“Turkish 'Faulty towers'”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Turkish 'Faulty towers'”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Have been visiting Leyla on countless occasions over the last 3 years and whilst the quality and choices of some of the foods (mainly mixed meze) has suffered a great deal and some ingredients on the menu have not been stocked in a few years, I still return every once in a while.
This is because the owner is a true classic who is as entertaining as Basil Faulty. You may have to wait for a long time on a weekend, but you surely have something to talk about whilst you're waiting and the portions are always generous.
I just wish the attention to detail and quality in the kitchen would resume.

london, england
“WASTED EVENING”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Went to Leyla restaurant for the first time 15 Mar 14: arrived to find plenty of empty tables and friendly staff, ordered starters and mains and drinks. Starters and drinks arrived in plenty of time, only one complaint there pastry too thick on borek. Restaurant started to fill up, our empty starter dishes were on the table and drinks glasses, male staff member took away 3 of the starter plates and we asked for drinks. 20 mins later female member of staff was approached for drinks we were told to wait. Male staff then brought over a large amount of cooked meat which we informed him was not ours. After one hour, no drink refills and only starters received I paid for what we had received and explained why. Female staff very apologetic, what else could she say. Very, very disappointed, will never return and will advise others same.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank nickclifton
London, United Kingdom
“Dads 90th Luncheon”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Regularily visit this restaurant a good enough reason to hold dads special birthday luncheon,owner went to special trouble to open as not normally open at lunch time.
Good quality and quantity food at reasonable prices,nothing changes ...under staffed but still managed to not let us down.Thanks for helping to make his day.

• Visited December 2013
London
“Excellent local restaurant”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Love it!
Been quite a few times now (friends and family, big groups and small groups), great food, friendly management. Can get a bit noisy on a Saturday night though.
Good for a take away as well.

• Visited October 2013
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Service with a snarl”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

A group of 8 of us went to Leyla on Saturday. The restaurant operates two servings so in theory the first seating should be finished by 9pm. There is a bar area with some seating, however it's not nearly big enough to accomodate all of the people waitnig for the second seating and they serve bar food which means that it's even less likely that you can get a seat or stand comfortably. The result is that from 8.30 until circa 9.40 we were bumped, jostled and cramped until our table was eventually ready. Once we were seated we were told that we had to have the sharing menu option and that there was no other choice for groups of 6 or more. When I told the waiter that we were not informed of this when booking and suggested that maybe he could treat us as 2 groups of 4 he refused and would only say that we had to order from the set menu.

I spoke to another member of staff who after a brief conversation and explaining that at least one of our group was vegeterian said that we could order from the main menu but our food would tkae much longer if we did this. When I enquired fruther he said it woudl take an additional 10 minutes.

We ordered our food and eventually started to eat around 10.30. The food itself was OK, however the people that ordered the sharing menu were served the wrong menu.

To really finiish off the experience we had some after dinner drinks and the Gin and Tonic that I had asked for was presented to me and the waiter announced that it was a Vodka and tonic. When I told him I had ordered a Gin and Tonic his immediate reaction was yes that is what this is. The Drink not only didn't taste of gin but was completley flat. They brought a second one which was also flat but did not taste of alcohol at all. When I questioned this the waiter's response was "Is this your first drink this evening". When I explained how rude this was the waiter backpelled saying that he meant was it my first Gin and Tonic this evening as I may not be familiar with how Leyla serve thier Gin and Tonic. If Saturday nigth was anyhting to go by they serve their G&T with Vodka or very little alcohol and flat tonic. I asked for a refund and was presented with a 3rd G&T which I refused. I was finally presented with a refund that was 20% lower than the actual cost of the drink so had to querry this as well.

In summary the food is OK but I'm not sure that I have ever had the misfortune of being so poorly treated by staff in a restaurant before. There are some people that shoudl not work in the service industry, it appears that a number of them currently work at Leyla.

• Visited March 2013