“Tiny, tiny room. The staff and atmosphere made it very nice, however.”

Hotel Indigo London-Paddington
Ranked #217 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I stayed May 2-May 8, 2009. I was assigned Superior Single 404, which is one of the tiniest rooms in the entire hotel. I paid 138 GBP per night for the room plus breakfast at Phi for an advanced booking rate on the Indigo website. I was extremely disappointed that such a tiny room was designated as "Superior".
The entire staff was very down-to-earth and helpful, however, and breakfast was delicious. If I remembered to put out the "Do not disturb" sign on the door, housekeeping never bothered me at all. If I forgot, it was the 8 p.m. turndown service that knocked. That was completely my fault for not posting the sign.
The location is perfect for using the Paddington tube station. The pubs on London Street can be quite loud during the night, however, if you have a room facing the street . But the bed was super comfy and the shower was great.

If you are near Hotel Indigo- Paddington, I recommend dinner at Queen of Sheba:

3  Thank angela o
Linforth, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Malcolm Linforth-Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (1,949)

Reviewed May 13, 2009

I booked online and then followed up by telephone to the 800# to request an 11:00AM check in. I was told that I couldn't request anything earlier than noon, but I stood my ground and they finally allowed me to make the earlier request. I made it clear up front that I understood it was simply a request and that I knew the room might not be available until 3:00, but if they knew when I was arriving they might be able to accommodate. It was somewhat annoying to have to argue about it, but they did as I asked in the long term.

On arrival (at 11:20 AM) was met at the curb by bellman who brought my luggage and in started the check in process until the desk agent was free. He told me my room was ready and I got checked in quickly and efficiently. He took my luggage up the room and showed me how to operate the lights (standard European system: put your room key in a slot and the lights work) and warned me to be careful of the towel warmer as it gets quite hot. Public spaces as we walked through were immaculate and imaginatively designed with bright colors and murals with varied textures and materials throughout.

The room was tiny, but that's what I expected, having booked a double bed room for one person (they make it clear that maximum occupancy is one person). That said, it was extremely efficiently laid out and the bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom! Very modern but comfortable, again lots of bright colors and varying textures. The furniture was well designed, with no less than three trays that could be removed and placed elsewhere in the room (for morning coffee or tea) and a decent amount of hanging space, plus a very good size safe. They also provide a refrigerator (maybe someday it'll be a minibar, but it was empty) and there's a convenience store next door selling inexpensive soft drinks, beer, wine and cider.

Bathroom was very modern with a shower only and plenty of space at the sink for toiletries. Plenty of towels and very nice amenities. My only complaint in the bathroom was that the single halogen light high above the sink was not sufficient for me to shave my neck or under my chin, which were put in shadow by the single light.

I was on the back of the hotel - not much of a view (backs of apartments) but it was quiet and peaceful. I wasn't in the room for the view - mainly there to rest, which I could do in peace and quiet. Very comfortable bed.

Was able to charge my iPhone on the dock on the alarm, they provided a free wifi password which worked like a charm, and there were tons of outlets in the room (although I only had one converter, so could only use one of them at a time!). It was nice to be able to charge my phone without using the outlet. Decent selection of channels on the plasma flat screen. Only technological complaint is that the alarm clock had no instruction manual, and was VERY complex. I never quite figured it out.

Had dinner at the restaurant one night with some London friends and we all agreed that the food was excellent - and it was a nice blend of traditional English dishes (Scotch Egg and Welsh Rarebit as starters, for example) and dishes of broader appeal (hamburger). The service was OK, if not a little inattentive. And the wine list was very unique, although our first wine choice was no longer stocked and there was no replacement recommendation.

The hotel itself, new as it is, is in great shape, and, as mentioned, they have done a wonderful job of combining colors, textures and materials to create a very interesting boutique hotel. All my London friends insisted on seeing the hotel and the room - they had heard of it, but wanted to see for themselves.

All in all, an excellent value for the price.

2  Thank DMinATL

Reviewed May 11, 2009

Pros:

1. Close to Paddington railway station, tube. Easy access to transportation in London and for day trips outside.
2. Rooms small, but impeccably clean, modern decor, beautiful bathrooms, electric kettle in the room, free tea, bottle of water. Also - safe in the room, nice 32" LCD TV on the wall. Wireless internet free of charge. Good quality bed, pretty firm (which is what I personally like - YMMV).
3. A number of good inexpensive restaurants nearby serving various cuisine (Italian, Greek, Indian, etc.). Pub on the corner of Praed/London.
4. Very polite and easy to work staff.
5. Pretty inexpensive. I paid only 83 pounds+VAT /night for a single (smallest) room, under then current ICH Friends and Family promotion (breakfast NOT included).

