“Exceptionally convenient location, spotlessly clean rooms, friendly service”

Hotel Indigo London-Paddington
Ranked #168 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Seattle
“Exceptionally convenient location, spotlessly clean rooms, friendly service”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

This hotel is located just a block from Paddington station.
The rooms are a good size by London standards. They are spotlessly clean. I found the room quite quiet. I never heard other residents.

The first floor has a lovely private outside sitting area with a canopy and heat lamp.

The light system is odd. You have to insert your room card to turn on the lights. If you remove the card the lights go out. There is a huge flat screen TV and a radio with an iPod dock. The bathroom has a really powerful shower, the nicest I have ever had in a hotel. There is no outlet for the hair dryer (which is provided) in the bathroom.
The coffee maker is a hot water pot. Instant coffee only is provided but there is a nice assortment of tea. Fortunately, the Phi Restaurant downstairs has great coffee.
The desk staff is helpful, and always pleasant. The first day there I blew a fuse and someone was there to fix it in 2 minutes. They brought extra hangers right away. The cleaning staff was excellent. The room was spotless.
My only complaint is that the desk was not as knowlegable about how to do things such as print up boarding passes. They are not aware that you can top up your phone sim card at the convenience store next door. they did not know that there is a tourist board in Paddington station. All in all I would recommend this hotel. I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Indigo_Paddington, Hotel Manager at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this review, October 14, 2009
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback about Hotel Indigo London Paddington on Trip Advisor. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

I was very happy to read that you found the room very clean and the service you received prompt and efficient.

I also read that you found our staff a little short of local knowledge, this is an area I will address to ensure we can offer guests exceptional service.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, if I can be of any future assistance. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

James Mahaffey
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Type of trip: Pleasure
Room Type Stayed in on Trip: Executive Room

Main things I look for this type of trip are:
Quiet Rooms
Clean Room
Welcoming / comfortable room
Good shower
Good size towels
Room fan / aircon
Black-out curtains
Ironing Board in Room
Comfortable bed, duvet, with the ability to request feather pillow
Internet in Room with area to work
Enough sockets to plug Laptop and phones
Films on Demand on TV and good size TV
Toiletries provided and ability to order bathrobe and slippers
Room service
Good breakfast
Extras (Fitness room, sauna, steam room, pool)

This hotel fared as follows:

Quiet room: Quiet

Clean room: Very

Welcoming / comfortable room: Newly refurbished, very inviting and unique décor.

Good shower: Best shower I have ever had in a hotel (no bath)

Good size towels: Largest towels I have had in any hotel I have stayed at.

Room fan / aircon: Yes, new and individually controlled.

Black-out curtains: No, the windows have “black-out” blinds but these are not “fitted” so light gets round them. Not the best if you require your room to be really dark.

Ironing Board in Room: No but can be delivered on request.

Comfortable bed, duvet, with the ability to request feather pillow: Very comfortable bed, with duvet, but no ability to order any feather pillow and the pillow provided were thin and really not comfortable. This was in stark contrast to everything else in the room.

Internet in Room with area to work: Free Wireless internet and wired internet at a fee.

Enough sockets to plug Laptop and phones: Yes

Films on Demand on TV and good size TV: Very large flat screen TV with films on demand and package including wired internet and all films for £25.

Toiletries provided and ability to order bathrobe and slippers: Toiletries provided and good quality, ability to order bathrobe. No slippers.

Room service: Yes

Good breakfast: Very good breakfast in coffee shop / patisserie style hotel restaurant.

Extras (Fitness room, sauna, steam room, pool): Fitness room (did not have time to check it out.

Overall:

Very good hotel especially for those looking for something a little different to the usual “chain” look without too much risk as it is still part of the Intercontinental Group of Hotels. The hotel sells its self as a boutique hotel and does pull this off quite well. The room was very comfortable and welcoming and had some really nice extras like a wireless handset for the phone, a spa like shower and really nice big bath towels. Most of the hotel overlooks a very green square which adds to the charm. The following were the small issues that I encountered:

