“Good dinner in a very cute old building away from the bustle of London.”
Review of The Punchbowl

The Punchbowl
Reserve with OpenTable
The Punchbowl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,090 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: As one of Mayfair's oldest pubs, we know a thing or two about good food and wine and pride ourselves on offering a place for our patrons to meet, dine and unwind. Tucked away on a quiet side street, here we can offer three very different dining experiences to suit your mood. Whether relaxing with a pint of ale and a plate of fish and chips in our Pub, indulging in exquisite culinary creations in our Dining Room or enjoying an exclusive private dinner in The Club, you'll find only the finest in great British food, service and comfort awaits.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I thought the inside of the building was so cozy and quaint. I kept thinking of Jane Austen novels. I had a roasted potato gnocchi with artichoke hearts and my husband had the fish and chips (the fish was excellent but he wasn't a fan of the mushy peas). We both had a pint but the highlight of our visit there (and it is a little blurry because we were so jet-lagged) was the dessert. Warm bread and butter pudding with crème anglaise. I could have BATHED in the crème anglaise, it was that good! We got one to split but then decided we needed to order another one:)

There are newer reviews for The Punchbowl

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The claim to fame of this place is that its owned (or partially owned, I dunno) by Maddona's ex husband. Oh yes he's a successful movie producer himself but did I forget his name? Polite and friendly bar staff. Restaurant is pretty average though. I come here from time to time for business lunches and its always decent but never special. I like the fact that all waiters are actually english or native english speakers.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Had a fun time at this lively place! Food great, good drinks and nice people. Also, it is located in a lovely neighborhood!

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

It is the worst steak tartare that I have ever had. It was so bad I sent back which is something I never do. It contained so much tomato sauce it was almost liquid. I sent it back it came back almost the same just with more capers than meat. Should not have paid for it but I did. To British sometimes to complain.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Overall: Would recommend and will return. Would have given 5 blobs - see Service comments below for the reason why I didn't

Atmosphere: excellent, good old fashioned city pub, with great atmosphere. Felt busy and welcoming, if a touch dark. It was a bright day, so that probably influenced it. Tables relatively close together but didn't feel anyone was listening to our conversation or us to anyone else's.

Menu: good variety of traditional British favourites and could have picked any one of a dozen.

Food: Simply the best fish and chips I have ever had in a restaurant. Could not fault it. Batter simply melted in the mouth. I normally leave most of it as it is normally dripping with fat or too crunchy. This was spot on. Didn't have a starter or pudding (more of that later).

Service: Waitress was excellent, great attitude, helpful and attentive. Speed of delivery of main course was good. Ordered pudding but after 30 minutes, still hadn't appeared so had to leave without seeing (or eating it). We did ask them to speed it up as we had a deadline of 14.00h. They were very apologetic and took the puds off the bill (the least they could do in my book).

Value: was OK, £14.00 for main course felt a touch expensive on the menu but after eating looked good value. We didn't drink alcohol, panned out at c£20 per head including tea and coffee.