“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Promenade at The Dorchester

The Promenade at The Dorchester
Ranked #94 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Frequently referred to as 'the drawing room of Mayfair' since opening in 1931, The Promenade is the heart of The Dorchester in London. Open all day for informal dining, The Promenade has an international menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A London institution for British afternoon tea, experience The Promenade's seasonal calendar of specialty teas and pastries, accompanied by a resident pianist. Enjoy the live music from 1.15pm each day and unwind at one of the best restaurants in London. Afternoon Tea is served five times daily: 1pm, 2pm, 3.15pm, 4.30pm and 5.30pm Dress Code: The Dorchester dress code is 'smart casual' and we respectfully ask guests visiting the hotel to refrain from wearing baseball caps, beanie hats, ripped jeans, sportswear, trainers, flip-flops and shorts in our restaurants and bars.
Cheshire Uk
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Friendly welcome, excellent tea however sandwiches tasteless too little filling too much bread, scones doughy lacked taste, jams average. Cakes v disappointing indeed. My first afternoon tea in a London 5 star hope the others fayre better.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear malabar10,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of The Promenade at The Dorchester. I am disappointed to read that our Afternoon Tea did not live up to expectations. Can I kindly ask that you contact me directly as I would very much like to discuss this with you further.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, England, United Kingdom
“Magical afternoon at the Dorchester!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

My friends and I celebrated my 30th birthday at The Dorchester. I can honestly say that it was a magical experience. We were greeted with smiles and shown to our wonderful table which was decorated with opulent furniture and a grand mirror to the side. The tea was delicious and the sandwiches and pastry were fresh and tasty. We were seated very close to the piano player who actually played happy birthday especially for me - now that is what I call being treated like a celebrity! What really made the experience were the three gentlemen who served us: Caesar, Michael and Anthon. These men did a fantastic job at making us feel welcome and taking care of our every need; nothing was too much for them! I cannot recommend The Dorchester highly enough and will certainly be going back very soon.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Awet Y
County Dublin, Ireland
“Afternoon tea for two”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I love The Dorchester since our wedding. This time we come to the hotel for Afternoon Tea and were very satisfied with the service and food as always. Staff were keep coming back to our table with the finger sandwiches and asking if we need to change the tea pot. There was plenty of food and many different types of tea. We had a wonderful time and will come back soon.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Champagne afternoon tea for Christmas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Grand. Relaxing. Joyful.

Delicate tasty variety of sandwiches and desserts. Delicious rose champagne. Good selection of teas. Attentive service.

The setting to enjoy yourselves and forget about time. Worth for a special treat!

Sydney, Australia
“Do not recommend for a special occassion”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I treated my parents to afternoon tea at The Dorchester. I intentionally picked it instead of The Savoy or The Ritz in the hope of not receiving a tourist version of afternoon tea.

It was dreadful. Frankly I would have walked out and made a bit of a scene had it not been a special occasion.

The scones - both lots - were rock hard. You could snap them in two like a biscuit.

My polite complaint was met with a very rude 'I will tell the chef you did not like them'. Thats it.

For 55 pounds each (PLUS they added in a generous tip for themselves on the total) I felt like a mug. Never again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear sydneygirl26,

Thanks you for taking the time to write about your afternoon tea experience at The Promenade at The Dorchester. I am sorry to hear that the scones and the overall experience didn’t live up to your expectations. All feedback is of great value to us and I shall address your comments with the team. Can I politely ask that you contact me directly at the hotel as I would like discuss your experience with you further?