“The pit of despair”
Review of Holland Inn Hotel

Holland Inn Hotel
Ranked #432 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Do not under any circumstances go to this 'hotel'. It is diabolical. We were put in a room with no windows! The AC wasn't working and it was dirty and noisy. We went two weeks ago and it was the worst hotel i've ever stayed in. I used to be in the armed forces and the hole in the ground i dug to sleep in on survival training would be a step up from the Holland Inn!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Nick P

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We booked this place for two nights before reading reviews of it. After reading reviews I booked another hotel provisionally for the second night, in case it was as bad as the reviews here stated. I am so glad that I did that!

The room was small and stuffy, the radiator was on full blast and could not be turned off, and the window couldn't open for air. The sheets were clean enough. There was a funny smell in the bathroom - it smelt of damp and mould.

The worst was the guy at reception - we arrived at about 11.30pm, and after checking in we asked was there anywhere nearby we could get something to eat (knowing it was late, but we were hungry and London is a 24hour city, surely). His reply .... "No". So then we asked did he know of any takeaways nearby, or anywhere we could phone and get takeaway delivered? Again... "No". That was it. No offer of help, or looking anything up online, nothing. So we went out ourselves and luckily managed to find an absolutely lovely restaurant about ten minutes walk away, which was open until the early hours of the morning, serving beautiful food.

The next day we checked out. While one night was kind of funny, sort of like Fawlty Towers, I really think I would have cried if I had to stay a second night.

A word of warning: these guys make you pay for the full stay upfront, even before you see the room! And then you can't get a refund if you decide you want to leave. This happened to my colleague who had to stay for 3 nights with her partner. Do NOT pay in full upfront, give yourself the option of leaving if you have a bad experience!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Katie D
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Smallest room I have ever seen....seriously.
Bed was uncomfortable and made up with low quality sheets and a blanket. No towel.
Literally room had small single bed, small fridge wirh a safe on top and funny tiny little plant pot type plinth/table. Wardrobe was just a hook on the wall. Even had to pay for really bad wifi.
Oh dear.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Bigmacro
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Unfortunately this hotel was closely named to one nearby our initial choice, hence the booking mistake was made internally, but that said we remained optimistic having checked images on the website. We could not have been more wrong. We were greeted in reception by a man with no shirt or indeed anything on top. The area to check in was so small it made the whole process stressful. Myself and my two colleagues were greeted by rooms that were unacceptably small, and for myself a room with no window! There was no wardrobe to speak of and the carpet was filthy. So much so that I used the towels to walk on in my bare feet. The shower was so small it was hard to use and the water kept going from hot to cold. After a pavement meeting we came to the conclusion that it was going to be very difficult to book in elsewhere and so we went out as late as possible so that it was a 'sleep only' experience. The next morning I was met by the steepest stairs on the way to breakfast and a disgustingly dirty carpet that was so thread bare it was a complete trip hazard. The breakfast room at the bottom was so small and had no windows. There were few tables and nowhere to sit, with us all fighting for our tiny corner of space and moving around each other to make toast and get a tea or coffee. I have to say, that after putting my bread into the toaster and realising after it was browned that it, and the rest of the bread on offer was covered in green mould was a real low point for me. And, I have to say, sums this hotel up completely. PLEASE - look elsewhere and don't think I exaggerate, this is the opinion of myself and my two colleagues. Not to mention the lovely lady i met outside from America who goes home believing UK hotels are nothing short of disgusting. The owners are out for the profit - not to make your experience a comfortable one.

Room Tip: Read tripadvisor before booking
Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lynda S
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The room was totally dirty: fist-size fluffs in the fan and the heater, the greyish-brownish carpet had stains, which let guess, that they already stayed there since years.
The (single) room itself was of the size of a doghouse and the floor was strangely completely steeply sloping.
The telly wasn't working - it was fixed on the wall next to the dust-covered fan and cables hung loosely down.
The shower stall door would not close and the shower hose had a leak, so the water splashed in all directions.
Payments with credit cards were charged on site with an extra of 3%, additionally to the transaction fees of the credit card company and without any visible prior notice during the booking process.
To leave the luggage after the checkout in the narrow, unattended corridor next to the reception desk was charged with another 5 GBP
The staff wasn't too friendly anyway.
To enter the hotel was only possible through a cloud of smoke, as the staff and probably some guests used to smoke outside, right at the entrance. Whenever I entered or left the hotel, there was someone (or even groups) smoking outside. This entrance was also right beneath my room window. Hence the room smelled for cigarette smoke as well.
Strongly NOT recommended!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank G-B-Germany
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Filthy, cramped, unhealthy even for loved animals. But they have the nerve along with the cooperation of Hotels.C to stubbornly refuse to refund your money, when you arrive and personally discover the despicable condition of the place and refuse to check in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ohiobajantraveler
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I should have know by the numerous bags of refuse sitting in the front court yard that this was not going to be an enjoyable experience but ever the optimist I checked in. To say I was a little shocked when I opened the door to my room is the understatement of the year, I could actually reach the far wall of the room standing in the doorway. My wardrobe consisted of 3 hooks on the wall with 1 hanger. The laminate on the floor was completely worn away at the entrance to the 'bathroom' which had a folding door which was split in two. The mirror in the bathroom was held in place by a rusty nail and I still haven't decided if the grout between the tiles was supposed to be pink or if it was some kind of exotic mould! I decided to be brave and pull back the covers on the bed to be greeted by 'hair' in the bed. By now I thought it just couldn't get any worst but again I underestimated the powers of the Holland Inn, I pulled by the sheet to view thee most disgusting sight I've ever seen. The stains on the mattress had stains of there own, yellow/black choose a colour you could probably find one in the colour of you choice. Enough was enough and regardless of the fact it was 6 o clock in a strange city I decided to check out. When I told the desk clark I was checking out due to the poor standard of the room I was stared at and told to leave my key on the desk. If you value your health DO NOT stay here!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont Stay Here!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business