after celebrations!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We turned up before we were meant to arrive and the staff were more than happy to take our bags so we could go around London for the day. The room we were given wasn't the same as the picture on the website, but was still nice. Our door did not close properly so we found ourselves coming back to our room later with the door till open! As other people said it is noisy but I had the window open, it's bearable. Shower was nice and easy to use but the bathroom mat was mouldy. Breakfast was great but some misunderstanding with staff when ordering. The location is the best thing about this place, best place to be! I would stay here again and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Whilst not as strident as Daniella1508 in her review I'm closer to that assessment of this hotel than any of the others. I've always liked it as a watering hole near the station but I wouldn't recommend staying there especially if they tout themselves as being value for money. They shouldn't, it isn't. I usually stay at Premier Inn in County Hall and that would be my first recommendation for anyone who wanted to stay in this part of London.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank ray_cormick
Reviewed December 17, 2012

i stayed here in November and I thought that the whole place was put together really well. trains pass regularly but I had no trouble sleeping. The bar closes at around midnight so even if you stay on one of the bottom floors you will be able to sleep quite easily. the family rooms are situated at the top so that small children can get to sleep earlier and when at the top it's impossible to hear the bar at all. the rooms are clean and don't 'smell', as I've seen in other reviews, and the rooms are very comfortable. waterloo station is just across the street and London Euston is about a half hour walk so the wellington is very well connected. it's close to the river front and the bus tours stop close by so a lot of well known attractions are easy to access. the food was really nice and the staff were all very courteous. overall my trip was really good and i would recommend this hotel to anybody going to London

Room Tip: rooms at the top are very good as there is no noise heard at all
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Thomas F
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for business but it was awful. All the trains passed literally by the window, the earplugs provided did little to dim the noise and the whole room vibrated. My partner is in the Air Force and I've spent many years on bases listening to aircraft flying so I'm used to noise but my god, this was bad. I might as well have slept on the platform, at least that would be free! The green emergency light wasn't above the door, it was in the middle of the ceiling and shone onto the bed making it impossible to lie without it shining in your face. This combined with the noise made sure that I didn't sleep a wink for the 2 nights. I never sampled the breakfast as I had to be up early the 1st night and I just wanted to escape the next morning. You couldn't pay me to stay here again, it smells, the main business is clearly the pub not the hotel, it's dirty, the key cards were temperamental and it was expensive for what it is. The only good things I could possibly say is it's literally outside Waterloo station so is well linked, the bedroom decor has been thought out and the free toiletries are good quality.

• Stayed: November 2012