“Average tea party”

Cuisines: International, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Frequently referred to as 'the drawing room of Mayfair' since opening in 1931, The Promenade is the heart of The Dorchester in London. Open all day for informal dining, The Promenade has an international menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A London institution for British afternoon tea, experience The Promenade's seasonal calendar of specialty teas and pastries, accompanied by a resident pianist. Enjoy the live music from 1.15pm each day and unwind at one of the best restaurants in London. Afternoon Tea is served five times daily: 1pm, 2pm, 3.15pm, 4.30pm and 5.30pm Dress Code: The Dorchester dress code is 'smart casual' and we respectfully ask guests visiting the hotel to refrain from wearing baseball caps, beanie hats, ripped jeans, sportswear, trainers, flip-flops and shorts in our restaurants and bars.
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Went to the dorchester for tea with 5 friends yesterday for a catch up.

Overall was a great afternoon but was not overwhelmed by the experience, tea, sandwiches, scones and pastries were average and would not say that they were of great quality to rush back for more!

My friends were offered a choice of tea most had english or earl grey. One comment was it was quite weak others said was ok but not amazing. If we were topping up our cups of tea the tea servers would come to the rescue to pour for us you are not expected to pour your own tea which us commoners dont mind doing!! Was constantly interrupting are gossip catch up therefore! As i am not a tea drinker orange juice was offered instead which was 100% fresh!

With our tea selection of sandwiches was offered cucumber, egg, chicken, salmon and other vegetarian option. We then had a miniature dark chocolate coffee cup with coffee mousse which was nice, then a selection of small pastries and scones were offered and a miniature ice cream which was also nice.

Then out of nowhere the bill arrived and seemed it was time for us to move on!

The server offered for us to take left over pastries home with us.

For £40 each i would recommend it not too bad for an afternoon but i would not be in a rush to go back next week.

There are newer reviews for The Promenade at The Dorchester

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I took my mum to the Dorchester with my daughter for her 60th birthday present. I'd read the reviews for the afternoon teas and saw that they had won awards. I was aware that my mum potentially felt it could be a little intimidating there as its in Park Lane and such a super Rich hotel, however it was unbelievable. From the second we arrived til the time we left it was just WOW! On arrival we were treated like royalty. My daughter who is 14 was completely wowed by how lovely it was. We have stayed in some nice hotels over the years too. From the staff to the decor it can not be faulted. The afternoon tea was a very reasonable price £39.00 and I must admit I thought it would be a couple of cucumber sandwiches and a scone and we'd like it but leave feeling hungry. Oh no. def not. There was a constant supply of food. I could not manage a thing after the 2nd plate of sandwiches, yet they still kept offering. After the huge plate of cakes and scones, they then without my knowledge brought out a birthday cake for my mum. I'd said on the form that it was my mums birthday but never expected that or knew it was going to happen. Fabulous. We left there feeling like royalty. I could not find one fault with this hotel. Simply amazing. I can easily see why they have won awards.

3  Thank LeepyLoo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

From the welcome, the promenade itself, the ambience, the service and of course all the food and drink, this is the best London has to offer, without exception.

thedorchester, Manager at The Promenade at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Gordon S,
I was delighted to read your kind review, thank you for sharing it and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This was my first ever visit to the Dorchester and well worth waiting for. This was a special treat and not something I would expect to do regularly, although I'd be delighted to do so.
The reception, the service, the food and the selection of teas were superb. The champagne was delightful too. No detail was overlooked by our attendants (Daniel and Oliver) and they were a credit to the hotel. The finger sandwiches, scones, pastries and jams etc were of amazing quality and were available on an “eat as much as you like” basis. The setting was glorious. Anyone who hasn’t been into the Dorchester and experienced the décor is missing an absolute treat. The piano in the background was also very complimentary. If anyone wants the ultimate treat in London, for less than the regular cost of a show ticket, book up and visit the Dorchester. Amazing.

2  Thank MakemBill

Dear MakemBill,
Many thanks for your kind review on your recent visit. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the selection of pastries, sandwiches and champagne and the décor of The Promenade. I will pass on your kind words to Daniel and Oliver and the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had Hi Tea at the Dorchester hotel on August 23rd. All we can say is WOW. We never experienced Hi Tea before this and was not expecting to enjoy as much as we did. This hotel's service and quality of tea, food, and service was top shelf. If you are in London this is a must do.