“An excellent place to eat before going to theatre”

Johnstons Restaurant
Ranked #8,068 of 24,439 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I dined at Johnstons in July on a Saturday lunchtime prior to a matinee performance at a local theatre. We had a lovely 3 course meal with wine . The food was of an excellent standard, the service was also excellent and polite. The price was superb for eating in this area of London and I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone, it was a pleasant surprise. They deserve my five stars.

Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Situated in the strand palace hotel so very convenient for theatreland. Food standard is good, I had a steak it eas good quality and cooked exactly as requested. Service was very good and the price was pretty good in this part of town.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Popped in for afternoon tea. The place was a bit quiet but the staff were very attentive and the food was the best value we had during our London stay.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

After I had taken my wife shopping in the west-end, we finished up at Covent Garden in need of food, drink, and relaxation.
I really wasn't dressed to go to our normal eateries, so we decided to find a new or unused place to refuel.

Coming from Covent Garden down Burleigh Street toward The Strand, we noticed a very nice exterior of a restaurant I had never used; we viewed the outside menu which looked adequate. and on entering we were shown to comfortable corner area with very nice furnishings.
Our waiter was very attentive, and apologetic for my disappointment of the wine list;
never-the-less,we purchased a pitcher of Pimms, and offered a choice of cocktails at half price. It was not until I went to the beautifully clean washroom that I realised Johnstons is part of The Strand Palace Hotel, yet, with its own entrance in Burleigh Street.

We started the culinary investigation with a basket of various shared breads, dips and olives, followed by grilled lemon sole with buttered new potatoes and a delicious buttered spinach.
The sweets were mouth watering tasty, I chose the Passion Fruit Eton Mess, while Sue picked The Chocolate Brownie.

The food was very very good, and we were impressed at the quality.
We finished off with coffee for the memsaab, while my English thirst can only be sated by a pot of tea.

The damage was about £80.00. which again is very impressive for this part of London.

Well done Johnstons, I certainly will be back again, but please get a better stocked wine cellar ie.Chateauneuf, Barolo, Nuit St George, etc.etc.

3  Thank gcwalker
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and I were meeting a pair of old friends who were staying in central London, and this turned out to be an ideal meeting spot. Just around the corner from The Lyceum pub (a hangout from my student days - very affordable beer!), Johnston's is basically a part of The Strand Palace Hotel, but does well in spite of that. When we arrived at 7PM it was all but empty, and the extensive scaffolding outside was a little off-putting, but we had a fine time. Sat in comfy chairs while we had a drink before dinner, then moved over to a dining table when we were ready - no hassling.The menu is limited, but the quality delivered was really rather high - the 3 course set menu was 20 pounds, and other options were comparable. The four of us had a nice dinner plus drinks beforehand and 3 bottles of acceptable wine for 130 pounds - I almost wonder if they undercharged us!

1  Thank Boguespierre