1) Called in twice over the two months prior to arrival to specifically request a twin room, they only had a king size executive on our arrival even though they said that they could see my request on the system. I recommend that you speak to the manager if you have a booking and it does not specifically state what type of room you have and you need something specific to avoid what we experienced.
2) I do expect the ability to order a different type of pillow in a hotel in this class especially when all other “Holiday Inn” and “Crowne Plaza” in this hotel group provide this. This hotel does not and the staff seemed totally baffled that I could possibly expect this.
3) The hot water control in the (very good) showers need to be adjusted slightly. It is not possible to increase the temperature of the water and the maximum temperature is just about “ok”. The water temperature while you shower also seems to fluctuate between “ok” and “not so hot”.
4) There was a real mix up after our checkout with the mini bar. We were asked at checkout if we had used anything in the mini bar, to which the reply was no. So it was a total surprise to then receive an email three hours later informing me that my credit card had been charged for three items from the mini bar. I was asked when I called the hotel to email “head office” as the hotel did not issue refunds. All very disappointing. It was only after I sent a chaser email a day later to the hotel manager that the charges were refunded with an apology. My recommendation for anyone who is worried about this happening to them is to get the mini bar checked when you check in and again before you check out, like that there is no question what has or has not been consumed.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Linforth, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this review, December 10, 2013

Hermanus, South Africa
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Indigo for three nights. We felt welcome from the moment we entered the reception area until we left there. The staff were extremely helpful at all times. Both the room and bathroom were of a good size for London.

The location is perfect for travelling to and from London, as well as easy access to the Underground. Their prices may be a bit steep for the area and what they offer, but I will always recommend this place to others.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Had a one night stay for a works-do around the corner at a much more expensive hotel. I hadn't come across the Hotel Indigo brand before, in fact I'd never even stayed at a boutique hotel either so I was unsure what to expect. The room was small but had everything I needed including free wi-fi and a well designed bathroom. As I was only there for one night the size was fine but I'm not sure how many nights I could have managed before it seemed too small. My room was out the back and so largely quiet, although I did struggle to sleep, mainly down to being too hot which is my fault rather than the room so I ended up with the air con on and eventually got down to some quality zzzzzzs.

Great location, I found all the staff to be of a very high quality - professional, welcoming and friendly and the bar/cafe downstairs was excellent and good value.

Full marks for a funky hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Seattle
Reviewed September 28, 2009

At the right price, this is a very nice hotel, but they have spent too much time focused on the trappings of a boutique hotel and dropped the ball on a number of design and finishing touches. If the price quote you have is a boutique price, find another hotel, if it's a 3 star price out of 5, it may be a good value.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConeRod

Sydney
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I'd stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Chicago and had been impressed - so thought we'd try out the London version. We hopped off the plane at Heathrow - and got straight on the Heathrow Express. 15-minutes later, we were at the hotel's reception. Couldn't be easier. Indigo is basically across the road from Paddington Station - and that makes it a terrific location. We spent a week here and just bought an Oyster pass which allows you to hop on and off the trains and buses at will (you just need to buy credit in advance). Oh - one tip, don't leave the oyster card in the same wallet as your hotel key - because the oyster card will stop fuctioning properly. London transport is as good as it gets - and you're smack bang in the middle of it right here. So thumbs up for location.

First impressions - the hotel looked new. Certainly stood out in the street. Cute cafe/bar on the ground floor with roadside tables.

The room was funky. Good design - and bigger than I was expecting. Good sized bed - although the mattress was so hard it sometimes felt I was on the floor. Good wall mounted plasma with all the channels you need - when their satellite didn't break up! FREE high speed wireless internet, which is excellent.

The bathroom was small - but so well designed that it doesn't matter. Terrific shower - but here's the biggest problem with the hotel -- they keep running out of hot water!! Luke warm at best between 8am and 10am, when most people are getting ready. We complained but staff didn't think it out of the ordinary. They say it happens when demand is high. Well, sorry - but it shouldn't. This is a hotel - and one commanding good money.

Second problem that seems trivial - but became annoying. We stayed in room 101 - which is right alongside the lift. For some reason, they haven't de-activated the bell - and it goes off regularly, at all times of the night. (Similar problem with a smoke detector inside the room that makes strange noises often). That really is crazy.

Overall the staff were polite - but a bit standoffish.

The hot water problem and the damn lift bell would probably stop us from returning - which is a shame, because the place has enormous potential.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Minneapolis
Reviewed September 18, 2009

This is a great hotel, well decorated, CLEAN and great staff.
I was there for 3 weeks, and it was like I had taken up residence. The desk knew my boyfriend and Dad by voice on the phone, When I left it was difficult, and like I was leaving home!!!
The location is perfect for acess nearly everywhere, and funnily enough, the open top bus tour goes right past the front door!!!
I plan on staying here again and again.
Thank you!!!