“My favorite YHA so far”

YHA London St Pauls
Ranked #50 of 908 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 26, 2012

St Paul's has a wonderful location. Just next to the beautiful St Paul Cathedral in one of the best (and most posh) part of London. In the past week, I have first stayed with my three female friends (we're all in our late forties) in a shared room for four people on first floor; then they left, I switched to a single-sex dormitory in the basement. The rooms are OK and clean and there are boxes which you can lock with a padlock (although this has to be bought in the reception for 3 pounds if you're not bringing one with you). The rooms lack reading light, but I guess this is done on purpose so that you should not disturb others who want to sleep. The shower in the basement was a really nice surprise--clean and high pressure/lots of water. The dining room is spacious and you can buy breakfast and dinner here (althought the latter is a bit too fast food oriented to me with burgers, pizza and the like). Since there is no kitchen where you can prepare your own meal, I prefer to buy newly brewed coffee and freshly made sandwiches from one of the many take aways that sorrounds this YHA; or, if I'm late, to buy something at Sainsbury's next to St Paul's. The staff is friendly, and there are many suggestions on what's on and what to do on the blackboards. You also get discounts on many of the attractions. What I enjoyed most while staying here was free however; sitting in the square behind St Pauls listening to people playing the piano that was placed here by the City of London. There are 50 such pianos spread all over London--and there are so many musical people in this city that I'm totally amaced!

My only complaint is with respect to payment and refunding; You have to pay the total amount upfront, and if your want to change your booking (say, cancel a day or two) you must ask for refunding by filling in a form by hand and then send it by post to a special office; and you don't even get the total amount you paid. That said, I love to come back and would recommend everyone--young and and not so young--to visit YHA St Paul's.

Room Tip: The dormitories (room 1 and 2) are slightly below street level and are a bit noisy during night (not...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kristinnorway_10

Reviewed June 3, 2012

This place will always be my favourite hostel in London. I stayed here ages ago as a kid and return each and every time I'm in London. It's safe, the people are friendly, the breakfast is great, and the location cannot be beat. I've always stayed in a dormitory room and think the beds are brilliant - There's a sliding cupboard located right next to your head where you can stash your mobile, keys, and glasses while you sleep. Everyone has a larger cupboard for their luggage near their head and the beds stack 3 on top of one another. I've never stayed in a room that was full to capacity, however, so this hasn't been a problem. There is a sink in-room and a coat rack, too. The windows open to a great view of the area outside.

From the hostel, you can easily walk to Charing Cross and to a number of pubs and eateries nearby. A Sainsbury's is located two blocks over, on the other side of St. Paul's proper, and is open until 11pm usually if you need to make a quick run for a nighttime snack or toiletries. The only downside is that the walk to the underground is a bit of a haul. Not long, just 15 minutes or so, but there are bus lines that leave right around the corner so you don't have to worry. During the riots last Spring a friend and I had to hoof it all the way from Trafalgar back to the hostel in the dead of night because the underground was shut down. It was a very, very long walk, but it was scenic and I learned that it can be done. My only complaint, I suppose, is that the wifi is a little pricey and the showers are not the cleanest but you give some and you get some.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Mayyim
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Okay, it's a hostel, and as far as hostels go, it's pretty good. It was recommended by a well-travelled friend who stays there often. I was there for three nights and didn't have such a great time. The bathrooms were a bit insalubrious when I stayed. Worst of all, I forgot my lock and bought one at reception. It was malfunctional and in the morning I could not get my stuff (including clothes!). After trying to alter the housekeeper, discreetly in my nightclothes, she accused me of forgetting the code. Charming.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stayed here alone for one night, for an audition the following day. I regularly travel on my own, but it always seems important to be somewhere I feel safe; YHA St Pauls was ideal.
I checked in a dumped my bags in my private room. The staff were helpful informing me about breakfast/dinner times, etc... My room was basic, but for one night what more could I need? I had a bed, a sink and some storage space. I also was lucky enough to be on one of the higher floors, and (you're REALLY, probably not meant to) as the windows opened able the way, in the morning I sat on the window, legs dangling outside, and watched the suits go buy they're breakfasts from the cafes opposite.
I walked through, but did not eat in, the communal canteen and it had a friendly atmosphere buzzing through it.
Really cheap, really basic, really good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Martha_W_A
Reviewed May 1, 2012

What a great place for a family to stay in the heart of the city!! The old choristers accomodation makes a perfect,if slightly eccentric, hostel and we, as a family, thoroughly enjoyed our stay here! Very comfortable room, and the staff were brilliant in about 5 languages each!!
The fact that everything in London is just a short bus ride, or a walk, away is a major plus; we'd stay here again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank ENZEDFamily
Reviewed April 13, 2012

The pros: it's in a beautiful old building, with comfortable common spaces, and a central location (five minutes from Tate Modern and Millennium Bridge, a stone's throw from Saint Paul's). Cheap meals are served in the dining area, and WIFI is available for 5 pounds/24 hours.

The cons: the rooms were clean, but very sparse and sterile, and my little single room was the size of a shoebox! It was cheap -- 33 pounds a night-- but I think I'd have preferred a dorm room after all. Also (and this is why I ended up changing hotels) the bells ring ALL NIGHT, and depending on where your room is, this could wake you up every half an hour. Also, if you're looking to meet people, this doesn't really seem to be the place, as it seemed to be mostly family-oriented, and guests tended to keep to themselves while I was there. Personally, I wasn't looking for a party hostel, so this was fine with me, but it definitely felt more sedate than other hostels.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank v0yageuse2
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We booked a family room, 3 months ahead of flying from Australia to London and it was well worth the pre planning as a number of people were turned away as it was booked out. ( we didn't book YHA's in Penzance and Stow on the Wold and a number of other spots and were suprised that they were booked out?

St Paul's Cathedral at the time of our visit was surrounded by protesters that kept us awake one night with their rendition of " Can you hear the drums fernando". Apart from that excitement, the family room was basic with an internal sink, and the WC was across the hall. Nice cosy lounge and dining room ( not for self catering) but if you bought a pre made salad from Marks & spencer across the road, you could eat it inside in this area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank David W
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
City of London
Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
#23 of 908 in London

Been to YHA London St Pauls? Share your experiences!