“Afternoon tea”

The Promenade at The Dorchester
Ranked #114 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Frequently referred to as 'the drawing room of Mayfair' since opening in 1931, The Promenade is the heart of The Dorchester in London. Open all day for informal dining, The Promenade has an international menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A London institution for British afternoon tea, experience The Promenade's seasonal calendar of specialty teas and pastries, accompanied by a resident pianist. Enjoy the live music from 1.15pm each day and unwind at one of the best restaurants in London. Afternoon Tea is served five times daily: 1pm, 2pm, 3.15pm, 4.30pm and 5.30pm Dress Code: The Dorchester dress code is 'smart casual' and we respectfully ask guests visiting the hotel to refrain from wearing baseball caps, beanie hats, ripped jeans, sportswear, trainers, flip-flops and shorts in our restaurants and bars.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Lovely lovely afternoon tea. Food was beautiful as was the tea. Staff were friendly and very efficient. Only slight negative was that our teapots and milk jugs had chips around the top.

Visited October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Classy”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My daughters took me here to celebrate my birthday.Wow is al I can say,the service was second to none. We were made to feel very welcome and it didn't feel stuck up or pretentious just very classy.
We started off with a glass of Laurent Perrier Champange, then on to the sanwiches and tea of choice, more sanwiches followed by plain and fruited warm scones with strawberry jam rhubarb jam and clotted cream , then more of the same lol , cakes to follow (the maccaroons are to die for) to top it off a birthday cake for me. Two boxes of cakes to take home. Thak you to our waiter Oliver and the Dorchester.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank maggiemaggie56
thedorchester, Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear maggiemaggie56,
It a pleasure to read how much you and your daughters enjoyed your birthday celebration in The Promenade and I was delighted to read how much you liked our cakes, sandwiches and scones. I will share your comments with Oliver and the rest of the team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon again.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing afternoon tea”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Visited last weekend with my wife for her 30th birthday. It was a simply 1st class experience, with fantastic sandwiches, cakes and tea. They also brought out a cake for my wifes birthday as I told them we were celebrating at booking stage. This was the 1st afternoon tea we have experienced and if we were to go again would visit here in an instant.

Visited September 2012
Dear philc81,
I am delighted to read that you chose The Dorchester to celebrate your wife’s 30th birthday and to read how much you both enjoyed the sandwiches, cakes and tea in The Promenade. It will be my pleasure to share with the team, your review and I look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.
cambridge
“The best tea in London!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have been for afternoon tea at many of the best places in the London, The Ritz, Claridges, Capital Hotel, The Bekerly.... And yet i have returned 4 times and going again this Christmas to The Dorchester as it tops my list. First i have to say the service is the most friendly i have ever had. Im not made to feel looked down on and everyone is very chatty and helpful.
I love the tea menu it has the classics and then some special rare ones followed by a great sandwich choice. The chicken is my favourite and they will keep serving you until your very full!!!
The cakes are so pretty and if your too full from over eating on the sandwiches they will box your cakes up for you :-) a great treat at home.
They have live music and at christmas its so festive its a fabulous treat to get you in the mood.

• Visited December 2011
thedorchester, Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear ktyjenkins,
It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed Afternoon Tea at The Dorchester and I was delighted to read that you will be returning for our Festive Tea again this year. I will share your kind feedback with the team in The Promenade and I look forward to welcoming you in December.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Amazing Tea!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Loved it! We went for our anniversary, the place is beautiful ith lots of freshly cut flowers, the staff so friendly and smiling :) we started with lovely sandwiches on different types of bread, I had said when booking that I didn't eat ham/ red meat so they made me cheese and chutney as an alternative to the ham. The waiter kept offering more sandwiches, then we had amazing melt in the mouth scones with jam and clotted cream, so yummy! Then a lovely coffee mousse thingy, then a lovely assortment of fancy cakes. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and a lovely touch was they brought out a cake with 'happy anniversary' iced on it at no extra charge! A wonderful experience and better than Claridges and 100% better than Fortnum and Mason (which was dreadful! ) book to go here you will not be disappointed!

• Visited September 2012
Dear Helen503775,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent experience with us here at The Promenade. I am glad that you enjoyed your anniversary and appreciate your acknowledgment of the efforts of all of our staff. Thank you for recommending us and I hope to see you soon again.

Kind Regards,