“Great find in London”

Hotel Indigo London-Paddington
Ranked #203 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 5, 2010

With so many hotels in London, it's tough to find one that's modern, clean,and reasonably priced. Luckily, we stumbled on the Hotel Indigo during our search and were very pleased we booked it. The rooms are modern, and though they're small, that shouldn't be a deal-breaker because really, how much time do you spend in hotel rooms when your travel? The location next to Paddington Station is ideal and there are numerous Tube stations within walking distance. I would recommend the Indigo to anyone who wants a lovely room and great location in a city crawling with thousands of options, many of which are questionable.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Linforth, Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

A BIG THANK YOU for highly recommending Hotel Indigo to future guests.

We do hope you stumble through our doors again and enjoy our hospitality.

Reviewed April 3, 2010

The Hotel is a short walk to Paddington station and the Heathrow Express. It is modern and brightly decorated.

We stayed in an Executive King Room on the third floor overlooking Norfolk Square. The room was quiet, well decorated and designed and featured a modern, compact bathroom with a large, luxurious shower. The room also had a large desk.

The staff were friendly and helpful and responded positively to any of our requests.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

What a fantastic review. Our sincere thanks.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2010

Small rooms, as do most London hotels. The differences is that it's clean and modern, which really, is all that matters when traveling.
The hotel management seem to be working hard by replying to reviews.
A fine hotel to stay at. Although nothing much around the area at night time, but it's a short ride from Paddington Station to anywhere.
One small thing, the day shift gentleman at the reception can be unfriendly at times. Perhaps due to long days or what not. Regardless, front desk is about customer services, a smile is greatly appreciated. Long face is not what we paid for. Not to mention the front desk represents the hotel.
Aside from that, a fine stay in London.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Many thanks for writing a review for Hotel Indigo.
Im suprised you found nothing to do around the area at night? Paddington has a great selection of restaurants and local bars only a short walk way.
Please accept our sincere apology for our receptionist not smiling, this is unacceptable and is being actioned.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed at the HI, we chose it mainly for the location but also for the quality of the room. As a Platinum member for IHG group, we often take advantage of offers and reward nights, and this htoel certainly poses great value.

The general locality has Paddington station (with M&S Food, Krispy Kreme, Sainsbury's local) KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, various local pubs, lebanese restaurant, a couple of small middle eastern restaurants, newsagents (quite expensive as many hotels in the area).

On our previous stay we were allocated a room at the front of the hotel, so this time we chose a room at the back with a terrace (fairly pointless as it rained all the time and the terrace had a view of the building at the back). This was a stay for Valentines day,and our only fault was that upon arrival the recpetion staff gave the game away about roses that my other half had had delivered to the room (this was unintentional, but the phrase 'wifi is flowers in room' got confused along the way and we understood it to mean 'flowers for wife are in room'!!) No great problem, but did spoil the surprise a little!

Rooms are compact, but very stylish in decor. Lots of scatter cushions and contemporary design - bathrooms have a huge rain shower and handheld attachement. Toiletries on this trip were not the same quality as the Aveda ones we were suppled with on the first trip (which was literally after the hotel had opened so we wander if they are making savings?) Rooms also have IPod dock (which also charges) large flatscreen TV, numerous lamps, water/chocolates, chaise longue etc.

We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant on this occasion, having eaten there previously and finding it to be just 'OK'. Breakfast is much more reasonable at the Cafe Mimo next door (approx. £4 for a full english) and staff are welcoming. As a tip for food lovers, we ate at 'Arbitus' in Soho(google for more info-it's worth it), recently awarded it's first Mitchelin star, and their pre-theatre dinner was only £20 for two courses. We chose off the main menu and had fabulous beef and amazing desserts!!

All in all, having stayed at various Crowne Plaza's across the city and also the Intercontinental on Park Lane-we always chose to return the the Hotel Indigo.

Tips:

-Get Krispy Kreme doghnuts from Paddington Station across the road to have with in-room coffee!!!

-Take a shower cap if you do not want to get your hair wet from the Rain Shower. The hotel does not provide one.

-Take the bus into town rather than the tube, you get to see so much more. It leaves right outside the underground station entranceand does not take long at all (Buy an Oyster card for ease of travel and savings)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Linforth, Operations Director at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2010

Many thanks for booking with us for a second time, It does show we are getting it right. Please accept my apology for the receptionist accidently letting it slip about the roses. Reviews such as your are really great and useful to our other future guests, who may not have stayed in the Paddington area or even London before. And and again we thank you for this. P.S. I completly agree about the Krispy Kreme Dounuts, they are fab even at my desk with a morning coffee.
We look forward to welcoming you back a third time and this time the Krispy kremes are on us.

Reviewed March 12, 2010

The reviews here are very accurate. I was alone and put in a standard double. It would be very tight for two people, but served for one. To be honest, I have been in ship cabins with more room. It was mostly awkward when it came to storing luggage---mine did not fit under the bed--I doubt many would--- so the bags were just there, in the way. The desk was little more than a ledge in terms of its depth, and a bit awkward to sit at. Still, the room is modern, very clean, and pretty much what you see in the pics. I was on the third floor and the wifi was excellent. Often the free wifi in hotels is a spotty situation at best.
My bathroom was also small, but well appointed. The water was not super hot in my case, but hot enough. If you don't care for rain showers, you can use the spray wand instead--just turn the water's on/off knob in the opposite direction, to the right from the off position. They now have a sign warning about burning your rear end on that towel warmer, by the way. you can adjust its heat, or throw a towel over it to protect yourself. And they have extension cords so the hair dryers can be used at the one mirror in the bathroom.
A word on the lights. There are two master switches. One is beside the door, the other is beside the bed. In my case it was on the side of the bed least likely to be used by one person (since it would be hard to squeeze in over there--unfortunately the phone was on that side too). I spent a good amount of time figuring out that other one was there when I could not get the lights to turn on one evening.
For location this can't be beat, and is as close to the station as others indicate. An easy walk down a not too busy street. You can't miss the long blue awning of the hotel. The area looks a bit seedy, as areas around train stations often do. But it is active enough in the evening that as a woman alone I never felt uncomfortable. There is an excellent Indian restaurant three doors down, and decent Italian place next to that, and right next door is Mimo's Italian coffee bar, with excellent large lattes for two pounds. (also full english breakfasts and other food).
A few gripes, and none of them are the fault of the helpful staff working there. They are only executing management's directives, after all. They have this hold business on your credit card that you will read about in other reviews. It was initially presented to me as a "charge" and I balked until it was clarified as a hold, but you may want to make sure which it is in your case. This whole element as you check in starts things off badly, in my opinion. I'm not sure who they think is going to stay there, but there is this undercurrent of someone somewhere, maybe the owner, worrying that customers are going to rip them off somehow. It is just a little unpleasant, and also very unnecessary from the looks of the patrons that I saw. The other gripe is the recorded voice in the elevator. She tells you to watch the door, on which floor you are, etc. It gets tedious fast, and it results in a slow elevator too. Maybe it is some new EU requirement? I ran into it at a museum too, which had a new elevator.
I do not hesitate to recommend this hotel. Value is always an issue, though. I had an online deal. I'm not sure I would be as enthusiastic if I paid rack rates for a room this tiny, no matter how impressed I was that the designer had a thing for the golden ratio.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank writerteacher001
Linforth, Group Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2010

Many thanks for taking the time time to write a review on Hotel Indigo Paddington. We do strive to be the best in all areas. And you can be assured be read each and every review and always act on our guests feedback and recommendations. Some of our double for sole occupancy rooms are we like to say a little more compact than our normal executives, small but perfectly formed.
Yet again many thanks for your review and we look forward to your return, maybe to one of our executive rooms with a private patio terrace next time.

Reviewed March 12, 2010

We were there during the last week of February, 2010 for 6 nights.

The hotel is a little over one block south of Paddington Station which is very handy since we arrived at about 11:30 PM using the Heathrow Connect train on a Tuesday night. We paid about 205 GBP/night including breakfast.

It took about 15 minutes using the Hammersmith & City Tube line to get to St. Pancras station when we left and there are only 4 steps in one set of stairs to get from the street to the tube platform. There are a number of major bus routes running on Praed Street (½ block from the hotel) and there are three Tube lines going through Paddington Station so it is very easy to get anywhere in London in 20 minutes or less.

The Executive King room, which faced the street, with a single king bed was too small for such a large bed, there was very little room between the bed and the walls. There was no storage for clothes except for the single wardrobe that also has a minibar and a safe in it. We had to stash some of our luggage in the corners and on the small day bed in front of the bed. I looked into one of the Standard rooms which face the back of the hotel. These were even smaller than the room we had.

The windows can be opened to allow fresh air in. The hotel is fairly new and in relatively good condition. The staff are friendly and try to be of service. It is fairly quiet there except for the garbage collection and street sweeping which are done between 11PM and midnight but these are done quickly. There was free high speed wired and wireless internet connectivity in the room but they changed the pass code every few days.

The bathroom was tiny with only a shower stall, no tubs in any of the rooms I was told. There was an electrically heated towel rail on one wall that had a warning sign about being hot. The thermostat for the towel rail didn't do anything, you had either off or "surface of sun" hot.

The heat function was welcome because it was the only source of heat in the bathroom. The forced air heating and cooling system while blowing quite well in the main room didn't produce much warm air. It got down to freezing at night outside when we there.

The combination of the lights, the heat from the plasma TV and the bathroom towel rack did manage to keep the room at a reasonable temperature for me (my wife was cold). I inquired about the heat and they offered to look at it but after the problem with the TV (see below) I figured to just leave well enough alone.

The sink was an on-the-counter bowl style, which while very stylish, is impractical in that being parabolic and close to the faucet tends to splash water out as at was going in if you weren't careful when turning on the water.

When we went into the room the Phillips plasma TV had been turned on with a welcome screen but I noticed a major problem with the picture that did disappear after 30 minutes or so of warm-up. They didn't have another room available though. They were never able to fix the problem despite trying two other TVs. They didn't offer me the choice of moving to another room until Thursday or Friday of that week and said that they wouldn't even be able to fix the TV until the following week. At least the picture stabilized after 30 minutes or so. One of the front desk personnel told me that they had gone through 5000 GBPs of their spare TVs without fixing the problem. It would have been cheaper for them to have moved us the next day.

There was a choice of several types of breakfast, buffet, English, etc. There was a limited but adequate selection for the buffet which only cost about 7 GBP (if it hadn’t been included in the rate) which is quite reasonable compared to the cost in Germany and France and other London hotels.

Overall the hotel was adequate but the room was too small for us, being there almost an entire week. However, the cost was reasonable compared to that at the Marriott Marble Arch (where we have stayed several times before) and the rate there didn't include breakfast there.

Upon checkout the front desk person gave me the email address of the hotel’s General Manager whom he said wanted feed back on our experience. I sent an email but haven’t received a reply yet.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Linforth, Director of Operations at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2010

We appricate your comments and apologise for any small problems you had during your stay. We strive to ensure every guest leaves Hotel Indigo feeling revitalised. Hotel Indigo is a modern stylish boutique hotel with our Executive rooms being very popular and spacious compared to many other hotels in London.
Please accept our sincere apology for you not getting a responce to an email. Please could you send it to us at customercare@lth-hotels.com where I will personally ensure it is responded to and actioned.
You can be assured we at Hotel Indigo always listen and act upon our guests comments and recommendations.

Thank you for taking your time to let us know. It is appreciated.

Reviewed March 1, 2010

I thought it was a lovely, well thought out hotel. It’s dazzlingly white with splashes of colour and twinkling lights. It’s probably trying a bit too hard, but who cares, hotels should be OTT!

We arrived before 10am, so we couldn’t check in, but they said we could leave our bags, and they would try to have a room ready for us by noon. After a 4am start, we had a reviving coffee in its nice café bar before facing an always bustling London.

We got back to the hotel about 6pm. Check in was easy. The girls on reception were smart and sassy, and we had a joke about the £50 they freeze on your credit card for damage to the room. My boyfriend thought £50 was a bargain if it covered the cost of doing something rock n roll like chucking a TV out of a window.

The room was stylish and comfortable and had everything we needed. The mini bar was stocked with soft drinks and snacks that were typically overpriced, but not extortionate. The contemporary chaise lounge and armchair gave the room another dimension, so much so, that rather than go out, we popped a bottle of champagne and ate take out from nearby Comptoir Libanais in our room.

I had two niggles about the hotel.
1. No hot water in our room on the Sunday morning. I called reception, and they got the handy man to look into it, but they couldn’t figure out what the problem was. They were very apologetic, and had the problem occurred earlier in our stay, I’m sure they would have done more to sort it out, but as we were just about to check out, no action was taken. I think they could have offered us breakfast or something as a goodwill gesture.

2. My boyfriend had to wait a good few days for the £50 they froze on his card to become available again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Many many thanks for your kind and positive review on Hotel Indigo. We are pleased you liked its modern yet relaxing design.
P.S regarding the £50, we instantly release the funds, once we know the TV has not been thrown out the window. But sometimes it takes individual banks a few days to react.
Yet again many thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.