“Confused - I love Mahiki!”
Review of Mahiki

Mahiki
Ranked #12,226 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Kent
“Confused - I love Mahiki!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I find the reviews of Mahiki very confusing. I am not pretentious or glamorous; I turn up in my £25 Size 14 New Look dress and I have never experienced any rudeness or been turned away. Indeed I have seen girls inside with jeans and trainers on! I have been about 3 or 4 times on Friday/Saturday evenings and always walked straight in, have never even seen a queue for the place (we get there around 10 ish - maybe this is early but hey, it obviously helps!) The only criticism is that the drinks are very expensive (£15 for a Pina Colada) but it's to be expected of Mayfair. Me and my friend usually just buy a 'Shell' (not sure of it's actual name) for £50 and that lasts us all night (it helps that we start the night off with a bottle of wine in a Wetherspoons!) Overall I love the Tiki theme of this place and the music is a mix of cheese, funky house and 90s so it suits me perfectly!!

Visited May 2012
3 Thank MrsD7777

• Polish first
London, UK
“Rude staff avoid”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This place is very expensive, yet the staff treat people like they are school children. Why do people put up with such bad service? I have been once, but never again. If you want to have doorman with attitude and be treated awfully whilst handing over your money, then this is the place for you. If not go elsewhere, and there are plenty of choices in London.

• Visited June 2012
6 Thank Tazz13
London, United Kingdom
“Mahiki Friday Evening July 20th”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We got there early while the place was still pretty empty so no long lines to deal with. Other than the stereotypical doorman who was really rude and asked for ID (I am in my 30’s for god’s sake?) the place was still relaxed and calm.

The typically gorgeous girl with the clipboard ushered us in upon confirming that while we didn’t book a table we did call ahead. If you are going to Mahiki you would be well advised to call ahead and arrive early, weather they say they are busy or not.

The girl at the bar was a very friendly Northerner who seemed to be having just as much fun as any punter and made our drinks with excellent humour and a broad smile…How often do you come across bar staff that look like they would rather be anywhere else? None of that here, and it makes a nice change.

I have to acknowledge the previous review(s) in that the tables come at a premium and the staff can be a little militant in enforcing the table bookings. At the same time, if you’ve booked a table for a set time and you’re going to part with the minimum spend to enjoy it….that’s exactly what you should get and I have no issue with the staff moving people along as the bookings necessitate. When we were asked to vacate the table it was done in a polite, friendly way and we had no arguments with that.

As the place begins to fill, the atmosphere intensifies but still retained its relaxed feel. As you might expect for this type of place everyone was dressed-up really nicely, if you want to know the dress code, sexy as hell would describe it best. Some of the previous reviews describe this kind of thing as a bit stuck-up which I can understand. But also, why not dress up, why not go out looking and feeling good…it isn’t a competition, if you look good you feel good, what’s stuck-up about that?

We didn’t find much of the pretention others have reported on their night out here, I guess each person has their own take on these things and each night can vary. If you’re fairly relaxed and want a fun night with a little banter with the staff I think you’re onto a winner. If you are friendly with the staff you can expect the same from them although of course, they do have big spenders in this place (of which I am not one!) who get more of their attention but let’s face it, that isn’t unique to a bar or club….it just happens. I’m more of a fleeting visitor to these kinds of places but I am not a stranger to rude, pretentious far too sexy for the likes of me venues and staff. It happens; I was out for a drink and a laugh with my partner, not to become bff’s with the staff.

I found the staff to be perfectly attentive (once I got their attention) and Hanneke who served us was excellent. All of the serving staff are beautiful and yes, I can see why some might say pretentious too! If you happen to look like a VS girl (as one of them does) I can understand finding it less than novel to be looked at all night long and having the hump now and again. My partner and I enjoyed looking around and taking it all in…call us voyeurs if you like but we actually like seeing how ‘the other half’ live!

If you go, it is expensive, so ready yourself for a decent dent in your card. The drinks though are good and delivered in novel vessels just for fun. If you go in a group it might be best to order a huge drink and share the cost around. People have mentioned the price in lots of reviews and quite rightly too. However, if you’re looking for a super saver night out, why on earth would you even be considering a venue like this?

My partner and I went here looking to get a bit drunk, have some fun together and not take it all too seriously. That’s exactly what we got.

Many of the reviews are quite bad for this place so I hope my review helps offer some kind of balance. We didn’t go there expecting VIP treatment or cheap drinks so our expectations were met and we had a good time. I guess it comes down to a matter of expectations.

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank GlenSkeel
London, England, United Kingdom
“Find here, a concatenation of all that's bad about London.”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

So what's the big deal about this place? Its where all the glossy-mag wags are snapped by the papz, drunk in the gutter outside, or leaving with some previously unseen new squeeze... Anything else? No. I don't know where to start. This really is London at its worst. I LOVE a fantastic night out with my mates and I'm a frequent visitor to many of London's bars and clubs. The thing I hate about this place is the pretentiousness. Basically, when you arrive, the staff are like: "oh, you don't appear to be a gorgeous woman, dressed to kill... so, how much money have you got and who do you know?". I just can't stand that kind of attitude -and the patrons all seem to subscribe to this!! Inside, I do actually quite like the theme of the place, but that's all. Its just insanely expensive for really nothing special. If you have a night out here, its basically a competition all night with everyone else there as to how gorgeous you are and how much money you have, all tied together in a mediocre venue. Do yourself a BIG favor and go somewhere else where you'll have a great time with your mates in a happy place with a high atmosphere and good people all around who just wanna have a good time too!

• Visited August 2011
8 Thank Andy E
Brisbane
“Don't bother”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Staff are rude, drinks are over the top expensive and it's all show and no atmosphere

• Visited July 2012