“A truly timeless experience”

The Promenade at The Dorchester
Ranked #120 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Frequently referred to as 'the drawing room of Mayfair' since opening in 1931, The Promenade is the heart of The Dorchester in London. Open all day for informal dining, The Promenade has an international menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A London institution for British afternoon tea, experience The Promenade's seasonal calendar of specialty teas and pastries, accompanied by a resident pianist. Enjoy the live music from 1.15pm each day and unwind at one of the best restaurants in London. Afternoon Tea is served five times daily: 1pm, 2pm, 3.15pm, 4.30pm and 5.30pm Dress Code: The Dorchester dress code is 'smart casual' and we respectfully ask guests visiting the hotel to refrain from wearing baseball caps, beanie hats, ripped jeans, sportswear, trainers, flip-flops and shorts in our restaurants and bars.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went in a group of 6 to celebrate my Mom's 60th birthday. I have been before but for the other 5 it was a new experience and from the welcome at the entrance, to the walk to the 'powder room' and then to our table to be seated, the look of wonder on their faces was priceless.

We were seated and the waiter came to us to explain how high tea worked and said he would be back to take our champagne request and tea order. The only niggle I had on this was that when I made reservations I specified 'Dorchester afternoon tea' (there are several choices including champagne afternoon tea) which was confirmed, so when the waiter returned and asked if we were having champagne and I replied no (as it was my choice as I was paying for everybody as treat) I was a little embarrassed at having to confirm this again infront of the people I was with.

However the sandwiches were delicious and excellent care was taken for our vegetarian with the waiter returning with a plate just for her so as not to use the same serving utensils. Something highly appreciated.

Again- the only niggle I had with this was that we were only offered 2 rounds (from previous experience I know that it is the norm to serve until the guest says no more). So I had told the other 5 that this would be the case so only 2 sandwiches were taken from the second round. The plates were whisked away whilst we were being explained how the scones and pastries would arrive soon. Tea was offered again but was a repeat of the 1st order when we would have liked to try anothther - something that was not offered.

I must stress that we had an absolutely fantastic time here and it was made special by the waiters bringing a cake with a candle for my Mom whilst singing happy birthday. The pianist then personally congratulated my Mom and offered to play her a song of her choice (which he knew by heart and played perfectly) - something that made the experience unforgettable.

Beautiful surroundings, immaculately dressed staff and an extremely elegant pianist. What more could you wish for?

1  Thank Tinkerbelle1983
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Tinkerbelle1983,
Many thanks for taking the time out to leave feedback of your recent visit for afternoon tea at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read that you chose The Dorchester to celebrate your mothers 60th birthday and how much you enjoyed the food and the whole birthday experience. I will share your comments with the team here and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you all back here again soon.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was the most amazing experience in London. We got the champagne afternoon tea. The kept serving you food until you said no! :) The service was great and so was the food.
I am sure I will be back one day.

Dear LineJacobsen,
I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your afternoon tea in The Promenade. I will share your comments with the team here and I look forward to welcome you back here on your next visit.

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Was a damn fine way to celebrate as it was such an exciting treat and something you would not normally be able to justify. The room is beautiful and there is a good mix me real clients and the tourists so that you feel comfortable being there but also let to see how the other half live. There are often stars staying at The hotel so you get lots of groupies outside and there was a real buzz.
The food was of course of a fine standard and there was plenty of it. I was also really impressed by the tea itself - which wasn't something i was expecting.
Do it - it is worth it!

2  Thank Duckandbunny
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear PeckyAndMercedes,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent afternoon tea in The Promenade at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read just how much you enjoyed your celebrations with us and how much you enjoyed the Afternoon Tea and the atmosphere. It will be a pleasure to share your kind feedback with the team involved and I hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is an amazing treat to have whilst in London. Beautiful surroundings in the Promenade with delicious afternoon tea. So much better than similar afternoon tea experiences in London. The staff were extremely attentive and they made my daughter and myself feel like Royalty!

2  Thank Sue G
Reviewed October 30, 2012

A classic venue and faultless. Formal service yet relaxed and friendly. Nice atmosphere and extremely comfortable. Superb!

5  Thank MollieArchie
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear mrmallorca,
Thank you for your kind words; I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience during your recent visit. I will share with the team involved and I look forward to your next visit.