Cons:

1. Busy location - if you are looking to sleep in and relax in your room - may look elsewhere. There is a number of comparable quality hotels in Kensington/Earl's Court area, which will provide a less hectic atmosphere.
2. Even though windows appear double-paned, noise from the street = see 1). Some sort of construction noise was very audible in my room on the 4th floor (facing the street), already at 6:30am. Internal walls appear pretty thin too - could hear people walking in the hallway and opening doors pretty loudly. Couple of nights - tolerable, more would be pretty annoying, I imagine.
3. No views to speak of -the first room had a view of a dirty red-brick "hole" between the houses, the second - view of the street was blocked by some archetectural feature of the house, and even if it wasnt - would not have been be pretty - just a busy street.
4. Originally assigned room on the second floor, facing rear "courtyard", smelled very strongly of fresh paint. However, when asked to be moved - was accommodated immediately and courteously.
5. Inexpensive buffet-style breakfast (7 pounds) - but limited choices- no eggs even.. For comparison - K+K Hotel George offers rooms for 100 pounds which includes GREAT breakfast buffet with shampagne.).

Overall, the stay was less pleasant than I expected, based on reviews here -mostly because of the noise issues. Still it is a solid option to stay in London for a few days on a budget - good value for the money. There is a small french bakery on Praed street about 100 yards down from London street (where the hotel is situated), check out almond croissants - the creamiest I have ever eaten in my life :)

2  Thank Genesmasher

Reviewed May 10, 2009

We stayed here when doing a weekend away in London, a lovely hotel, concept and location. I would definitely recommend, just watch-out for the housekeepers that dont nock on the door, 3 times we had someone try to come into the room without nocking!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobJuliaFord

Reviewed May 10, 2009

The other reviewers are right; this is a fantastically good hotel. The rooms are modern, stylish and comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful, without being condescending. In fact, the whole hotel is very swish and chic. I particularly liked the restaurant which serves excellent, not too expensive food. The breakfast is freshly cooked - no warm food buffet here. This is the first Indigo I have stayed in and I hope IC Hotels will be introducing others - especially here in the UK.

The only thing I did not like was the location. Certainly it has good communications with Paddington rail and tube just a few metres away but the immediate area is mainly rough and ‘down at heel’ with lots of cheap backpacker hotels, dingy pubs and tourist trap restaurants – who does eat in Garfunkels and Aberdeen Steakhouses? – most Brits wouldn’t be seen dead in them. The nearest half-decent pub is about 200 metres away – I think it was called the Victoria.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Linforth, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Guests

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Hotel Indigo Paddington.

Hotel Management

Reviewed May 10, 2009

I booked a two night stay in two separate bookings, one a month in advance so go a great deal and one very close to the night of the stay and hence no such a great deal. I arrived and pointed this out and stated that I did not want to swop rooms and could I have the same deal for both nights. After a bit of a discussion I was advised that it was a problem, but if I wanted I could be upgraded again to a king bed executive at the same cost for the two nights, I agreed and thank the staff for their understanding and customer service.

The hotel and décor is very quirky and enjoyable and the room I was allocated although not the biggest the finish and style were excellent especially the extra large LCD TV, which was perfect for watching the football, the shower too was magnificent.

I did not try the bar area or the hotel food, but requested an iron and ironing board that arrived and was placed in my room upon my return.

Looking at some of the negatives, the air heating and cooling was noisy, the fire alarm detectors made some odd noises, yes they made noises, the biggest issue was the noise from outside in the street (pubs and take away’s).

Would I stop there again, definitely, the cost is a little higher that my normal hotel in London, but for a romantic weekend it is definitely a winner and a great addition to the Holiday Inn chain.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve5839

Reviewed May 6, 2009

Even though the room was tiny, it was exactly what I needed. I got the smallest room because I was by myself. It was steps away from Paddington and the Heathrow Express and the tube. The sound machine was great too, even though I didn't need it because it was really quiet. The decor in the room was so upscale and colorful. Rain shower and handheld were awesome! Water got hot reasonably fast. I liked having an empty fridge too. They have a computer with internet in the lobby for free, turndown service gives you chocolate, all the nice perks were there. Staff were friendly and sincere. Garfunkel's restaurant was good too. Only bad points were really minor: ran out of tissues in the bathroom and it wasn't restocked automatically, found it hard to close the window and there was no room service menu in the room. Would definitely stay again!

1  Thank travelspye
Linforth, General Manager at Hotel Indigo London-Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Looking forward to welcome you back at Hotel Indigo Paddington in the near future.

Kind regards,