“Afternoon Tea”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
Description: Offering postcard-worthy views over Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, Afternoon Tea at The Library Lounge is housed in the Marriott County Hall Hotel. In this landmark building, gorgeous library-style surroundings offer old world charm.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Arrived early and were given a window table in The Library at 2pm. We had booked or 2.30 so quite nice to be offered a table earlier.
Beautiful building full of beautiful woods. It must have been very grand in its heyday. Thought it was close to Waterloo Station so had to ask a passer-by where it was.
The staff in The Library were very attentive and polite. Nothing was too much trouble. More sandwiches offered and a change of teapot with hot tea.. The sandwiches were very nice but not too keen on cream cheese and chive spread for a scone. The other scone was orange crust but it didn't taste any different that a plain scone. Cakes 'bite' size and very pretty. We were meant to have champagne but think it was CAVA, but quite drinkable.
Now the 'downside' - we requested a window table, which we got, but was not aware that construction work was taking place. There was scaffolding around the window, scaffold boards in place and green netting spoiling our view. This was very disappointing as that was why we choose County Hall. We also had the occasional builder walk pass. If you are going for a nice river view you need to check out the building works. We would not have gone at this time had we known. I rang and re-confirmed our booking a couple of days before and think I should have been told about the works.

1  Thank Aholidayfan

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a voucher for afternoon tea here, bought with Tesco vouchers, and what a lovely time we had! It was quiet, as we were booked in at 1pm, and it's in a lovely old english setting with a great view of the river and the chimes of Big Ben can be heard. We were shown a case of teas and asked to choose, we chose two each and pots of these arrived. We were asked about preferences for the sandwiches, and as a vegetarian I requested no meat or fish. Two plates of sandwiches were put in front of us, one veggie, one with beef and ham filling, plus a savoury and a sweet scone each, with sour cream and chive (I think), and jam and clotted cream, plus a plateful of little cakes, all looking delicious. Amazing! Incredibly, we were asked if we wanted more sandwiches - well, unfortunately we couldn't fit them in! Maybe a doggie bag?! The lovely staff also refreshed the teapots, brought us glasses of champagne, also replenished as soon as you had a few sips - really, it was so nice and we would 100% go again, but next time, we won't eat breakfast that day. Or possibly dinner the night before!

1  Thank innerpsystem
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We do a number of afternoon teas in London every year. The food is normally good and the Library Lounge was no exception (although the sweet scones were the best I have ever had). The best thing about the Library Lounge was the service. It was impeccable, the staff were welcoming, friendly and very professional. We had a very fussy 13 year old girl with us who will only eat bread and ham with nothing else. I had added the request to my booking for a plain ham sandwich. It wasn't there but when I asked if it would be possible to get one, the staff were very apologetic that they had missed the request and we had the sandwich within minutes. This may not sound very important but we have been to places where, at twice price, they make such a fuss about asking the chef (?) to prepare one. The bubbly was freeflowing and we did not have to ask once for a refill, they just top you up until you beg them to stop. We did not feel rushed at all, it was a very relaxed afternoon. We tend to go to a different venue each time for afternoon tea, but I think we may make an exception for the Library Lounge and go back again...and again. I NEVER leave an additional gratuity if they add service charge, but I did this time.

1  Thank Butterball100
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had a lovely Afternoon Tea in the Library Lounge of this hotel. The offer booked was "Afternoon Tea with Free Flowing Bubbles" and they weren't wrong. I believe in the time that we were there my glass was only empty once and this was for a matter of a few seconds. The staff were extremely attentive, helpful and very friendly.
The only disappointment I would say is that as they're having some external renovations done the view of the Thames was obscured by the scaffolding. We were told the work is just about finished so the scaffolding might not be there much longer. I definitely wouldn't let the lack of a view put you off as it's a very beautiful venue anyway.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We are girls who like an afternoon tea so have tried many including the Ritz, the Savoy (pre and post refurbishment) and Claridges.
The greeting on arrival was warm, we were offered a table by the window but were advised that, due to renovations, the scaffolding rather obscured the view so we were happy to take a table in one of the little alcoves that made it nice and private. We were then presented with a box of teas from which to choose our preferred brew which was a really nice touch.
The vegetarian options were a revelation, having, on a occasions been palmed off with egg, cucumber and cheese sandwiches, the Library Lounge had gone out of its way to come up with some different options like beetroot and cream cheese and a carrot concoction, all of which were delicious. Have a savoury scone with cream cheese was also a welcome change.
It was advertised as 'Afternoon tea with free-flowing bubbles' and the fizz was certainly free-flowing. Our glasses were regularly topped up and the service was excellent overall, attentive but not intrusive.
I had booked the tea to celebrate my daughter's forthcoming wedding and I had noted this at the time of booking. The maître de had picked up on this and chatted to my daughter about her the wedding which was a lovely personal touch.
I will definitely return and would recommend the Library Lounge as an excellent venue for afternoon tea.