“Nice room, limited service”

Hotel Indigo London-Paddington
Ranked #168 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Tokyo, Japan
“Nice room, limited service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

This place isn't quite as convenient as the Hilton Paddington, which is connected right to the station, but it's not too bad. It's across the street and about a block and a half walk. So if you're mobile and it's not raining, it's fine.

The rooms are small but nicely done, big flat-screen TV, attractive linens, everything looked new and stylish. The only problem: the water in the shower was warm but could have been hotter. I'm not sure if it was just our room, we turned it up to max and it was fine, we could live with it, but expect more for a room at this price.

Service was efficient but limited. There's not really a lobby to speak of, just a front desk and a nice restaurant/cafe and not too many folks on duty. When we arrived, early in the morning, only one person was at the front desk, so we had to wait quite a while for another customer to check out before we could talk to him -- and learn that our room wouldn't be available till the afternoon. And though we prepaid the room through Orbitz, somehow that didn't show up when we checked out, so the front desk person wanted to charge us. He was very nice about it and was willing to let us go once I showed him the Orbitz receipt and he made a copy of it. But I always find it annoying that the system isn't more efficient and that it becomes a question at all. What if I had lost or forgotten the receipt?

That was a long way of saying the people working there were fine and efficient, but it's not a full-service hotel with, for example, a concierge to help you with directions, etc. The room was nice and, if the price were right, I would certainly stay again. But I wouldn't go out of my way and might try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Linforth, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this review, December 10, 2013

Malcolm Linforth-Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

I stayed twice at the Indigo whilst on a business trip to London and Germany. I booked it primarily because it was a IHG hotel and I am an ambassador cardholder. When I checked in I immediately asked for an upgrade but they could not give me one as there were no better rooms available (or so I was told). When I enquired again the next morning I was told they could upgrade me but I would need to pay for the upgrade. This struck me as illogical since and ugrade room was available and to charge me for it would have defeated the very privilege for which I was entitled as an ambassador cardholder. This at first ended in a rather unpleasant exchange between myself and the hotel manager but he called back a while later and apologised and offered me the upgrade for free.

The rest of the stay was extremely pleasant. The staff (almost all east europeans) were friendly, unassuming and helpful, to say the least. The rooms are small but this is after all a boutique hotel. It was however very clean and the fittings were all new and stylish. If you like a boutique hotel that has a bit of class and confort - this is it.

I found it most convenient becausre of its proximity to Paddington railway station and this meant that I could get on a train from Heathrow right into London and back again with absolutely no hassles and without the need for taxis or the underground. This in fact proved a real bonus during the 1 day tube strike on 10 June.

They serve a really nice and adequate continental buffet but the ala carte breakfast was pretty good value too.

I am planning to return with my wife in July.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Legal_itinerant

Roswell, Ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

I was skeptical when I booked this Hotel because I have never heard of it. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very welcoming and comforting. Not at all like a lot of chain hotels. My husband, myself and two of our friends were in London during a tube strike and the hotel was great helping us with alternative ways to get around the city. Everyone who worked at the hotel was very friendly and helpful (one employee was kind enough to lend me his personal umbrella to use while we were out). We stayed at the Hilton at the beginning of our trip and because of the cost changed to this hotel on our return. Needless to say I would definitely stay here again!! My husband who travels to London for business says he will stay here from now on as well !!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Paddington for five nights and it began to feel like home! Although the room was small, that is normal for London, we never felt cramped. They used the space that they had very well, with a large flat screen tv on the wall, a tall wardrobe, and a desk built into a little nook beside the bathroom. This room was incredibly clean and we got turn down service (with delicious chocolates) every night. The staff was nice, not over the top friendly, but professional and helpful.

The only problem that we ran into is that there isn't really a way to comfortably eat in your room unless you sit on the bed. That only became a problem because we kept coming in so late and had to bring food home with us because all of the restaurants were closing.

Otherwise, this was a great hotel! We also stayed in the Victoria Park Plaza and I thought that this was a better hotel by a landslide. The room was decorated adorably and the bed was comfortable.

The location is amazing. It is a stone's throw from the Paddington underground and railway stations, as well as lots of cool pubs (including Fuller's, which is really neat inside and has a cool history), a few restaurants, and convenience-type shops. There is also free wifi in the rooms which certainly came in handy. We will definitely be staying here again on any future trips to London.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank greenpixey

Totnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

Arrived at this ultra modern boutique hotel, less than a five minute walk from Paddington Railway station, but away from the noise of trains! We were upgraded to an executive room which was, although still quite small, very well designed, decorated and furnished. Great showers! Very clean!

Staff were very helpful and despite our late arrival the Chef squeezed us in for dinner, which was very reasonably priced and the service was spot on!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Quinonostante

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

This new hotel is very conveniently located in walking distance of Paddington Station. Taxi to the airport costs about 60£, the Heathrow express to Paddington much less. The entire hotel tries to imitate the approach of W Hotels, but does not fully meet their level. Having said this, the Indigo Hotel is still a very good hotel, with all details well thought through, nicely designed rooms and public spaces and an overall feel that is unmatched by any other hotel in London in the same price range. If you book early you get very good value for money!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank hbdutytravel

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

This hotel is fairly new. I had a great room, quite spacious with a queen size bed. The bathroom is also quite large with a big shower with hand wand and rain shower head. The room has modern decor with a vibrant feel with the colours used and a flat screen mounted to the wall. Wireless/Wired Internet is also available for free, free bottled water daily and turn down service with a mint if that matters. My room was on the first floor. The view out the window was non-existent, but that didn't bother me. I was out exploring most of the time and when I came back to the room the room is what is important not what I can look out at. As for the location it is about 3 min walk from Paddington station. You can arrive from Gatwick by taking Gatwick Express to Victoria then Victoria to Paddington, from Heathrow simply take the tube or Heathrow Express which is what I used. Heathrow Express will bring you to Paddington in 15 minutes. I also went to see Windsor Castle, the train to Windsor leaves from Paddington. Paddington is on a few tube lines so very handy for going around. Ensure you get a Travelcard. I would definitely look to stay here again as it is a boutique type hotel with a bit of luxury which is great to come back to after a day of walking around.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo