“No. 1 restaurant in London - what more can you say!”
Review of Murano

Murano
Reserve with OpenTable
Murano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #179 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I was slightly shocked to find that, out of 7,664 London restaurants reviewed on Tripadvisor, Murano is currently at no. 1 - but when I thought back to the meal my partner and I had this weekend, it actually comes as no surprise.

The evening couldn't have had a better start, as when we hopped out of the taxi in front of Murano, head chef Angela Hartnett herself was standing outside on her mobile phone! This was in fact one of few breaks Angela took over the course of the evening - she is clearly a very hard worker - although she did make time to occasionally pop out and chat with the diners - a great personal touch and all the better to prove that at Murano (as opposed to most of Gordon Ramsay's and Jamie Oliver's restaurants) the name above the door really is in the kitchen.

The staff were very attentive and polite, with everyone welcoming us as we entered, and before each dish we were treated to a full description and even a couple of stories about the ingredients. I was surprised to see that there are only around 12-15 tables in the restaurant, which gives it a very intimate and exclusive feel. We opted for the £75pp tasting menu with a lovely French Malbec - the total bill (including service) came to around £210 which we thought was very reasonable considering the range of dishes, expert skill and sizeable portions.

I won't bore you with the entire tasting menu - the sample on the Murano website is in fact still current. The highlights were the foie gras and toasted brioche, which was delicious without being too rich; the Italian bread basket, anti-pasto and olive oil; the Casterbridge beef, which was quite possibly the best beef I've ever had; the Gressingham duck (delicious but not quite as good as the beef); the Amalfi lemon tart, which practically melted in the mouth; and the miniature ice-cream scoops were a lovely palate cleanser. Having had tasting menus in the past, we were keen to experience the range of dishes but concerned about the portions being too small - but we needn't have worried. After taking into account the appetisers, the bread basket (plus a refill) plus the little chocolate truffles after the third (!) dessert, the whole meal runs to about ten courses - and the fish course and main are both fairly sizeable. We left feeling very full and absolutely spoilt.

So, in summary, I can completely understand why Murano is currently the top-rated restaurant in London! The food is absolutely exquisite, the staff are friendly and polite, the quality, variety and size of portions make it very good value, but most importantly - and this is something that gives Murano a key selling point amongst its competitors - you can be absolutely certain that your meal has been prepared by a master.

2  Thank reindeerman83
Write a ReviewReviews (1,475)

Reviewed August 8, 2010

Myself and my partner booked Murano on a trip to London as a special treat before the birth of our first baby.

We were not disappointed at all, the service, food quality, wine, were all exceptional. I've eaten at Gordon Ramsay's Boxwood Cafe before and this was a much better classier experience all round.

We really enjoyed the Sorbet's as a pre-dessert, with some strange exceptional flavours! The best part of the meal was the mind blowing Pistachio Souffle, my partner loved the hot chocolate that they poured into the souffle. Hands down the best dessert we've ever eaten.

1  Thank JonnyCarly
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Everything was just excellent. We had a three course meal and on top of that, we were given free appetizers, a "pre-dessert" (assorted ice-cream) and chocolates to take home.

I've done some fine dining, but this is by far the best I ever had. Every piece of food I put in my mouth had amazing flavors - I couldn't believe food could be so good. Staff was extremely friendly and fulfilled every request - no questions asked. At the end of the dinner, one staff member even went outside in the rain to get us a cab - without an umbrella!

What makes this restaurant great is that there's really nothing bad you can say about it. Of course the meal is not cheap by any means, but that's expected. We were very happy to have this experience in London - we hope to see a Gordon Ramsay restaurant soon in our home city, Toronto!

Reviewed July 24, 2010

The wife and I are recent converts to ultra-fine dining. We have been fortunate enough to try several Michelin-rated restaurants including French Laundry, Tetsuya's, and Joel Rubichon (Las Vegas). In London, we decided to splurge on a couple local establishments, and tried Alain Ducasse and Murano.

Murano was, by our measure, very good. The atmosphere is not as stuffy as Alain Ducasse, and, I thought, very comfortable. The service was very very good.

With regard to the food, it was very good. We had the tasting menu. The first course was amazing, and after finishing it I was expecting that Murano would measure up to Alain Ducasse. Then the other courses came. Don't get me wrong -- they were all good. Overall the quality of the food was very good. But there was that level of complete amazement we got the previous night or at other 3 star restaurants.

Overall I think Murano is a very comfortable place. If I lived in London it is the kind of place I would probably return to one or twice a year. It would be a great spot for business entertaining. But we did not think it compared to the Michelin 3-star restaurants we have tried. At 250 quid for the two of us it was considerably cheaper than those 3-star places, though. So overall in terms of value I thought Murano measured up well, But I really don't see it as the #1 restaurant in London.

2  Thank Leroi L
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We had booked Murano restaurant because we like Gordon Ramsey and because it’s the top restaurant in London on Tripadvisor. We did have good experience, but not such high class like we expected. The food was good, but a bit boring and tasteless. We had had lot of waiters around our table. We counted at least 6 different persons serving our table. They were more disturbing than helpful. We think that’s it’s not necessary that more waiters make better service. We wanted a romantic dinner, but all the waiters even if they’re very good at their job spoiled some of the romantic experience. The exception was the head waiter, he was great.