“Terrible service”

Neighborhood: Mayfair
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Terrible service”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

The place is decent as a bar but the service of the attitude of the girl in charge of the reserved tables was not professional (if you want to be polite...). We asked about an empty table with no sign of "reserved" or anything on it and a very nice waitress said it's free obviously since there was no sign or anything on it. After we order a bottle of wine this other girl comes over telling us we should leave the table because it is reserved. We said ok as long as they could get us another table where we could sit down. What she replied to that was that we should have asked her (she did not have a sign on her saying "I am the only person in charge of the tables") and not a waitress and that we should find another area to place not only our drink but the bottle too on our own. She generally was very rude and not willing to help while it was their mistake. On top of that it turned out that the guys placed on our tabled had not booked a table on the bar area at all, but on the club and again they were forced to sit on another area than the one they had booked. I guess that says a lot about at least the reservation-related people...

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank tinkerbell_edi

Kazan, Russia
“Not what you expect in a Mayfair Bar”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I went there with a friend of mine that I have not seen for ages and was showing around London. Mayfair is a rather posh place with certain standard of service, however I would not apply this to Babble bar. The waitress who served us was extremely rude. To start with, I was demanded for an ID and there is no way I look younger than 21. But the weird part was that instead of just checking the date of birth my whole ID was studied, which I found rather weird. When we asked for the advise on beer, as my friend wanted to taste English beer, we were not offered anything but pointed out to a Czech beer. Then we came during happy hour where they advertise half price for certain wine which I ordered for myself but was given bill with the full cost. And while we were dealing with a waitress we have never given any notice of smile and any customer service. I am not the person who complaints a lot but I was very annoyed and embarrassed by the whole situation as I was showing London and it meant to be a good place to visit. I will never go back there again as there is lots of other places where staff do care about their customers.

• Visited June 2011
6 Thank Gulnara2011
London, United Kingdom
“left with an unpleasant taste”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Appalling !
Went to Babble on Saturday night for a friends 30th birthday. we had booked and paid the booking fee only to arrive and find an eastern European chap sat at one of our tables refusing to leave inspite of the "Reserved VIP".. a cocktail waitress came around and tried reasoning with the chap who simply ignored her... she went around to fetch the manager who came around and asked him to make way… by then his Mrs. joined him at the table and they simply refused to leave..
Instead of dealing with them the manager turned to us and goes “er.. I tried but these guys wont budge can I move u guys around to another place till they leave ?? ” I said I haven’t got a problem moving to another table provided it wasn’t cramped and if he could give us a definite time by which we could have the tables back regardless of if the occupants finished or not.. so he then gets agitated and turns on me and says “I’m trying to do you a favour and u are ruining it for yourself” I was furious by then.. Simply because we spent around 30 mins trying to diffuse this.. and he was showing us attitude & being rude.. I don’t understand why they can’t eject someone out of seats when the people who have made reservations have paid in advance and have a party of friends to entertain..
A couple of lads on the nearby table saw this and called the “trespassers” on to their table and we got our tables to ourselves
Absolute shambles… wont ever go back there again..I know a lot of other trendy bars around there who would be glad to treat us fair & make some money of us.

PS: Glad we didn’t take the offer to move to a crammed table cos the “trespassers” were sat there till 15 mins before we left..

• Visited June 2011
4 Thank DeeAmi
Bucks
“Watch the tipping advice!”
Reviewed February 4, 2010

A convenient and good place to meet for lunch. The food is good and the staff friendly. But beware of the hidden service charge/tipping advice. Our bill was pre-printed "Service not included" when 10% had in fact been added on a Service Charge line, then the card machine invited a tip! What a cheek. This doubling up wasn't pointed out unfortunately. I noticed it later and wrote to the Manager. Haven't had a reply, which is sad because it is potentially a good venue for corporate use and if they are unresponsive like this, we are less likely to use them again.

3 Thank accidentaltourist_8
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This place is great for...”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

This place is great for lunch dates (work) and it turns into a club later on in the evening...

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook