“Fantastic experience”

Cuisines: International, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Frequently referred to as 'the drawing room of Mayfair' since opening in 1931, The Promenade is the heart of The Dorchester in London. Open all day for informal dining, The Promenade has an international menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A London institution for British afternoon tea, experience The Promenade's seasonal calendar of specialty teas and pastries, accompanied by a resident pianist. Enjoy the live music from 1.15pm each day and unwind at one of the best restaurants in London. Afternoon Tea is served five times daily: 1pm, 2pm, 3.15pm, 4.30pm and 5.30pm Dress Code: The Dorchester dress code is 'smart casual' and we respectfully ask guests visiting the hotel to refrain from wearing baseball caps, beanie hats, ripped jeans, sportswear, trainers, flip-flops and shorts in our restaurants and bars.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We booked afternoon tea at The Dorchester as a surprise for my Mother-in-law for her 70th Birthday. What a fabulous experience. The ambience, the friendly, attentive staff and the food...amazing. We booked the last sitting which was perfect especially as we did not feel hurried and could totally relax and enjoy. The sandwiches were mouth watering...so delicious. They were offered time amd time again until we said we'd had enough. The warm scones with jam and cream equally tasty. When one choice of pastry proved popular, along came some more. My 3 year old son was treated like a VIP - made to feel really special. He was asked what sandwiches he would like and his drink of choice and was promptly given a sticker/activity book When the scones arrived he said he wanted them plain and the waiter asked if he liked chocolate. Yes of course was the reply and within a few moments he returned with a pot of chocolate spread. We ordered champagne tea as this was a special event. Due to a mistake with our order we were given a complimentary second glass. This is the place to take those special people in your life. You get what you pay for here and they certainly deliver. Will be back the next time I can think of an excuse!

Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Tracy S,
It is my pleasure to read such a kind review of your most recent visit to The Dorchester for afternoon tea. I am delighted that you chose The Dorchester to celebrate your mother in law’s birthday and how you all enjoyed the afternoon, including your 3 year old son. I will share your comments on the food and the atmosphere with the team here and I very much look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you all back in the near future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director, UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

There are newer reviews for The Promenade at The Dorchester

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I tried afternoon tea at the dorchester and thought it was fantastic. So I booked a spa day and afternoon tea to follow. The staff and spa where all fantastic. Great massage. However the afternoon tea in the spa was a complete let down. The sandwiches didn't taste very nice and the cakes where very sickly. I thought for the money the afternoon tea would of been out of this world.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was a birthday treat and we weren't disappointed. The food was lovely and the staff were attentive but not overwhelming. Clearly they are used to taking photos with all types of phones and cameras and still managed to make the customers we saw feel welcome and special.

1  Thank Grandmahinkley
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We went to the Dorchester for High Tea on a Friday afternoon. We had been planning this for some time and had high expectations. The restaurant is quite well equipped and the service reasonably efficient and prompt.
However, the actual fare did not live up to expectations. The sandwiches were nice, but not exceptional. The pastries were of a mixed quality. Some were really stodgy and doughy. We were especially awaiting the scones - which were far from good. The tea and service made up for the indifferent quality of the food.

1  Thank Sanjay0123456
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to The Dorchester for afternoon tea in The Promenade. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the atmosphere and the service. However I am concerned to read that the food did not live up to your expectations. I will share your comments and feedback with the chef and the team here but, if you would be kind enough to contact my Food & Beverage Director, Stephane Lafon, directly, he will be happy to discuss your disappointment further.

Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband daughter and I spent a wonderful Sunday afternoon enjoying afternoon tea at the spectacular Dorchester hotel. The food was delicious and plentiful. The service was friendly but impeccable . Thoroughly enjoyable in such stunning surroundings with wonderful flower arrangements .

1  Thank KirkieKermie