“Afternoon tea at the Ritz”
Review of Afternoon Tea

Afternoon Tea
Ranked #398 of 23,993 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: A British institution in itself, Tea at The Ritz is proud to be a member of the Tea Council's prestigious Tea Guild. Served in the spectacular Palm Court, a choice of several varieties of tea, finely cut sandwiches, freshly baked scones, jam and clotted cream and a range of delicate pastries, combine to make for an unforgettable afternoon. The luxurious and graceful setting of The Ritz Palm Court is legendary and this is most certainly an opportunity that must be experienced, whether you are visiting London or already live there. Reflecting the elegant nature of the hotel's architecture The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery) and The Ritz Club, smart casual attire is suitable. Please note that trainers or sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club's restaurants or bars.
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great experience.Everything afternoon tea should be...plenty to eat! Palm Court is very special, and there is a pianist softly playing. Staff very attentive,bringing more tea/sandwiches/scones etc. just make sure that if you do not have the "afternoon tea with champagne" ,you do not get charged for for the champagne!

1  Thank angela N
Write a ReviewReviews (3,071)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

For our works Christmas party we decided to book somewhere for afternoon tea, there are only two of us in the company so we wanted something a little bit special. We called in September to be told they were fully booked in the day, but we could visit and take afternoon tea at 7pm. This actually made it much better and I would recommend this around Christmas. The Ritz was of course beautifully decorated for the festive season and we arrived just as the carol singers began singing around the piano.

The afternoon tea was nice, I've been to quite a few around London, I wouldn't say this was the best (The Dorchester would be my favourite) but with the atmosphere and service I couldn't fault it.

The price for the afternoon tea as it was Christmas season, was pretty expensive but it was a great experience.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I've been waiting for 55 years for this!

On the occasion of my 56th birthday my partner treated me to Tea at the Ritz - it was everything I expected - and more!

It was opulent, atmospheric, a real experience of a lifetime. The sandwiches were excellent, the scones were to die for and the cakes were delicious. After all that they even served up a mouth wateringly tasty dessert and a little cake to celebrate my birthday.

I felt I was living in a real life Agatha Christie (Miss Marple) movie!

A wonderful experience. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

It was our 40th wedding anniversary and as part of our London break we decided to treat ourselves and our daughter to afternoon tea. Yes, the building is beautiful, the setting lovely but we felt a bit short changed by the food and my coffee now holds the prize for the worst cup of coffee I have ever tasted. It was so strong, bitter and luke warm it was almost undrinkable. I asked for some more hot water to be added to it and the waiter just used the warm tea water! I should have asked for it to be changed but felt our waiter was already slightly impatient with us as we took our time choosing and eating our food..I did think I heard him tut at us and our daughter agreed. The sandwiches were fine but the cakes a big disappointment as with your eyes shut you could not tell what they were at all except they all tasted of cinnamon in some shape or form. I did inform them of our daughters nut allergy and although the individual cakes were fine the trolley cake had nuts on it and the waiter was about to cut her slice of cake with a contaminated knife before I stopped him. All in all we have had a lot better afternoon teas at other hotels for half the price..such a shame.

1  Thank Mrsheathershaw
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I went with. A group of friend to the Ritz and had a great time , but the Ritz wasn't as posh as I expected, skirting board was dusty and the place was quite ragged and worn out!
All out drinks were served in antique silver tea pots which were pitted and worn out, I thought it would of been a bit more finer dining! Also the cutlery was worn and well used :-(
Worth the visit once but wouldn't go again.

1  Thank Sayithowitis2000

Been to Afternoon Tea? Share your experiences!