“An experience which could not be bettered”

The Foyer At Claridge's
Reserve with OpenTable
The Foyer At Claridge's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The huge sparkling Chihuly light sculpture and grand art deco of the Foyer transforms this Mayfair restaurant into a magical dining space, whilst the inviting banquettes of the Reading Room allow for more intimate dining. Frequented by famous faces for over a hundred years, it's the perfect venue for a light meal, sipping cocktails and the best afternoon tea in London.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“An experience which could not be bettered”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had lunch in the Reading Room on 16th October, afternoon tea in the Foyer on 17th October and breakfast in the Reading Room on 18th October. I have been eating at Claridge’s of an on for slightly over 20 years and have therefore seen many changes. Having seen the many recent very positive comments on Tripadvisor I wondered if they really were as good as the vast majority of people say they are so as on each of the occasions I was eating alone I thought I would use my time to cast a very critical eye on the food and service.
Firstly on all the occasions I was addressed by my name throughout. Always a rather nice touch. At lunch I ate from the de jour menu. A choice from 5 starters, 5 main courses and 4 deserts. I asked how often the de jour menu was changes and was told it was changed twice a week. My maths suggests that is 520 starters, 520 main courses and 416 deserts throughout the year. Both the food and service was excellent.
Afternoon tea at Claridge’s is not a stuffy affair looking at the faces of those there most were obviously enjoying themselves and some were clearly having fun. I stumped for the non vegiterian sandwiches and there were 5 fillings I was asked if I wanted everything bringing to the table at once or did I want the items bringing as they were required. I plumped for the as required. I am not a tea drinker at all being a confirmed coffee drinker but thought I would have tea this time. I made that decision with some trepidation as I have found tea somewhat bitter for my taste. I discussed with the waitress and selected the gunpowder teas as being one my palate could cope with. The tea came and I went to pour it out and was advised to leave it a bit as she had only just poured the hot water into the pot, she looked in and said the leaves had not opened yet and suggested I leave it 3 or 4 minutes. When I got home I checked that advice on the Tea Council web site and that is exactly the time they suggest. The sandwiches were lovely the egg mayonnaise were the best I have ever tasted. Then came the scones with Marco Polo Jelly and a pot of clotted cream. I found the Marco Polo Jelly less sweet than jam and a much more refined taste to me but before that I was brought a glass of iced water so the taste of the sandwiches did not interfere with the taste of the things to come. Then there were the cakes. Refills were offered for everything. Throughout there was live music from a pianist and someone playing a violin. Afternoon Tea at Claridges is a substantial feed. From what I was told when I asked the do between 45,000 and 50,000 afternoon teas a year
For breakfast I chose the English one from the choice of 6 different types of breakfast. Mine consisted of pastries followed by bacon, sausage, mushrooms and fried eggs all done exactly how I asked them to be done. Coffee, orange juce and toast throughout. Another very substantial meal. I liked the rather dinky coffee pot jackets.

I looked for faults and could not find one at all so my thanks go to Glen, Dean, David, Sylvan, Angelica and Shamim. I hope the hotel management reads this and commends those members of their staff.

Advice engage with your waiter or waitress to enable them to provide the best of service to meet your individual wants.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank cssatl
EugeneLeonard, Food & Beverage Director at The Foyer At Claridge's, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear "cssatl",

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write such a thorough and complimentary review of The Foyer & Reading Room. It is truly wonderful to read that you continue to visit us after twenty years.

As you quite rightly mention the Menu du Jour is changed twice weekly and is created according to the seasonality and availability of ingredients. By doing this we hope to ensure that even our most regular guests will have something new and different to choose from on each visit.

Afternoon Tea is a real passion of ours and it is very encouraging to read your thoughts on it. In the past year we have really stepped up the tea training of our waiters and encourage them to taste all of our teas so that they are comfortable and confident in recommending the many different teas that we serve. It is very heartening to read that your waitress was able to help you select a tea that was so suited to your palate.

Finally, thank you for your kind words about the team, I have passed on your comments and I can assure you that it means a great deal to them.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Claridge's in the near future.

Best wishes,

Food & Beverage Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ellsworth, Maine
“Tea at Claridge's”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We reserved tea in the Reading Room and Foyer. It was superb. Traditional tea starts at 39GBP per person. Your one choice of the evening will be to choose one tea type from 38 offerings. We chose the Claridge's Signature blend. You are then greeted with a tea pot and a plate full of tea sandwiches all proffered on Claridge's own green and white striped china. The sandwich offerings were ham and tomato, egg and watercress, smoked chicken and smoked salmon with cream cheese. There were enough sandwiches for 3.5 each and if you required more to satisfy your hunger, they would bring them, but we stopped at the initial plate because next you are greeted with a small plate of scones (2 apple and 2 raisin) served with Marco Polo jelly and rich, thick, yellow clotted cream. Again, if you want more, they will bring them and the staff will keep topping off the pot of tea as well. Provided you still have room (and I would suggest you do), the next course is a plate of gorgeous, hand crafted pastry desserts. There were four different pastries/desserts and I tried my best to sample them all. If you don't finish, though, the staff will gladly wrap up the "leftovers" for you to take home and savour later. A luxury experience, but well worth the money spent.

3 Thank Champagne F
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
“Expensive but wonderful”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Quality matched reputation in every sense and a real treat. A superb late dinner in their own restaurant which I found superior to Gordon Ramsey. Enormously comfortable, well equipped room and a wonderful sense of history throughout the hotel. Fabulous location. Bravo to Management and their Team.

2 Thank Malcolm A
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“breakfast at claridge's”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Foyer really does have the same 'wow' atmosphere as before; the service is impeccable but the breakfasts although tasty are not good value for money

Visited September 2012
2 Thank yellowbelly_12
Dear "yellowbelly_12",

Thank you for taking the time to feed back on your experience at Claridge's.

Whilst I am glad to read that you enjoyed the food and atmosphere of The Foyer I am, of course, concerned to read that you felt it poor value for money.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me on eleonard@claridges.co.uk but, in the meantime, I hope to welcome you back to Claridge's in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Gig Harbor, Washington
“Still the best”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We visited last time we were in London, and this time, and now we've promised ourselves that no trip to London will be without tea at Claridges. Fine service, perfectly executed, delicious sandwiches, scones, and pastries - as many as you'd like. Lovely touches such as a small tin of tea to takeaway with you, and the little sweets cart on the way out. 5 star all the way around. Well done!

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank SimplyAmerican
Dear "SimplyAmerican",

Thank you for such a great review, it is always nice to share such encouraging feedback with the team, you have no idea just how much it means to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to London.

Best regards,