“the place is gorgeously decorated but we did not feel welcome”
Review of Hurlingham B&B

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hurlingham B&B
Ranked #196 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“the place is gorgeously decorated but we did not feel welcome”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

When comeing to Gilly Belfrage's guesthouse last week, our expectations were high due to the lovely photos of the place we had seen in advance and the high rate of 150 Pounds for our room per night. But when arriving at the place, we did not get the welcome we had expected, were immediately told to remove our shoes and leave them downstairs next to the outside door. In our very nicely decorated room in the attic, a sign asked us not to wash clothes in the bathroom and we had already been told in advance not to expect any tea and coffee making facilities as this could lead to stains in the bedrooms. This did not make us feel very comfortable. When asking for breakfast at eight, we were told that Gilly made lovely scrambled eggs and those were served only between 8.30 and 9.00. When going down to breakfast the next day, we specifically had to ask for cereals (as there weren't any) and then got a packet of really nice muesly. But there were some really nice strawberries on the table and 3 kinds of jam. The ingredients for the eggs and bacon were really good, (Gilly doesn't do sausages but we don't like sausages anyway) but we repeatedly had to ask for more milk and she only gave us a small amount one at a time. Our room had fluffy bathing gowns, very nice amentities in the bathrooms, very nice towels. The tiny garden behind the kitchen looked lovely. And yet we always had the feeling that we were "intruders". When we once came back from the outing at half past 3 (before going out again for dinner at 19.00 hours9, the landlady did not fail to repeatedly mention this "strange" behaviour of ours. If she feels that guests should only come at night, get up and have breakfast when she wants them to and should not be in the house at all during the day, she should not run a B&B. Besides, the attic room (whose windows we had to leave open during the night due to the heat wave during that time) was really loud at night, when all noises are somehow magnified. We could hear the trains, the planes, the buses, and did not sleep well at all. We will definitely not come back despite the lovely interior design, the nice mattress, lovely bed linen et cetera.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Luxury_Traveller_BL
, Owner at Hurlingham B&B, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
New response I sent other to the wrong person. Aplogies
Re your remarks I tried to please you but felt you were not hapy and mentioned this to you on your departure.
Shoes - most people arrive and take them off anyway have the same rules at home with the volume of people going up the stairs the - only carpet I have - it is not too much to ask. Wooden floors elsewhere.
Breakfast am told the best in London
Returning to room after Flower show which you were disappointed with as it was hot and I thought it would be nice for you to do something else and offered ideas of places locally. Gardens of Fulham Palace the Hurlingham Club as you like gardens. Of course you can use your room but on a rare warm day in England the bedroom is not ideal I thought!
None of my business I suppose but only tried to help and make your stay in London a good one with happy memories. I am sorry I failed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
new york
Reviewed April 13, 2012

B&B no longer looks like the pictures on the internet. Carpets were tattered and filthy. No reliable internet service. Rooms are incredibly small. My room was so small it did not fit a chair.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank w n
Hurlingham1, Owner at Hurlingham B&B, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
I am sorry this guest from NYC was not happy but through an error of communication I did not realise he was going to be working from the house. I would have made other arrangements if so or advised him it was not suitable.

The room is not large enough for a business to be run from.

However there are 2 chairs in the room. The Wi-Fi has always worked efficiently and as far as I was concerned there was no problem with it.

Before I even had a chance to explore the problem with the Wi-Fi – the gentleman checked out. I asked him for one night's room charge as he had booked for 4 nights and I had turned away other bookings for this room. He didn't mind at the time to pay for one night and left amicably.

On arrival at his new hotel he demanded the money back and thought that I should go to his hotel to give it back to him and I received foul emails from this man from that moment onwards. He was extremely unreasonable and has tried to damage my business with his vendetta and negative reviews which have been reported to the Trip Advisor management team.

I am lucky enough to have been in business for over 20 years now and have extremely satisfied and loyal customers who return to me year on year. I take great pride in the appearance of my house and the guest rooms - all photos represent a true reflection of my house which
can be found at: www.londonbedbreakfast.co.uk
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I really enjoyed staying in this charming and beautiful English home, the interior was really interesting and wonderful and the beds were very comfortable.

The host Gilly was lovely and welcoming and breakfast was something to really look forward to in the morning!

I would highly recommend this B & B to anyone and felt that it offered really good value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo