“Fantastic food with Basil Fawlty inspired service!”
Review of My Old Place

My Old Place
Ranked #2,732 of 22,853 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food with Basil Fawlty inspired service!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We visited Friday 22nd of November with some family and friends. We hadn't booked a table and the restaurant was very busy! However they took us straight to a table downstairs in a smaller restaurant area.

The food was excellent, authentic Chinese food with some amazing flavours. The salt and pepper squid was particularly good as were the green beans fried in garlic and chili. We ordered lots of different dishes to share between the 6 of us. The only dish I didn't personally like was an Aubergine dish which I found to be quite greasy.

The service was a little crazy, the staff were rushing around like worker ants. They didn't say much, just served our food and off they went. Most of our food arrived together with a short wait for 1-2 other dished.

I actually think that the haphazard style of service adds to the overall experience of this restaurant. It gives it a crazy Chinese charm that can only be delivered by a busy atmosphere!

• Visited November 2013

Israel
“Traditional Chinese food”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Great food - the place was populated with Chinese people which to me is always an indication that the food is authentic! Good prices and good service.

• Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Authenic Chinese Food - Unfriendly Service :(”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've passed this restaurant dozens of times but finally found my way inside for lunch. The menu is the real deal if you want authenic Chinese food. Lots of unmentionable parts of the pig are on offer. Lungs, intestines, ears...etc. My son and I opted for the vegetable spring rolls (very safe option). Then people at the adjoining table were having spicy green beans with bits of chlli and pork. So we ordered this which was fabulous !!! Then an order of beef with peppers and black bean sauce along with a bowl of steamed rice. x2 diet cokes and the bill was £25.50. Not cheap cheap but just about right. They are open everyday except Christmas so I'll be back soon !!!!

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Rare Gem of authentic Chinese food”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Excellent restaurant with really nice authentic food near Liverpool Street Stn. Lots of Chinese customers which is always a good sign. Most items are a bit spicy but you can ask the staff to make it less spicy.
Try the dumplings!!

Visited October 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ridiculous Service”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is claimed to be the best Chinese restaurant in London. The food is tasty but the service could be the worst in London. I visited this restaurant for more than five times, just because the food was great and the service was ok. However the last time the service was so awful that finally led me to a full stop. There was a boy from north-east China whose attitude was absolutely disrespectful. When ordering, he directly used his pen to point the item he was refering to while I was turning pages. He showed absolutely no patience as if he would die if we did not finish ordering right away. What's more rediculous was when he found the kitchen delivering a lamb barbecue dish while he actually forgot that the dish was ordered by us: he literally ate them all!!! We are absolutely stunned.

So, you have been warned.