“Busy place”

Sussex
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: The Sussex in Covent Garden is a traditional London pub. You'll find us on Upper St Martins Lane, where Covent Garden connects to Leicester Square. Our menu is in the best tradition of British pub food. Best enjoyed with a drink, friends and always with a warm welcome. The area where the Sussex pub is situated has been a recognised thoroughfare since Saxon times. In Roman times this area also connected Westminster to the City of London. During the reign of King John (1199-1216) Long Acre was recorded as the northern boundary of the Covent Garden of the monks of St. Peter's Abbey. Over the years the area has been home to royalty, cartwrights and fruiterers in addition to famous names such as Nicholas Stone the sculptor, Oliver Cromwell and John Dryden. Today the area is still a bustling hub of activity connecting Covent Garden to Leicester Square. Our downstairs bar with a capacity of up to 100 is available to hire for private parties and functions. The team at the Sussex look forward to welcoming you!
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stopped in on a hot afternoon for something to eat. The place was packed but I was able to snag a table by the bar. The nachos were ok, nothing like what I was expecting but good non the less. Prices were decent.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Decent meeting place for central, good atmosphere, music and staff considering its part of spirit group.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Spending a few days in London, I had planned to enjoy a steak pie and was in the Covent Garden area of so I stopped at the Sussex Pub. This is part of the massive Taylor and Walker chain of pubs and I've had their food on previous visits. Its located on a busy corner between the Covent Garden and Leicester Square tube stations and has both indoor and outdoor seating.

The steak pie was filled with bits of steak, rich gravy surrounded by a nice crust and served with mashed potatoes and vegetables. The price was reasonable at less than £10. The service was great and the atmosphere was friendly. The on-duty manager asked me twice if everything was good. Of course I replied with "yes". I added a couple of pints and had a memorable, tasty meal.

1  Thank sdflyer
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a decent pub. Neither spectacular nor dreadful.
Nice stop if you are wanting a rest or just to refersh the 'spirit'.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This Pub is part of a Chain but I must admit the food was very correct. The staff was very pleasant and smiling. We had our lunch downstairs as we were a group of 20. My only regret is that the London Pride was not available as I had told my people to try it and that the Coffee machine was broken on that day. But I would not hesitate to bring a group again.