“Clean, comfortable and reasonably priced.”

YHA London St Pauls
Ranked #48 of 896 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hostel is clean, comfortable and in a FANTASTIC location. What more could you want for the price!? I stayed 1 night whilst visiting friends in London and it is located extremely well for Southbank and the Tate.

I only have 2 small issues - 1 was the group of young French school kids running around in the early evening (their teachers should have kept a closer eye on them but difficult in a big place like the hostel I guess) and the shower I used only had 1 hook for clothes on the back of the door - could have done with a second on back of door for clothes and a third near to the shower for the towel to prevent water from spilling all over the floor when you reach for the towel. Easy fix though with a cheap hook from internet or DIY store.

Breakfast is very good value for 5 quid (best in the area for price I reckon!) Would I return? Absolutely!

Oh and don't forget to take a padlock and ear plugs when you stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Hi Scatterbrainjoe,

Thanks for the review. Appreciate all the comments and the fact you found us the be clean comfortable and reasonably priced. I have taken your comments on board about the hooks and will speak to my maintenance manager this week to arragen the extra hooks.

Look forwad to welcoming you back

There are newer reviews for YHA London St Pauls

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I've stayed in YHA London ST Pauls two times.
It's clean, comfortable and the staff is nice. Breakfast is a little expensive in my opinion but the food choice is great.
There's no free WiFi and both times I've stayed there, I couldn't book the room online. I had to call them on the phone, read out loud my credit card number and pay full amount on the time of booking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Hi Ice303,

Thanks a lot for your review. Im really pleased you found our hostel to be clean and in a great location which of course we are. Wifi is available free for YHA members and comes with many benefits. Not only do you get the free wifi, you get a £3 per night discount on your stay and are kept informed of up coming offers well before public release along with many high street discounts.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is the second time I've been here and I still really like it. Well priced with basic facilities in a good location. Again it was slightly noisy early in the morning and the beds were a bit old but overall very good.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Hi Vixie84

Thanks a lot for coming back to YHA London St Pauls for a second viisit. Thanks for the kind comments. Looking forward to seeing you on your 3rd visit.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed only one night with a friend. The place was definitely clean, beds not super confy but ok and the staff was helpful. No free WiFi which was a minus. The room was partly under street level and the noise from the street disrupted my sleep especially because the window needed to be kept open as it was a bit hot in the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Hi Noora,,

Thanks for the review. Im pleased you found the hostel clean and the staff helpful. Membership can be purchased via the YHA website or indeed at reception. The membership entitles you to a £3 per night discount on overnight stays at YHA England & Wales, gives you free WIFI and enables you to have access to offers before non members hear about them.
Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed here with two other friends (one male and one female), and overall we did not enjoy it. Wifi and Internet were both pretty expensive, the buffet breakfast (which was not included in room price - roughly $15 AUD extra) was not very appetising, there were no elevators (which was hugely inconvenient for my male friend who had to climb far too many flights of rickety narrow staircases), the layout was confusing at best, and the rooms were very sub-par! Being a old building they obviously don't have a lot of options with their rooms, however it was inconvenient that there were no elevators, there was only one power point in the rooms (pretty much underneath someone else's bed) and it didn't seem to work anyway, the showers were located in a hidden nook on another floor, the beds in our dorm were like awkwardly placed 'Jenga' blocks - you literally had to tuck yourself underneath the bed on top of you (from the waist down you had approximately 15cm room between your bed and the one above, and if you were lucky enough to get one of the two beds on the floor, you would be right next to the heater which dried out the air so much that I actually couldn't sleep because my throat was so sore). My male friend stayed in another dorm and the beds were apparently better in his room (regular bunk beds). The private rooms may be nicer, and if I were to stay there again I would book into one of them. The staff were friendly enough and the location was incredible (right near St Paul's Cathedral and the metro station), however given everything else I'd say all you're paying for with this hostel is the location (which isn't exactly unreasonable, considering other accommodation around that area in London). Overall, it wasn't great, but if you're just looking for a place to sleep that has great proximity to London's main attractions, this would do the job (just don't expect much more)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tassy S
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Hi Tassy,

Thanks for taking the time to review us, WIFI is currently free to YHA members and membership is valid for 1 year and also offers a discount on your overnight stay both in UK and internationally along with mnay other benefits. We do charge for non members but it is something we are looking into so take your comments on board. Our buffet breakfast is £4.99 and is all you can eat. This is excellent value for money in the centre of London although Im a little concerned you say it wasnt very appetising. (I would appreciate you mailing me direct so Im able to look further into this. (stpaulsmanager@yha.org.uk) You mention elevators, our hostel is a listed building and this is explained on all of our booking channels, because of it being grade 2 listed we are unable to install lifts. With reference to the beds and plug sockets we have this in hand and hope to start a minor refurb of the bedrooms later in the year. Im pleased to see that you state that if you were to come again you may book a private room. On your next visit Id be more than happy to make the reservation for you and we can discuss room types at that point. All comments are taken constructively and we try to make improvements based on feedback.
Kind Regards

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed here for one night for a volunteering project in London. It was my first experience staying at a hostel, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised-24 hour reception, a range of snacks and items available at reception and luggage storage for the day after I had checked out. My room was very clean, bed was comfy, and there was a good number of clean toilets and showers just outside my room.

There are some things I'd love for YHA to look into here: modifying the triple bunks-they were difficult to climb without a step ladder, but at the very least it was a good conversation starter with the other guests of the room. My particular room didn't have more than one plug to charge phones but for the price it wasn't a bad cop :)

The staff are a credit to this hostel! So nice and friendly

Room Tip: I didn't realise but the hostel allows you to put your luggage into the storage room if you arri...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Hi Havesomepenguins,

Great name!!
Thanks for the review. Im really pleased to hear that we met your expectations and that your 1st visit to a hostel was a good experience. A couple of things you mention are plug sockets and modifying the triple bunks. We have recently refurbished our restaurant area and also some showers, the next stage will be looking at the bedrooms and of course this includes beds and plug sockets. Because our building is old there were only a small number of sockets in each room. Believe it or not for us to put additional sockets into all of the rooms is quite a big job so we will do this as part of our refurb project later in the year.
Finally thank you so much for your lovely comments about my team. I of course will pass them on.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the YHA

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Another visit here, as always staff very attentive and welcoming. Hostel spotless clean, food not bad, also paid a little extra and got late check out, great value for money in the centre of the City, another plus point is they have a room to store my luggage on the day I checked out,

• Stayed: May 2014
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Hi Blkm123

Great to see you paid us another visit, becoming a regular I believe your 3rd visit this year, we must be doing something right, I will pass on your greatr comments about mybteam and specifically the housekeeping team as you point out the hostel is spotless.

Thansk for the kind words and loking forward to your next visit.

Hostel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near London
YHA London Thameside
East End / East London
The Dictionary Hostel
The Dictionary Hostel
#30 of 896 in London

Been to YHA London St Pauls? Share your experiences!