“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #828 of 24,242 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: Indulge in a slice of one of the finest British traditions and take Afternoon Tea at The Ritz. Enjoy a selection of finely cut sandwiches, freshly baked scones with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry preserve, and a mouth-watering range of exquisitely presented pastries and teacakes. As well as 18 different types of loose-leaf tea to choose from, why not sip a glass of Champagne to add some extra sparkle to the occasion. This most charming traditional Afternoon Tea in Piccadilly, is served in the spectacular Palm Court, with glittering chandeliers and elegant mirrors, which add a light and stylish flourish to the room. The elegant ambiance is complemented by a musical ensemble from our resident pianist and harpist – the final ingredient to ensure your Afternoon Tea at The Ritz, is quite simply, unforgettable.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The food was good, the waiters attentive and there is a feel of luxury but for me the experience is too formal I prefer a more relaxed atmosphere. It felt quite cramped in the Palm court and I just felt that they were maximising the space at the expense of ambience.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,093)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I took my Mum for Tea at the Ritz for her 50th birthday and had a very good time. The hotel was beautifully decorated with christmas decorations and we had carol singers during our tea. It did feel like a bit of a conveyor belt with the service, and I was constantly checking my watch for the time as I knew we only had a 1hr 30-1hr 45 minute slot, and that isn't really enough time to sit back, relax and take your time eating. It wasn't very clear when we first got to the Ritz where we should wait, and whether we needed to confirm our booking. Also it wasn't clear whether you should pour your own tea or wait for the waiters. (you are suppose to pour your own we found out!) but I think a lot of people must of thought this, as when we were looking around no one had started! The sandwiches were very nice, nothing out of the ordinary but they were good. The scones were ok, but the one's I make at home are better! And I didn't really think much of the pastries or the lemon drizzle cake. I felt like I was rushing my food and trying everything in a short space of time because I wanted to try everything. Overall It was a very nice experience and something my mum has always wanted to do and I would recommend it. The atmosphere was very nice and it's nice to get dressed up and feel posh!

1  Thank Pop_x
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Took my 2 teenage grandchildren for afternoon tea and was not disappointed. Waiting staff very attentive, food excellent. Overall a very pleasant late afternoon tea and we'll worth waiting for

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Arrived 30 minutes early , decided to have a drink , informed the waiter we was here. They was no instruction from the staff to when we needed to go to our allocated table. We just noticed they was a influx of people rushing to the eating area , bit chaotic . Not what I expected. Food was average and over priced . Didn't expect to sit under a dusty plant , and have dust fall on me.
I recommend the housekeeping staff to clean the artificial plant s under neath ,.

The gentleman / doorman was very friendly.

2  Thank mini843
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went for the first time in the summer a couple of years ago and we were bowled over. It was totally fabulous. This time were went in November. We had bought vouchers for presents last Christmas (2012) and we should have booked sooner as there were only a couple of dates free and we had to go on a Sunday night at 7.30pm. Unfortunately it was not as wonderful as our first visit. There was a large stain on the tablecloth from the previous diners and the service was not as friendly and welcoming. The tea and cakes were lovely but the sandwiches were dry and the bread not fresh. We feel also that there may have been a problem with what we had actually booked and at the end of the meal were given a bill for a celebration cake, plus there were extra charges as it was Christmas time and there were carol singers. The extra charges came to £80.00. We hadn't kept any receipts and didn't want to spoil the evening so just paid up. The first time we went it was girls only. This time we went with our husbands who all agreed they would rather have had a Roast Dinner somewhere. If you buy vouchers in advance, make sure you book early to get the time and date you want.

Been to Afternoon Tea? Share your experiences!