“Taste of Ethiopia”

Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,427 of 23,234 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was fortunate to have spent several months in Ethiopia many years ago and loved not only the food but the communal method of eating. I was pleased to see such a highly rated restaurant in London and I am very pleased we tried it. The owner/ waitress was very pleasant and helpful in picking dishes and we enjoyed them all. The Doro wot was thick and very spicy and delicious, and my only comment is that given the lack of utensils it would be easier to eat if the chicken was deboned. The injera was good but not made with Tef. The spicy beef dish was good as were the veggie dishes. I particularly liked the split yellow peas which were a nice mild compliment to the main dishes. We had mint tea which was lovely. We didn't try dessert as we were very full. Lovely meal and brought back good memories of Ethiopia.

There are newer reviews for Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This small restaurant, tucked away behind Pentonville Prison, is definitely worth seeking out. For me it was a first (but I hope not last) taste of Ethiopian cuisine, and I found it extremely enjoyable - for £16 pounds ahead we had enough food to keep us very nicely full, with an Ethiopian beer to drink.

Served communally, and eaten by tearing the unleavened bred into little 'parcels' one fill with meat or vegetables (these were particularly nice), eating is an enjoyable and eating experience.

Kokeb is a small restaurant (6 tables, I think), and clearly the lovely and welcoming owner has a lot to do to serve and (I think) cook as well - so this isn't the place to go for fast food. But if you want to try something different in north London, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Yummo! Very accomodating for my friend to practice his language skills. Order what she tells you to and it will be worth it.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

There are several choices in London for Ethiopian, and I've just had the best. The food is excellent; you can taste the care, subtlety, effort and quality whatever you order. I had the vegetarian combination and couldn't decide which dish I liked better. The dining space is very well-lit, nicely decorated and comfortable. Above all, the service is wonderful; a very hospitable if not familial atmosphere. I cannot recommend Kokeb enough!

1  Thank Suavein650
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I visited with a group of colleagues after reading the excellent reviews on here. None of us having eaten Ethiopian food before, we were a bit unsure what to order so decided on the Kokeb House Special priced at £14 each. We were served a delicious selection of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes accompanied by injera (Ethiopian flatbread). It was also good to sample Ethiopian lager and bitter and everything is very reasonably priced. I would probably go every night if I was a local! Highly recommended.