LSE Grosvenor House Studios
$215
$159
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdrury lanestudent accommodationcentral locationexcellent locationsmall bathroomtwin bedslong weekendgreat place to staycomfortable roomdefinitely stay here againsingle roomshort staykitchenettehobdesktubecleanliness
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I booked a double en-suite studio at GH for two nights as I was attending the Frightfest film festival in Leceister Square. I had read both good and bad reviews about the accommodation so was unsure what to expect, however, I was pleasantly surprised.

The location is excellent, right on the doorstep of Covent Garden, Leicester Square and Shaftsbury Avenue. Amazing shops and restaurants all around and only a few minutes walk to the Covent Gardent tube station and about ten minutes to get to Leceister Square.

The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly. My room was on the 5th floor, accessible by two lifts or stairs. The room itself was very light and comprised a double bed, kitchenette with hob, microwave and fridge, table/chairs and an en-suite bathroom. The only critisism with the room was that there was no kettle - despite a host of other kitchen utensils, plates and pots etc. The room was quite hot and the windows only open a certain amount but the room was provided with an electric fan which was good.

The bed was fairly comfortable but the mattress was a bit lumpy - possible due to age, but the towels, sheets and bathroom were all very clean. The shower is very 'snug' but luckily I am slim so had no problems!

I booked the Continental breakfast option which is £5 and you have to walk to the Holborn House building about 5 mins away. The breakfast was ok, but on the second day I chose to eat in a local cafe and have a cooked breakfast instead.

Would I book again? Yes. Grovesnor House offers good value in a prime location. If you are expecting 5 star luxury and a trouser press then this is not for you, but if you are happy with a clean. safe and friendly place to stay at a fair price then I suggest you give them a go.

I would definately book

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Ademitch
Reviewed August 20, 2011

There are two good things about this place: some (but not all) of the staff are friendly, and the location is very convenient to the tube and Covent Garden's lively shopping area.

The room was extremely basic, typical student digs. Hadn't been refurbished in several years by the looks of things. But that would have been okay had the room actually been clean-- but it wasn't. There was hair in the shower, the sink was grimy and dirty especially round the taps, and the toilet was heavily stained. In the main room, the bed also had hair over the sheets, and in under the duvet. Worrying as it implies they were not changed. At one point I went to plug something in under the desk and when I stood up I was covered in fluff and dust, so this area had clearly not been vacuumed for a while. I soon started to notice that my asthma was playing up, which I put down to sleeping in a dustier room than I would normally.

The kitchenette was only basically equipped with mismatched (not in a charming way) bits and pieces, and the cutlery was grimy and not washed properly. The microwave didn't seem to have been cleaned very well either, as there were signs of food inside it. The inside of the kettle was literally disgusting. I couldn't use it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2010

As I had heard good reputation about Grovenor House (as one of the best student halls of LSE), my expectation was much higher than what I actually experienced. I thought this was just an average student hall (in terms of the smell of the kitchen and stains on the floor). Nonetheless, the location was superb and you would not regret if the main reason for choosing Grovenor House was its location for such a reasonable price. Furthermore, the size of the room was big enough (for London).

It was annoying that the fire alarm rang around 5am and we had to evacuate the building. I didn't think it was a real fire - this may be an occasional event you need to expect when staying at a student hall.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Alice3131
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Great place to stay. Located less than a 10 minute walk to the tube station, and about a 25 minute walk away from piccadilly. If all you need is a place to sleep and store your luggage, then this is the place. Internet is 4 pounds for every 20 minutes or so, but there's a starbucks around the corner that has free internet. The beds are comfortable enough. TVs only get 4 channels, but I didn't go to London to watch TV. All in all a pretty awesome place to stay-I just wish it was open all year around. Will for sure be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank mattyboy81
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Hi I stayed at Grosvenor House with a friend in a twin bedded apartment. It was clean, spacious and quiet. There were good cooking facilities and with M&S food just down the road we saved a fortune on eating out in London. It's in a great location. The staff on the desk were very friendly. I'll definitely stay there again when I visit London.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business