“a real success”

Ranked #46 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
Deinze, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
“a real success”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

this was the first hostel I ever went to, and I must say tha it was a great experience! The rooms, toilets and showers were clean, the staff very friendly. the breakfast was basic, but OK. I would recommend it especially for it's location. It's just across St. Paul's cathedral and near the subway and the river Thames. only negative point was the noise coming from the street early in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
HI Margot,

Your 1st visit to a hostel, Welcome to the YHA, Thanks for you great comments, our team will be pleased to hear your comments as they pride themselves on great customer service. All of our team believe strongly in our customer charter and we can see by your review that we achieve what we strive for.
We really look forward to welcoming you to YHA England & Wales in the near future.

Hostel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Paid a recent trip here with our family. The hostel is in a great location, 1 min walk from St Pauls Cathedral. The rooms are basic but clean and although there are over 200 beds in the hostel, it didn't feel that busy. We also had the all you can eat breakfast in the restaurant (£4.99 adult) and this was fine for a mass catering establishment.

Its a good place to stay and significantly cheaper than London hotels. Ive been a member of YHA for years and I'm an advocate of their policy of providing good accommodation, in great locations at a reasonable price. This place fits that perfectly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor - the ground floor is a bit dark.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lord_of_the_pies2
Hi Lord,

Many thanks for your review, a great review for prospective hostelers and I will pass on your kind comments to our Housekeeping and Catering team, looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

England
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My third stay here. I would reccomend it. The price is excellent for such a good location. 10 second walk to st Paul's cathedral. 2 minute walk to the tube. A minute walk to buses and taxis.

I booked a single room. Very basic but perfectly adequate. Lovely view of the dome of the cathedral. I checked in late at night and it was smooth and easy.

My only gripe is that I wasn't told the kitchen was being refurbished so no opportunity to have breakfast.

Good left luggage facilities despite the luggage room getting a bit crowded of cases. I like the fact that my bag fit in a locker.

Laundry facilities handy. Helpful staff. Clean and tidy hostel.

• Stayed August 2013
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hi Slippeddisc

Thanks for taking the time to review us at St Pauls, 3 times with us, youre becoming a regular!! We really appreciate your positive comments and hope they help other visitors. Im sorry that you werent informed about the re-furb, I thought we had notified all of our guests so this is an error on our part for which I apologise, however we have a brand new restaurant area for our guests to enjoy along with the free wifi (from 2 Sept) for all members. Looking forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The best thing about this hostel is its position: central London, near St Paul's Cathedral.
There is an underground station near about 5 minutes far from the hostel, and from there you can take the central line and go wherever you want (Take a look at Oyster cards to save money).
The hostel is clean on a daily basis so bathrooms, showers and other services are almost always clean.
If you want to take a 5 people rooms though, think twice. Beds are not so comfortable and they are very bad positioned. Another negative point are the costs; there's no free wifi, you have to pay for it. Actually you have to pay for many other things which are not so cheap...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The hostel was very clean which was good. However, it was mainly a family hostel and was not good for young backpackers. Also, they need free wifi. Also, the bathrooms are pretty far from the rooms and the showers on my floor were not working so we had to go up 3 flights of stairs to shower. Loved how helpful the staff were though!!

YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
HI Sarah,
Thanks a lot for reviewing us at St Pauls, Im pleased that you found the rooms to be clean Ill pass this on to my housekeeping team, Ive looked at our maintenance log about showers out of order. I see that 2 showers have recenlty been out of use however can assure you that they are being repaired as we speak.
With reference to WIFI, we will be offering ALL our members free WIFI from the begining of September so well worth investing in a membership, this not only gives you free WIFI but also £3.00 per night discount (for adullts) from the online price and many other discounts and offers. You mention that you didnt feel this was backpackers hostel, to be honets the majority of our guests are younger backpackers however the UK summer school holidays are from Mid july to end August and we find that during this time we attract families as well as backpackers to the hostel which gives it a great mix.
FInally I thak you for your kind comments about how helpful our team were. We look forward to welcoming you back to St Pauls sometime in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

YHA St. Paul's is in a great location. Walking distance to the Tate, St. Paul's Cathedral, Shakespeare Globe Theatre, and near the bus stop for the Original Bus Tour. Rooms are clean, bed is comfy, and showers were also clean. Only one shower per floor though and you have to pay for wifi and breakfast. I ended up going to Starbucks each morning at St. Paul's cathedral to use the wifi. The staff were a bit rude when I arrived, which was disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank EmilyJR27
Hi Emily,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hostel, I am delighted your found our facilities to be clean and comfortable, you metion that there was only 1 shower on the floor, we do only have 1 shower on the ground floor but have several showers on eash of the 1st 2nd and 3rd floors, unfortunately due to the building being listed and historic we are unable to change this. Good news with reference to WIFI, from the begining of September all of our members will be entitled to free WIFI, this is just one of many fantastic benefits of becoming a member of the YHA, free WIFI, £3.00 off the bed price per night and many other discounts.
I am a little concerned that you found our staff to be rude on arrival and would like the opportuntiy to discuss the matter so I am able to investigate. You can contact on stpaulsmanager@yha.org.uk. WE take all feedback constructively and appreciate the opportunity to put things right.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

An annual trip with the school where I am a governor. Two days in London with 8-11 year olds. Used YHA each time and would not be keen to stay here again. Very noisy at night - no need for alarm clock as St Paul's clock struck every 15 minutes so sleep was difficult. Not very organised for our large party - found it difficult to cope with two vegetarian meals- despite being told in advance. Clean and good showers scattered all along the corridors. Very good central location but you pay for it with lack of sleep!

Room Tip: furthest away from St paul's and take ear plugs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hi Lste,

Thanks for taking the time to review YHA St Pauls, unfortunatley as our location is right next to St Pauls Cathedral we have no control over the cathedral bells, with reference to your comments about our catering department I would be keen to speak with you regarding this. I will pass on your comments to my housekeeing team about the clean showers and toilets. If you would like to contact me on stpaulsmanager@yha.org.uk with your contact number and I would be more than happy to discuss the issue with you.

Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
City of London
Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
#25 of 823 in London

Been to YHA London St Pauls? Share your experiences!