“Good value Italian, very disorganised and slow”

Vapiano - Great Portland Street
Ranked #2,353 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Laid back, buzzy restaurant, loved for its freshly made pasta, pizza and salad dishes. Pick up a card on the way in, choose your dish from the counters and watch it made in front of you. Pay on the way out.
London, United Kingdom
“Good value Italian, very disorganised and slow”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Its a good concept, but the staff are quite rude and completely disorganised. You get given a card on arrival that you charge all your drinks and food on. There is a table drink service, but don't expect them in a hurry! You order from various kiosks - pasta, pizza or salads. I opted for pizza was quick and you are given a buzzer for when it's ready. When I went to pick up my pizza the staff didn't know which pizza was which, myself and another diner sorted them out! My friend however picked pasta and although it tasted good he waited 45 mins! In conclusion, food good, concept fun, good value, shocking service!

• Visited May 2013

• Czech first
  • Greek first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Different concept restaurant, rude staff”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Gosh what a place. Funky, different with a good ambience. The food is nice although I must warn people that you have to queue and wait for food. It is a different concept then a traditional restaurant where you have a key card to log all your food, drinks and you pay on the way out. The food is good and tasty, it's prepared on the spot in-front of you. My only disappointment with this place was the staff both the cooking staff and the frond desk, don't look you in the face when you speak to them, dismissive when you talk to them, just not great customer service at all. I would go back again because I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and restaurant lay out. I like the idea where some people in your table or group can grab some food while other just a drink without that presure of a restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great food at a good value”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I come here quite often as it is really close to my work and to be honest before I came to Vapiano for the first I have always underrated Italian cuisine thinking it is just about pastas and pizzas.
Well Vapiano is about pasta and pizza (and antipasti)... but done very well! The option to choose what pasta you want (if you cannot choose the chef's are happy to recommend what would be best for the dish) and whether you want with chilli and/or garlic. Personal favourite is the spinach and prawns with the campanelle pasta which I end up getting every time I go there nowadays. A meal here I consider very good value for money with quality of the food being high. Decor is pleasant with plenty of seating upstairs and down.
After going for a while I guess I'm starting to get a few niggles but these are just personal. While I thought it was great being able to watch the chef cook my pasta in front of me and able to ask how much chilli I want, it does mean you are standing in a queue holding my tray and cutlery until I see the chef. I think this appeal is lost with me after coming here often and as I know the food is always cooked well, I'd rather find a space to sit down and have the food brought to me. Especially as it gets busy during lunch and dinner (last time for dinner I stood in the queue for 15mins with my jacket and bag still on.)
As many other diners have said, it has a lively atmosphere... a VERY lively atmosphere... a SHOUT-LOUDER-THAN-YOUR-NEIGHBOURING-DINER-IF-YOU-WANT-YOUR-MATE-TO-HEAR-YOU atmosphere.
But seriously, I still rate this 5 "circles" just because the food is darn great!

• Visited April 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
“Affordable Italian”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Being Italian I'd have a lot to say about the authenticity of this restaurant, but it has surely created a brand by offering pasta sauté in front of you.
This is the main feature of this place: ingredients are fresh and flavours very good for the same reason.
I didn't give a high score to the service because this is a self-service place but it's definitely worth a visit when you want something quickly but you don't want to compromise on quality!

• Visited February 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Exciting, Different and Great Food!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went to Vapiano with a large group of our family and had a great time! The idea of choosing your freshly made pasta and sauce then watching it being cooked in front of your eyes is fabulous! All of our group loved their food and it was a great evening. The food was reasonably priced and the service was good. It's a shame it is so popular as it was a little crowded but we could only take this as a good sign. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!

• Visited January 2013