“Not at all scary!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sir Alfred Hitchcock Hotel
Ranked #660 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Not at all scary!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The hotel was recommended to me by a friend who lives locally. I was a little concerned that the B&B rate almost seemed too good to be true. Don't bother trying to enquire online - just ring them and speak to them.
There wasn't a huge amount of parking, but luckily I got right outside the front of the hotel. There's no computer checking here - a straightforward paper system works perfectly well! I was greeted by a very pleasant young lady who told me how to get to my room and how the hotel is laid out.
My room was clean and comfortable, Everything worked and there was even tea and coffee making facilities in the room. It was a little well-worn if truth be told, but hey, it was all clean and felt safe.
Breakfast was plentiful and unrushed - no limit on tea/coffee/orange juice and again made to feel very welcome.
Wouldn't hesitate to go back if I need to be in this area again (or need to get into central London).
Great location near to the tube.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front may be a little noisy, but not unbearably so
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Well_travelled_99_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Found the staff rushed and not welcoming, not sure of my booking etc, rang up the night before and was told that she didn't want payment now as she was too busy. room was ok, basic and clean but very noisy at front of hotel with road noise and under other rooms so could hear everyone moving around upstairs. Found breakfast really limited and not well presented, very help yourself, felt more like staying at a friends- milk out, cheap juice in cartons, only chocolate cereal left half an hour before breakfast finished, not welcomed to breakfast or when checking out there was no one around. Would do for a cheap night close to city ut you get what you pay for and I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a two day visit to Sir Alfred. Couldn't be happier with the experience. Welcoming atmosphere, clean linen, super breakfast and a very good evening meal. Plenty of secure parking and all within easy reach of the tube and the west end. Epping forest just over the road made this a memorable visit. What is there not to like ?
John, Altrincham

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank John L
manchester
Reviewed March 5, 2014

after our last visit my wife and I were not sure what to find on our vist. booked a month in advance we walked in at 9.30pm to find our reservation was missing and new owners in charge. right away they put us at ease saying we could still stay for three nights. the room was perfect and the breakfast was supherb. for less than 50 quid I doubt theres a better b&b anywhere in London. many thanks to everyone who made the visit so special.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are better. providing the heat is turned down.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Manchestermcguire
Regina, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Sofia and Leonardo are most accommodating hosts. Not once did they disappoint me. The location near to Leytonstone Tube station is excellent for getting around London. The food is superb and plentiful. The staff are helpful and cheerful. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning in the rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Don R
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

For £50 a night in London I wasn't sure what to expect and some reviews I'd read weren't great. However, I was pleasantly surprised. On check in we were offered a large glass of any drink of our choice which was a lovely gesture after a long trip from the North of England. We'd booked a double room for 2 nights and were given the family room on the first floor which was a spacious room with a double bed and 2 single beds. The room was to the front of the building and I found it quite noisy due to the main road right outside. It wasn't the cleanest room but if you can overlook a bit of muck around the edges it was fine as somewhere to base ourselves for the weekend. There's tea and coffee facilities provided in the room as well as an iron/ironing board and hairdryer.
Breakast is served in the restaurant part of the building next door (externally accessed from the rooms). Hot food (eggs, bacon, mushroom, beans, sausage) was cooked to order and you can help yourself to bread for the toaster and a limited selection of cereals as well as juice and tea and coffee. It's located a 15 minute walk from the tube station so I'd recommend a taxi if you have heavy bags. If you're driving, there's a small car park to the front of the building but a large car park to the rear. Although it could be cleaner, for the money I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank EveLancashire
Leo M, Manager at Sir Alfred Hitchcock Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for the review. We are still working hard to improve the place and we promise to be better until your next visit.

Best regards,
Sofia Mitrofan
Hotel manager
The Sir Alfred Hitchcock Hotel
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Basically..
- Rooms are sub standard and filthy, floors, beds especially.
- The hotel has built one of the beds in the room with their own wood (to a rough poor standard)
- Shower is poor. Again cleaning is the issue. If the shower head was cleaned occasionally, it would let the water out all in the same direction...
- Rooms are cold. Controls removed off radiators so guests cannot turn heat on. Asked to have heating turned on but it wasn't. A disgraceful way to save money.
- Beds are dirty. Quilt is wafer thin to the point it is just a quilt cover without the quilt. Had to sleep with clothes on to keep warm at night.
- Tea bags are loose in a bowl that are collecting dust for god knows how long.
- After thinking this was good value for the area we found elsewhere, albeit with a hotel chain, for the same price which was clean tidy and better value for money.

I stay away a lot and this is the worst I have ever experienced.

Would NOT advise anyone to stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank L C
Basically, you were not happy with anything and we are sorry that we did not leave a good impression. We do try to please everyone but it seems that sometimes we fail. Thank you for your opinion about the hotel and we will take that into consideration.

Best regards,
Sofia Mitrofan
Hotel Manager
The Sir Alfred Hitchcock Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Travelodge Snaresbrook
Packfords Hotel
Packfords Hotel
#1 of 3 in Woodford
Holiday Inn Express London - Chingford - North Circular

Been to Sir Alfred Hitchcock Hotel? Share your experiences!