“Awesome location”

YHA London St Pauls
Ranked #45 of 928 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have stayed in St Paul's YHA twice. Once in April 2011, and then again in December/January 2011/2012. We have stayed in two different two bed rooms. One had a tv and large sink, the other had lockers. I love the location of St Paul's, you cannot beat walking past the cathedral each day, or strolling over the millennium bridge to south bank. We enjoyed our time chatting with staff and travellers on the lounge areas and can't wai to visit again. The breakfast is amazing and can't be beaten in any other London YHAs.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrissieMitzen
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Hi Chrissie,

Thanks for your review - it will be particularly useful to users of Trip Advisor as you've stayed here twice (and were happy both times, yay for us!). Particularly good to hear the breakfast was as good as we aim for!

You can't beat hostelling for meeting fellow travellers and having a chat, it's such a great way to travel.

Take care, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We needed a cheap place to stay while we were watching the paralympics and this place was perfect! The beds weren't the comfiest but it was okay for a 2/3 night stay and they had a very good all you can eat breakfast for a very reasonable price. It was right next to St Pauls and had several very close places to eat in the evenings. Very strange 3 level bunk beds but all in all I would definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Imogen W
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Hi Imogen,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, hope the paralympics were as good as they looked on TV too! Good to hear our breakfast getting a shout out, it really is a belly buster!

Thanks again for leaving your review,

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Overall very clean and tidy, great value for the centre of London, opposite one of London's biggest landmarks.

A few criticisms though, me and a friend were staying in a 6 man room, but the layout is stupid a 6 year old could have arranged the beds better, it consists of 2, 3 tiered bunk beds but has no ladders. Unfourntunatly I was staying on the top bunk so to gain access I had to put my foot on the middle bed while someone's sleeping in it. But needless to say I woke him up.

Also the noise on the streets surrounding was quite loud so did take a while to get to sleep.

Good value good location, rooms defiantly need some improvement

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Weetoes99

Hi there,

We're really glad you enjoyed your stay in general. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the style of the beds too much, however we are glad you found them comfortable and clean. There are solid plans in place to replace all existing 3 tiered beds, with conventional two bed bunks, in the not too distant future.

Thanks for providing such detailed feedback, the YHA uses all feedback to improve it's service.

Kind regards, Matt Edwards
Deputy Manager

Reviewed November 23, 2012

When you can see St Pauls out the window its a good start! Weather was horrible cold but it toasty warm in the hostel. Its an old building so that into consideration its a good stay. 3 bed room was not spacious but more importantly it was clean, fresh. Showers really hot, both them and toilets spotless. Lots of hang out space at reception. Only problems; didn't expect to have to pay extra for internet - and there was only internet in reception. Tea/coffee and snacks really expensive...but I didn't want to go out in the cold to the nearest supermarket to get over that problem.

Staff on front desk were helpful, 'average'. Staff in the breakfast room were ... rude. Breakfast food fine so long as you want a full breakfast. I only wanted a coffee, it was 1.50, so i decided to go for the full breakfast for £5 and drink 2 cups of coffee!! I'd definately stay again - i'd bring my own coffee/teabags and snacks!! ;o))

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mirofitz

Hi there,

Thanks for your review - I think you managed to sum up our hostel pretty well there! Old, sometimes strangely shaped rooms - but we are warm, clean and fresh with powerful hot showers!

Like you say, the breakfast is good if you want the whole deal - all you can eat (and drink) for £4.95, however if you just want a coffee, it's a bit steep! It sounds like you got what you needed though! We do sell a range of coffees at reception should you just want coffee next time - also a good tip fopr other travellers, we do have a hot water facility should you want to bring your own tea/coffee!

Again, great review - I think travellers will find it really useful to read.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at this hostel a while back the staff were accommodating and friendly. Me friend and i stayed in a 6 bed dorm. I loved the amount of room available for luggage as I had A FULL sized suit case and it all fit in with room to spare.

The beds weren't the comfiest, but what can you expect its such a good price it didn't matter. Shower areas were clean and tidy.

My only concern with the building the the bell in St Paul's Chiming it went off a fair few times during my stay but there isn't a lot that can be done due to the location, however it makes a good alarm in the morning.

Regardless of the bell I will certainly recommend this hostel to anyone whom wants to save money for attractions and fun while still having a tidy safe room to return to at night.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Hello there,

Thanks for leaving your feedback. Being so close to St Pauls Cathedral is absolutely brilliant in terms of location, and although we truly love the noise from the bells I think people underestimate how great the location of this hostel is - we are literally over the road!

We are really glad you enjoyed the safe, clean environment. We hope you took advantage of our discounted attraction tickets to save even more money!

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hostel is an historical building and it shows as it looks definitely worn and tired in many places. However, they do keep it clean even though it's difficult to make an old building look nice just by cleaning it. There is a notorious scarcity of powerpoints (obviously when the building was designed nobody could think it would be one day full of people each equipped with a laptop and a mobile phone in need of recharging). It has many gender-free individual toilet and shower cubicles, which I think is nicer than a just a couple of gender-seggregated toilets and also more practical than en-suite dormitory showers. Beware, there's no self-catering kitchen, and eating out in the City is not cheap! You are allowed to bring in takeaways/pizzas (of which there are numerous sources in the neighbourhood) or sandwiches from one of the supermarkets nearby (which are themselves expensive), but not alcohol as this would be a breach of their licence as bad for their booze sales. As usual in YHA hostels nowadays, some of the staff are friendly but some others don't even try to hide the disgust their guests cause them.

Room Tip: Smaller dormitories are more expensive and in my opinion not worth it as they tend to be noisy (beca...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steven G
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Love St Paul's YHA. Stayed 4 nights (26-30 Oct 2012) in a 6-bedder. St Paul's fit all my conditions of an enjoyable stay : safe, secure, clean, hot showers with strong water pressure, good room temperature and excellent location, so near to places of happenings. There is also the large supermart just 1 min away that operates 7am-11pm. So convenient!

Additonal plus points, the bed (I was at the highest level) was comfortable, warm blankets, heater in spacious bedroom. Very clean toilets, no queue for the toilets or showers during my entire stay. Breakfast was good. Staff was flexible.

I read about the disturbing hourly chimes from the Cathedral but find that it did not disturb at all as the sound was not loud. I am a light sleeper that wake at someone turning in the bed. But did not find the chimes disturbing. So I did enjoy my entire 4 nights.

Have always stayed in comfy, single room hotels in all my travels which is about 40-50%. First time that I tried a hostel and I love my experience in St Paul's that I have been sharing with my friends.

If I may suggest any room for improvement will be the staff can show more warmth, smile more, less business like. And there can be more power sockets in the dorm for battery charging. Couple more hangers in the dorm and showers will really help too.

Room Tip: Do ask for ground floor if you have luggage. I asked and was given ground floor. Get your St Paul...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo