“Wonderful stay, delicious breakfast!”
Review of Hurlingham B&B

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hurlingham B&B
Ranked #200 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had a warm welcome the moment we arrived at the most beautiful clean house - we were immediately given a very needed cup of English tea! Our stay was faultless with clean rooms, good shower, bath and great hospitality. We were given helpful directions to local restaurants and the Hurlingham Club for their shopping event! The highlight of our stay was the most delicious English breakfast - we would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Depends if you prefer a bath or shower?
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Apatchy

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here during Wimbledon weekend and had a fabulous weekend. We felt very welcomed by the owner and had everything we needed. The house is stunning and very charming. The bed was extremely comfortable and the towels fluffy. Breakfast was delicious and we would not hesitate to return. Great location for bus and tube.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Hurlingham Bed and Breakfast is definitely my place to stay in London. Since I first booked here years ago on some friends´ advice, I have not considered any other option. Simply, my choice is made. Either if I am visiting on my own or with friends, it is always a very nice experience.
I think Gilly Belfridge manages to strike a very good balance between being attentive to anything a guest may need, good tips on where to go and what to do in London included, while at the same time keeping herself discreetly in the background except where (magnificent) breakfast is concerned, of course. This balance is not so easily found elsewhere, that is why I feel so comfortable everytime I stay at Gilly´s.
I feel free to come downstairs to have a chat with Gilly, like you do when you are visiting friends, or to relax in my room for the whole afternoon without being disturbed, like you do in a hotel. My mood dictates. It´s like a nice and beautifully decorated little family hotel but also a real home where to experience a glimpse of English everyday life (specially appealing if you are a foreigner). Whatever you prefer today. Whatever you prefer tomorrow. Two in one.
I remember when I asked Gilly on my first visit where the closest pharmacy was and she inmediately drove me there herself.
I already said it, breakfast is great. Too bad I can´t eat so much. I particularly appreciate the generous amount of fruit, coming from Spain I used to find that the fruit served in English hotels was scarce.Don´t have that problem anymore.
Rooms are very cosy and add to the feeling of being at your London home.
Finally, location. Don´t be let down to know that this is not Central London. It is even better, for Gilly´s home is practically around the corner from an Underground Station from where trains will take you straight away to Central London withing a few minutes. And the reward for not being so Central, so to speak, is the chance to enjoy Fulham and Putney (across the river), Bishops Park, the Thames Path up to Hammersmith Bridge and beyond, with lots of cafes and Pubs by the riverside. If you jog or just enjoy a good walk, this is your place in London, believe me. Most relaxing after a day around Piccadilly or Oxford Street, for sure!
I have been visiting almost every year for some years now and am looking forward to my next visit.
Fernando
San Sebastián, Spain

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fernando R
Reviewed June 22, 2012

i have sbeen staying at this home for a few years. Whenever I am in London I call and try to stay there. Very comfortable beds, good showers and a great breakfast. The location of the house is easy to reach and good for parking or public tansport. the next time I travel to London I hope to bring my wife. Most of all I always receive a great welcome from Gilly and her family.

Room Tip: if you are on your own then ask Gilly for the Blue room. if you are a couple go for the top room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank paul d
Reviewed May 28, 2012

When comeing to Gilly Belfrage's guesthouse last week, our expectations were high due to the lovely photos of the place we had seen in advance and the high rate of 150 Pounds for our room per night. But when arriving at the place, we did not get the welcome we had expected, were immediately told to remove our shoes and leave them downstairs next to the outside door. In our very nicely decorated room in the attic, a sign asked us not to wash clothes in the bathroom and we had already been told in advance not to expect any tea and coffee making facilities as this could lead to stains in the bedrooms. This did not make us feel very comfortable. When asking for breakfast at eight, we were told that Gilly made lovely scrambled eggs and those were served only between 8.30 and 9.00. When going down to breakfast the next day, we specifically had to ask for cereals (as there weren't any) and then got a packet of really nice muesly. But there were some really nice strawberries on the table and 3 kinds of jam. The ingredients for the eggs and bacon were really good, (Gilly doesn't do sausages but we don't like sausages anyway) but we repeatedly had to ask for more milk and she only gave us a small amount one at a time. Our room had fluffy bathing gowns, very nice amentities in the bathrooms, very nice towels. The tiny garden behind the kitchen looked lovely. And yet we always had the feeling that we were "intruders". When we once came back from the outing at half past 3 (before going out again for dinner at 19.00 hours9, the landlady did not fail to repeatedly mention this "strange" behaviour of ours. If she feels that guests should only come at night, get up and have breakfast when she wants them to and should not be in the house at all during the day, she should not run a B&B. Besides, the attic room (whose windows we had to leave open during the night due to the heat wave during that time) was really loud at night, when all noises are somehow magnified. We could hear the trains, the planes, the buses, and did not sleep well at all. We will definitely not come back despite the lovely interior design, the nice mattress, lovely bed linen et cetera.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Luxury_Traveller_BL
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

New response I sent other to the wrong person. Aplogies
Re your remarks I tried to please you but felt you were not hapy and mentioned this to you on your departure.
Shoes - most people arrive and take them off anyway have the same rules at home with the volume of people going up the stairs the - only carpet I have - it is not too much to ask. Wooden floors elsewhere.
Breakfast am told the best in London
Returning to room after Flower show which you were disappointed with as it was hot and I thought it would be nice for you to do something else and offered ideas of places locally. Gardens of Fulham Palace the Hurlingham Club as you like gardens. Of course you can use your room but on a rare warm day in England the bedroom is not ideal I thought!
None of my business I suppose but only tried to help and make your stay in London a good one with happy memories. I am sorry I failed.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

B&B no longer looks like the pictures on the internet. Carpets were tattered and filthy. No reliable internet service. Rooms are incredibly small. My room was so small it did not fit a chair.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank w n
Hurlingham1, Owner at Hurlingham B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

I am sorry this guest from NYC was not happy but through an error of communication I did not realise he was going to be working from the house. I would have made other arrangements if so or advised him it was not suitable.

The room is not large enough for a business to be run from.

However there are 2 chairs in the room. The Wi-Fi has always worked efficiently and as far as I was concerned there was no problem with it.

Before I even had a chance to explore the problem with the Wi-Fi – the gentleman checked out. I asked him for one night's room charge as he had booked for 4 nights and I had turned away other bookings for this room. He didn't mind at the time to pay for one night and left amicably.

On arrival at his new hotel he demanded the money back and thought that I should go to his hotel to give it back to him and I received foul emails from this man from that moment onwards. He was extremely unreasonable and has tried to damage my business with his vendetta and negative reviews which have been reported to the Trip Advisor management team.

I am lucky enough to have been in business for over 20 years now and have extremely satisfied and loyal customers who return to me year on year. I take great pride in the appearance of my house and the guest rooms - all photos represent a true reflection of my house which
can be found at: www.londonbedbreakfast.co.uk

Reviewed February 26, 2012

I really enjoyed staying in this charming and beautiful English home, the interior was really interesting and wonderful and the beds were very comfortable.

The host Gilly was lovely and welcoming and breakfast was something to really look forward to in the morning!

I would highly recommend this B & B to anyone and felt that it offered really good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo