“A review for those with kids and buggies...”

YHA London St Pauls
Ranked #50 of 908 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Great location, nice safe area and lots to see without trekking too far. In-house restaurant a little disappointing, from the food quality to the seeming lack of enthusiasm but there are plenty of nearby alternatives.

On-the-whole this seems like a well-organised place, it's clean and the showers are great. What else would you want on a budget break to a major city with kids (apart from a bath for those who don't like getting water in their eyes!?

If using a family room be sure to close the windows (which the cleaners leave swinging wide open for some unknown reason?) before your kids climb about on the bunks - it's a long drop from the 2nd/3rd floors (should they venture on the easy-to-reach wide window sills). There are also plenty of steps to negotiate indoors, but with two adults they are easily managed.

Enjoy the bells of St Pauls - when the kids are woken in the dead of night (on the hour, every hour) console yourself with the knowledge that they are, at least, world famous bells.

Room Tip: First floor as no lifts here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank WeLoveCamping

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed one night in the run up to the Olympics as I was working as a Games Maker and came up for a training day.

I booked in in the afternoon then went off to my training. I got back from my evening committment at about 1130pm and couldn't get any food in the nearby area at all other than crisps or chocolate. I went back to the hostel where I bought said crisps and chocolate and a cider. It was a boiling hot night, so I was a bit worried about how hot the room would be as it had been warm earlier in the day.

As it happened, the room wasn't too bad temperature-wise. Before I went out I had deliberately opened all the small windows in the room and closed the curtains on the windows likely to have direct sunshine in. Fortunately none of the other people in the room had seen fit to change this, so the plan worked!

A good nights sleep, nice duvet, decent pillow (although I did nick another one off an empty bed), somewhere to plug my phone in to recharge, and I was away for more training the next morning.

You do indeed hear the bells of St Pauls all night, but I always wear earplugs in hostels anyway! Closing the windows wouldn't really have changed much about the loudness of the bells, so better to be cool with marginal difference in the racket.

If I could ask them to change one thing, it would be to make more food available at night. A toaster behind reception, for example, would be easy for the staff to monitor. I was blinking starving!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank old_fashioned_chair
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I spent three nights in a private room at St. Paul's just before the Olympics, and loved it. There was a good deal of noise from the street late at night, such as trash pickup, people talking, the bells of St. Paul's Cathedral. Earplugs would have taken care of this, along with closing my window. I left it open for cool air.

The location, a block south of St. Paul's, and northeast of the Milennium Bridge over the Thames, is very convenient to both bus and metro stops and Blackfriars Station. The room was tiny, but contained a private sink, which was handy, and the bed was small but very comfortable. I found the lock box to be about right for a small carry-on or medium day pack.

Several single toilets and showers were close to my room, and I never had to wait for one. All were spotless, and recently refurbished, with good pressure and plenty of hot water. I ate breakfast at the in-house cafeteria, and it was adequate but nothing special. As it's a buffet, one can go back for seconds, there was the usual English breakfast array of choices including fresh fruit and yogurt.

The staff I encountered, all seeming to be from somewhere else, were not the warm fuzzy type, but were efficient and on task.

Traveling alone, catching a 3:30am bus, coming and going from the Hostel, I felt safe and welcome at St. Paul's, and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for one NOT facing on the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at this hostel. The staff were very friendly, there were so many tips and guides on places to go in London, breakfast was a yummy serve-yourself cafeteria, the rooms were big and the beds very comfy, the bathrooms were average. The hostel was pretty close to the St. Paul's Underground stop, about a minute away, so that was extremely conveinant. I would definitely reccommend this place to travelling youth and families.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AlexisDorn
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here during the Olympics for 3 nights (parents, children 15 and 11). We had a family room which was clean and the facilities were also clean. Reception was friendly, there is a baggage store for luggage when you check out which has spacious lockers which is really useful. The atmosphere of the place is friendly and safe. As has been said before, the upper floors are warm, as this is an old historic building, but leaving the windows open resolves this problem. The other "downside" is street noise - it is on a narrow street, where any noise carries in the nighttime, and we found this disturbing the first night, but soon got used to it. The other downside for our children was no tv - we liked this - there are tvs in the public rooms.
The best thing about it - the location - minutes from St Pauls, Millenium bridge, the Tate and the South bank for strolls, street entertainment, art and more. The tube is on the doorstep ( 5 mins walk) and goes straight to the Olympic park. I would definitely consider staying here again when visiting London.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Hectorshouse09
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I regularly need somewhere cheap to stay, for just 1 night, in London. I'm so glad to have found the YHA at St Pauls! It's easy to get to, by bus or tube. I've managed to get some really cheap rates, booking in advance (with the YHA membership card discount). The staff have been very efficient & welcoming. It's not just young people staying here - I've seen older guests too (so nobody feels out of place). If you're not ready to go back to your dorm room in the evening/at night, there's a large dining area, where people can watch TV, use their laptops, read etc, and also a little sitting area in the reception. I've seen other reviewers commenting on the level of cleanliness in the shower rooms etc... you do have to remember that this is in London, and London in general is, well, a pretty dirty city... personally, for London standards, I've found this hostel to be fine so far (I've even seen worse bathrooms in a few London hotels!). Although, as in any hostel, I'd recommend wearing flip flops in the shower. I think that maybe, because YHA is a brand, the standards of cleanliness tend to be a bit higher, compared to other independant hostels (but that's just from my experience). Another reviewer mentioned noise from the bells of St Pauls Cathedral, every hour - yes, it's true, but somehow I've managed to get a decent kip here. Plus I'd back up other reviewers recommendations, to remember to bring your own towels & padlock for the locker (rather than buying from the reception).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank cazza999
Reviewed June 26, 2012

St Paul's has a wonderful location. Just next to the beautiful St Paul Cathedral in one of the best (and most posh) part of London. In the past week, I have first stayed with my three female friends (we're all in our late forties) in a shared room for four people on first floor; then they left, I switched to a single-sex dormitory in the basement. The rooms are OK and clean and there are boxes which you can lock with a padlock (although this has to be bought in the reception for 3 pounds if you're not bringing one with you). The rooms lack reading light, but I guess this is done on purpose so that you should not disturb others who want to sleep. The shower in the basement was a really nice surprise--clean and high pressure/lots of water. The dining room is spacious and you can buy breakfast and dinner here (althought the latter is a bit too fast food oriented to me with burgers, pizza and the like). Since there is no kitchen where you can prepare your own meal, I prefer to buy newly brewed coffee and freshly made sandwiches from one of the many take aways that sorrounds this YHA; or, if I'm late, to buy something at Sainsbury's next to St Paul's. The staff is friendly, and there are many suggestions on what's on and what to do on the blackboards. You also get discounts on many of the attractions. What I enjoyed most while staying here was free however; sitting in the square behind St Pauls listening to people playing the piano that was placed here by the City of London. There are 50 such pianos spread all over London--and there are so many musical people in this city that I'm totally amaced!

My only complaint is with respect to payment and refunding; You have to pay the total amount upfront, and if your want to change your booking (say, cancel a day or two) you must ask for refunding by filling in a form by hand and then send it by post to a special office; and you don't even get the total amount you paid. That said, I love to come back and would recommend everyone--young and and not so young--to visit YHA St Paul's.

Room Tip: The dormitories (room 1 and 2) are slightly below street level and are a bit noisy during night (not...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kristinnorway_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
City of London
Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
#23 of 908 in London

Been to YHA London St Pauls? Share your experiences!