“Good pub food”

Ranked #6,812 of 24,526 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westminster
Description: The Shakespeare in Victoria is a classic London pub opposite Victoria train station. Originally named after the Bard's father, today you can enjoy the very best of Great British pub food and drink: including our own 1730 pale ale, fish and chips and steak and ale pies. The pub is named after John Shakespeare, William Shakespeare's father. He was what we would now call a property developer especially around Victoria, where he would live Monday to Friday. The gardens opposite were originally called Shakespeare Gardens but were renamed Grosvenor Gardens when John sold them to the Duke of Westminster's Grosvenor Estates. The Shakespeare pub started life as a hotel providing accommodation for weary travellers on the coaching routes south from Victoria. The Shakespeare also has a basement Pizzeria called 'Stretch and Pull' where you drink craft ales whilst eating pizza which has been freshly prepared to order.
Reviewed November 19, 2016

After a day of exploring London and arriving earlier than expected back to Victoria Station, I decided to have a late lunch at The Shakespeare. The food was good pub food and arrived in a perfectly reasonable time, however the drinks took forever - and it was almost fifteen minutes after I asked for the bill - that still had not arrived - when I had to flag down another waitress who, thankfully took care of me by bringing the bill immediately.

Ian T, General Manager at The Shakespeare, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2016

Thank you for your review, we're happy you enjoyed your food, sorry it took so long for drinks and the bill, we're normally great at getting the money :-).

Reviewed November 16, 2016

It was the first and only time this happened to me and I couldn’t be more frustrated.
The place was almost empty but the service was taking so long that we had to get up and go to the counter to order.
We ordered 2 burger menus with beer, paid a little more than 30£ and then we went to sit in another room.
After what it felt like a good 30 minutes, the waiter came with one burger and two beers.
Those weren’t the beers we ordered, but standard cheap ones, which the waiter then explained was the only beer brand that came with the menu.
OK, nobody told us that when we ordered, but we accepted it, although it felt like we paid better beers.
When I asked about the second burger, to my surprise, the waiter said we didn’t order a second burger, I said we ordered 2 burger menus but unfortunately when I searched, I didn’t have the receipt.
This didn’t make any sense, if we just ordered one menu why were there 2 beers? Why would we pay 30£, so much for 1 burger + 2 beers if the burger alone costs a little more than 10£?
The waiter replied these were the orders he had and there was nothing he could do and the lady in the counter to whom we payed was nowhere to be found.
Long story short, we ended up paying a little more than 30£ for 1 burger and 2 cheap beers. The most expensive burger in my life, and it wasn’t even that good.

Ian T, General Manager at The Shakespeare, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2016

Thank you for your review, apologies for any confusion with the ordering and pricing. It says you visited in May. We have a new menu now and different beers, next time you're in London try us again I'm sure it will be much better

Reviewed November 15, 2016 via mobile

Not a clean restaurant, the menus were dirty.
The staff is friendly.
The food is poor in quality. I ordered a burger and the little side salad was disgusting, the burger bread was dry, the whole thing wasn't tasty at all. I don't recommend this restaurant to anyone. I am not sure if they follow the healthy and safety standards.

Thank you for your review, sorry about the dirty menus, I can assure that doesn't mean the kitchen is dirty, we have very high health and safety standards. We toast out buns for the burgers to give extra flavour. Try us again, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed November 14, 2016 via mobile

Visited for lunch and a beer. Food was adequate and came quickly despite them being busy. Waitress promised to return with cutlery but never returned leaving us to eat scampi and chips with our fingers. Glad we didn't order a stew!

Ian T, General Manager at The Shakespeare, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2016

Thank you for your review, we're glad you didn't order the stew also. Our apologies for the no cutlery situation, I'm sure it was a one off as we do have plenty of cutlery to use. Please drop us a line at 7248@greeneking.co.uk and we'll email you back straight away.

Reviewed November 13, 2016 via mobile

No problems with bar staff or security, had a great quick visit and loved the beer choice as an ale drinker who also likes craft. Between Victoria Station and buses I find it a great choice.

Thank you for your review, one of our favourite reviews ever! We often rotate our beers and have even more of a range downstairs in the Stretch and Pull, see you again for a quick one or a long one downstairs.