“A Home Away from Home”

Ranked #48 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
Sydney
“A Home Away from Home”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have stayed at Castletown House a few times now and really enjoy returning to my 'London base'. Having experienced both the studio apartment and one bedroom flat, it is comforting and reassuring to have all the mod cons at one's disposal taking a lot of the stress out of travelling.

Castletown is well situated between two tube stations, handy for both Heathrow and into central London. There are two small supermarkets nearby with a larger Tescos 10 mins away. For a drink or two, try The Curtains Up a few minutes down the road and for delicious vegetarian / vegan food, go to Veggie Vegan down North End Road.

Lastly, Mark and Richard are on hand with friendly and helpful advice ensuring a pleasant stay that will have you returning to Castletown - as I do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

3rd visit in 2012, apartments had all that was needed for a comfortable stay to do our own cooking, a quiet location, easy access to underground, and a 24 hr Tesco 10 minute walk away, all at a reasonable price. You can also view some of the apartments through the Castletown website on Youtube which is very helpful.
Mark and Richard very helpful.
Very happy with our accommodation and will be a return visitor on next trip to London as couildn't fault the accommodation and location.

Room Tip: have stayed in studio basement apartments at Castletown, and also their 1 bedroom apartment on the t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ken D
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

At the end of a touring holiday of the UK my wife and I had an eight day stay in London. We wanted somewhere where we would not be lviing out of our suitcases .... where we could stay in and cook if we wanted to ..... where we could catch up on our washing ..... and where we could 'come home' at night ... where we could have our own space..

We chose the right place.

We arrived back in London 3 hours before check in time and when we phoned to see if we could at least drop of our cases they instead made sure our appartment was the first cleaned and let us move in early.

We had a one bedroom apartment on the first floor (the one with the little balcony overlooking the street) and it was ideal. Our hosts were helpfull, the location was great, the accommodation itself fine and the cost was very reasonable (for London!).

When it came time to leave as we had an evening flight we once again asked if we could put our cases somewhere safe for the day and this time were able to leave them in the apartment and keep a key until 4.30pm.

Mark even arranged a mini cab for us to Heathrow .... good value and on time.

It is staying somewhere like this that helps take the hassle out of holidays.

Room Tip: We were give the first floor room because we asked for one with a washing machine with a 'proper...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 09Realist
Toronto
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our family (with 3 young kids) stayed here for 5 nights during Paralympic Games. Location was convenient as subway station around the corner - kids skipped there every morning on our way out. A couple of small grocery stores within a 2 minute walk and several fast food (mostly ethnic) restaurants very close. Our 3 bedroom apartment was at the top floor with several narrow flights of stairs but we only did it with our luggage twice and this is Europe after all. Accommodations were spacious enough and comfortable and clean. Bathrooms are modern and convenient. We all slept well - windows seemed to soundproof any street traffic noise and mattresses and duvets are very comfortable. I would definitely book again for our family. Hosts were very good with trying to help us out whenever they could.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Albany, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We recently stayed at the 3 bedroom apartment. As others have indicated, Mark is very friendly and tries to do everything he can to make your visit enjoyable. The tube line is basically around the corner and there are a number of shops and take-out places nearby. The apartment is a fair number of flights up but Mark helped with our luggage.Like any flat, house, etc. periodic maintenance is required. This apartment is in need of a good sprucing up - painting, replacement of some old and nearly broken down furniture, burned-out light bulbs, etc. That is why I characterize it as OK but quite tired. For those familiar with the "camps" of the Northeast, I would say the apartment is a notch or two above a camp. Certainly acceptable but not a 3 Star facility as it now stands.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank QTIPNUM1
RichardPop, Manager at Castletown House, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
We would like to thank our guests for staying with us at Castletown House, and are thankful for their review. We are delighted that they enjoyed most of their stay with us. We continually redecorate our apartments, and I am delighted to say we have recently redecorated this three bedroom apartment to a high standard. We have added additional storage and fully brightened up this apartment, including a brand new shower and two new King Size beds. We are not fully aware what a camp is, however this apartment has been consistently awarded its four Star Self Catering rating. We do hope to welcome back our guests soon, and if they were to stay in the three bedroom apartment, I am confident they would be delighted with our improvements, as would our future guests.

Mark Poppleton
Manager
Staffordshire
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I have now become a regular here and I just love it.

My job takes me into many areas of London, but it is always worth the journey from East London or wherever to come back here.

It will always be my first choice whenever I am looking for accommodation in London. It now feels like home from home.

Mark will do his very best to give you the best flat available at the time of check-in.

The flats are so well equipped and comfortable and I get a great night's sleep because location is just far enough from the main drag to be quiet, but close to the tube, shops and takeaways to accomodate your needs.

As I have now stayed in, or viewed, most of the flats/studios available, I really can't understand the negative comments.

Have to say, that the only reason I would consider giving this accommodation a negative review is to make sure there is always availabilty for me to stay....but that is just selfish.

Love it.

Room Tip: No need to do this as a quiet location and I beleive you will get the best room available on arrival...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Angela H
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Came back from Our 2night stay here yesterday, 3 adults and 1 baby....we booked a 1 bed apartment but when we turned up we had been changed to a 2 bedroom apartment in perham road which is just around the corner, very very pleased with this I don't know why more places don't do this if the rooms not being used....such a nice touch and the extra space was very much welcomed with a 1year exploring all rooms.

The apartment is a good size with everything you need for your stay, again felt like a local coming back to my apartment even started picturing my own furniture in the apartment I could def live here :-)

Lovely safe neighbourhood, lovely location, tesco express and co op just round the corner tube two min walk and easy access to all places you want to visit in London. Mark was very very helpful and friendly again a lovely laid back attitude and even let us keep the room on later, I'm sure during busy times(Olympics) this wouldnt be possible but it's nice to know that when it is, it's not made into a problem.

As a air hostess I get asked all the time for recommendations and I will be recommending Castletown/perham road and will def book here again on any future trips to London.

Thank u for a lovely stay.

• Stayed July 2012