“Fizz and afternoon tea in the Claridges bubble ....”

The Foyer At Claridge's
Ranked #408 of 25,276 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The huge sparkling Chihuly light sculpture and grand art deco of the Foyer transforms this Mayfair restaurant into a magical dining space, whilst the inviting banquettes of the Reading Room allow for more intimate dining. Frequented by famous faces for over a hundred years, it's the perfect venue for a light meal, sipping cocktails and the best afternoon tea in London.
Reviewed July 17, 2016

Superb on all fronts - location, surroundings, ambience, fantastic, friendly and welcoming service and the most delicious and generous afternoon tea. Lots of lovely touches. Definitely a cut above other afternoon tea experiences. Add a glass of fizz. Perfect way to spend the afternoon!

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank alisonm794
Russell_Platt, Director of food and beverage at The Foyer At Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2016

Dear Alison M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic feedback following your recent visit to the Foyer and reading room.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your afternoon tea experience here and that it was the perfect way to spend an afternoon.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed July 17, 2016 via mobile

I visited Claridge's for afternoon tea to celebrate my mum's birthday. I last visited about four years ago and had a lovely experience. This time round, I was quite disappointed. Food-wise the sandwiches were fine but nothing stood out (I thought a few of them were actually quite bland), the pastries were impressive in presentation though and the two children who were with us were thrilled with their special menu, the teas we tried were also lovely. What was frustrating was the service. The waiter was friendly and whenever we asked for anything he was always happy to oblige but I felt like we were constantly asking for things that should have been offered as a matter of course. I had to ask for extra water glasses for some of our guests, our cups of teas were never refilled without us prompting the waiter to do so, and it got to the point where I didn't even have the energy to ask for a tea top-up or to try any more teas. I do expect more from my experience of afternoon tea at somewhere like Claridge's and unfortunately on this occasion it was a real let-down.

1  Thank PomJaMa
Russell_Platt, Director of food and beverage at The Foyer At Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2016

Dear PomJaMa,

Thank you for taking the time to write following your recent visit for afternoon tea to celebrate your mum's birthday.

I was sorry to read about your disappointment with your experience on this occasion and would like to discuss the details further with you.

If it is convenient for you may I please ask you to contact me directly on rplatt@claridges.co.uk

Reviewed July 17, 2016 via mobile

Not nearly as good as it was....
tea could have been hotter.
Pot only filled one cup and no pot of hot water as previously.
Biscuits used to be fabulous but now slightly half baked!!!

I cannot speak about the general hotel and my review is just my experience having tea.

1  Thank janemF843CG
Reviewed July 16, 2016

This was not my first afternoon tea and it won't be my last, but it was amazing in every respect. The hotel and tea room is so elegant. The staff is reserved, knowledgeable, and attentive. The choices of tea is in the 20's. The food was sublime. All the elements of afternoon tea are taken to the next level at this posh, classic establishment. Don't miss it.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank ProfMH629

Dear PofMH629,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic comments following your recent visit for afternoon tea. I am delighted to read that you found the staff reserved, knowledgeable and attentive and have shared your comments with the them. It is also wonderful to read that your visit was amazing in every respect.

Your review and recommendation are greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back on anther occasion.

Reviewed July 15, 2016

Myself and my daughter recently celebrated special birthdays and taking Afternoon Tea at Claridges was one of our 2016 highlights for sure. Being located close to London we have taken several teas in other establishments, however Claridges is to date the best we have sampled. Not the cheapest but the whole experience was fantastic. We arrived slightly earlier than 2.45 but were greeted with a friendly welcome from the hostess and seated at a nicely located table in the middle of the room. Background music played by super pianist and violinist. Julius was our waiter and he made us feel very welcome and was very informative about what we were eating and drinking. (Talking to your waiter I think makes the day even more special, hey we are all human and a little interaction goes a long way). Ask for their tea recommendations they are only too happy to assist.I had a champagne with my tea and my daughter was very kindly brought OJ (no extra charge) as she doesnt drink tea/coffee. We loved the plates of sandwiches and asked for another! They were delicious and a nice mix. We then had scones which were very good with cream and Marco Polo jelly. Then we got started on the dainty cakes and pastries. I began with the Claridges blend tea and then changed to another on Julius recommendation. Tea was £58 and £68 with champagne plus 12.5 service (which Im informed the staff receive). The tables are set just apart enough for your privacy which we appreciated (unlike the Ritz). Chairs are very comfortable and you are able to take your tea at leisure (unlike the Ritz which is sadly like a production line). Claridges even brought out 2 little daintly 'Happy Birthday' cakes and candles which was a lovely gesture. The Maitre D' came round the tables making sure everyone was OK. Julius kindly took some pictures for us too!! All in all we had a fabulous celebration afternoon and would rate Claridges as our Number One for Afternoon Tea. We would certainly love to return at a later date. Thankyou to all for a lovely day.

Date of visit: July 2016

Dear FamilyP41,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share such a wonderful detailed review following your visit for afternoon tea to celebrate your birthday with your daughter.

I am so delighted to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your experience and your particular mention of Julius and the service he provided is greatly appreciated. I have shared the details of your review with the team here.

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again soon.