“A tiny little room”

Holland Inn Hotel
Ranked #425 of 557 London B&B and Inns
“A tiny little room”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I booked this place, then read the reviews, then decided to check it out for myself, intending to stay elsewhere if it was too terrible. The room was tiny, but it had everything, the. Bed was comfortable, everything worked. The staff were friendly. It was ok as budget accommodation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Quonut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Ok so I'd read the reviews I thought I knew what I was in for. Wrong! it's worst then any review could make you imagine. Where to start - the room is soo small I have to keep my bag in the toilet, which is dirty & stinks. The door to my room does not shut properly thus preventing it from locking. My camping bed is broken with no quilt, my shower door does not close so when I have a one handed shower(as there's no holder for the shower head) the floor floods. Oh did I mention that there's only two temperatures on the shower : skin peeling hot & icicle cold. There's various substances on the walls that I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to what they are. Dirty grimy hell hole. There must be a water tank next to my room that is on constant refill as it doesn't shut up. It's cold and noisy and depressing the staff haven't got a clue, and the cleaner "repacks" your stuff.after sleeping ( and I use that term loosely) I was covered in a rash and what I was sure was bites. If you enjoy arabic I'm sure you'll enjoy the arabic tv thats on loud in the reception area. Seriously don't bother you'd be better off sleeping in a bush. It'd be cleaner, warmer ,quieter and cheaper. Worst place I have ever stayed. EVER!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Tokay88

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I am appalled by this hotel! First of all I booked through Late Rooms and when I booked I realised I entered the wrong card details, I rang Late Rooms and they were very helpful and said that the card is just to reserve the room, no deposit to be paid, and I can use a different card to pay. Fine I thought and it did say the card was just to reserve the room. I arrived at the hotel and the first thing I saw was the front garden full of rubbish, not a good start, then I got inside to find out that my room had been given to someone else. I was told by the man behind the counter that my card had been declined and that they had been trying to ring me all day to get other card details from me. This was an absolute joke, I had a shift starting at 6 that morning and hadn't slept for the rest of the day and definitely had signal. I am a teenager and very rarely off my phone. I definitely did not receive any such call and the audacity of this man to tell me they had been trying to ring me all day when they clearly hadn't. If that wasn't enough he basically just said get out. I could not believe it. I live in the North of England so there was no possible way to get home and it was lucky that I found a hotel close that had a room. I was so shocked by the level of service at this hotel, I will definitely not stay here and would not recommend anyone else to stay here, even if your budget only suits this hotel. I would recommend a hostel which is even cheaper and has better service!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Charlotte G
Borehamwood
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I booked a room described as a double room with a private bathroom. In fact it was a single room with a double bed taking up most of the room. The "bathroom" was a small area containing shower, WC and wash basin. No remote for the TV and when I asked for one the guy on reception said I would have to wait for 4 hours until someone else arrived as he was only standing in for a friend. I said he must find a remote or move me to a room which did have one and he then managed to produce a remote after about 5 mins. Area for hanging clothes contained only 3 hangers, no drawer space, no table and chair (not enough room for them) Clean sheets, but blankets which did not appear to have been cleaned for a long time. The breakfast room was minute and crammed and toast and marmalade is apperently the staple of a "continental" breakfast. £60 for the night was not a bargain price for what was on offer.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jerrytBorehamwood
Bath
Reviewed January 30, 2013

After reading the reviews on here, I knew what to expect to some degree. People will tend to exaggerate a bit and I've tried to base the rating and review on value and experience from my stay.

Positives first - the location is good for Kensington Olympia conferences and probably is the reason why most people choose here (myself included). Modern flat screen TV with freeview, tea, coffee, milk (UHT) in a fridge and shampoo are in the room for free. It cost £40 for a night in central London, so thought I'd save the company some money if I stayed here rather than getting an expensive early morning train up. It's a nice looking building (if you ignore the random pile of stuff in the front garden) in a good area. And that's probably all the positives....

Negatives (and most of the story) - I was given a basement single room from the guy on reception. He seemed ok, he was watching a film on the PC which is the sort of thing that doesn't bother me but isn't particulary professional. He handed a paper form over to sign once I'd given my name, we exchanged a few words and got the key. Fine.

After walking down some stairs, I was greeted with a dark hallway and eventually navigated to my room. I opened the door and I was exposed to the smallest room I've ever had to stay in before. After first being in a slight state of shock about the size, I noticed a distinct smell of tobacco in the air. I was told at the desk strictly no smoking, so it was definitely a non-smoking room, but I could see that the smoke detector was covered with a home made tin foil cover, so someone before me must have got desperate in there! Unfortunately for me, this meant the blanket smelt too which isn't something you should expect at any hotel as it affected my sleep a bit.

I tried to make a cup of tea and noticed the kettle was fixed to a cracked plastic tray, clearly broken to any housemaid filling up the tea and coffee when servicing the room, but had just left as it was. The kettle was unplugged, which seemed a bit odd, so I plugged it in, and it wouldn't stop boiling until I unplugged it back from the mains! Quite comical really, but clearly they can't be bothered to repair things.

A few more points before I write more than my university dissertation -

The walls hadn't been painted for years and could have done with some TLC.

The bathroom was a tiny wet room with a broken sliding door. Hot/Cold symbols were labelled the wrong way around on the shower.

The room was noisy in the morning when people were walking down the stairs and chatting by the breakfast room.

Breakfast was a choice of toast or cornflakes and cheese/jam/butter. I didn't feel particularly welcomed on arrival to breakfast, and felt a bit awkward guessing if it was self service after saying hello to the female attendant.

To sum it up, only stay here if £40 is your budget. i would really like to give the place 'poor' rather than 'terrible', but I can't justify 'not being burgled, or attacked' as a reason to go up a star. If you go there thinking "I'm going to have a terrible experience, but £40 is all i can spend and I need to walk to Olympia in under 5 mins", then go for it.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere if you can afford another £15
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank chrisbrought125
manchester
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I booked this hotel at very short notice as me my girlfriend were going to the westend to see a play and didn,t want to have to leave london early to catch the train home. I wish now that I had read some reviews as I genuinely haven't felt clean since i left the hotel. In fact the place was so dirty I wouldn't be surprised if I suddenly came down with a touch of plague. Here are a list of reasons why you would be better to sleep in a bin than stay here.

1. Red and black stains on the wall.
2. A batroom that within about 1metre square encompasses a toilet and a shower. Although if you like to shower while using the toilet this is ideal.
3. Bedsheets with pieces of unidentifiable black dirt (maybe a bread few crumbs for the mice see No.7).
4. The air con mentioned in the blurb is actually a fan. That doesnt work. Neither does the TV.
5. The room is smaller, i would estimate, than than the average solitary confinement prison cell.
6. Being greated at the front desk by a man who was also eating his dinner (a tasty looking lasagne to be fair). He was also there when we came back at night mysteriously sitting behind the desk in the pitch dark.
7. And my personal favourite the rentakill rat box to dispatch any unwelcome guests to your personal hell hole. Although I'd be surprised if even the rats wouldn't be put off by this place.

Although we were able to laugh this off after getting over the initial fear of falling asleep in this room I would advise anyone not to stay here unless you literally have no other choice.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank matthan88
victoria
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The room were quait small and sheets not even very clean at all,no hot water.Being honest it was just better than sleeping outside in a very cold night.But that is all.i will surely not go back.And not recommend anyone to stay there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business