“Birthday Treat”

Afternoon Tea
Ranked #324 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: A British institution in itself, Tea at The Ritz is proud to be a member of the Tea Council's prestigious Tea Guild. Served in the spectacular Palm Court, a choice of several varieties of tea, finely cut sandwiches, freshly baked scones, jam and clotted cream and a range of delicate pastries, combine to make for an unforgettable afternoon. The luxurious and graceful setting of The Ritz Palm Court is legendary and this is most certainly an opportunity that must be experienced, whether you are visiting London or already live there. Reflecting the elegant nature of the hotel's architecture The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery) and The Ritz Club, smart casual attire is suitable. Please note that trainers or sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club's restaurants or bars.
Northamptonshire
“Birthday Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Really enjoyed tea with the family as a birthday treat, staff were lovely and there was loads to eat and it tasted lovely, the cakes were excellent . My son is a diabetic they even baked him special brownies which he loved and a huge platter of fruit specially for him, they just did this without us even asking. They made a birthday cake and sang happy birthday to me, which made it really special. Lovely surroundings it WAS glamorous and I would not describe it as "touristy" they make a huge effort to make it a special tea for you, well worth the money.

• Visited April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Touristy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I found the experience a bit cringey. I was expecting it to be a glamorous place to people watch but it seemed to be a congregation of people taking their mums and grandmothers out for a one-off special occasion. The service was excellent if not a bit over-the-top considering the general customer type that I witnessed but that is supposed to be part of the fun. It made me feel anxious and I was glad for a glass of champagne to calm the awkwardness of the situation. The food was good but not amazing. I have had much better cakes and sandwiches at afternoon teas near where I live. (go look at Pierreponts in Goring-on-Thames and take note!!) Very expensive for what it was.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Ekarau
mk
“Delightful afternoon tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was our first visit and one I would thoroughly recommend.

To be honest the start of our experience was slightly unusual. As we had never visited before we did not know where to go but we were greeted with a smile and told to go straight ahead. We did but then no-one greeted us and we were left standing and thinking where to go now. We visited the cloakroom and someone had obviously had an "accident" or serious bowel issue as the disabled toilet next to it smelt horrific. A lady was spraying anti-bacterial but as someone else pointed out a bit of febreeze was needed!!! Eurghhh.

However, the afternoon tea offerings were delightful and in a surprisingly large amount too. Even gluten free alternatives were delicious and staff made an effort to make sure the gluten free did not miss out on anything.
Tea was replenished and we had a thoroughly enjoyable day out.

I do think the following comments could further improve the experience:
*ensure staff properly show guests where to go so they are not left around thinking where to go
*our waiter who was very pleasant spoke with his mouth barely open, this meant we couldn't really understand what he was saying, only a minor comment but my opinion
*seeing a different waiter licking his lips and finishing the remains of his food which was in his teeth whilst bringing out a paying customers' food was pretty off-putting. Something the kitchen should not allow and staff should certainly not be doing. This particular male staff member could also learn how to smile.

Overall a lovely day and I'm very glad we went.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank han2010Mk
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were given a voucher for our 40th wedding anniversary and didn't realize that we would have to book so long before. There were no weekend afternoons available at all (the voucher lasts for 1year) and in the end, after going through page after page of dates to see availablility, we went in April at 7.30pm!! We phoned to say that we were early and they gave us a table that had been vacated from the previous sitting at 5.30pm. We only had to wait for about 10 minutes so that was ok, during which time, and after we had been seated, we watched as a great many people left carrying little boxes with cakes in and having their photos taken on the steps of the room in which the tea was held. The tea was really nice and the sandwiches good and plentiful. As we had seen all these people take their cakes we decided to only have the scones (there were 2 each) and not to have the very small cakes (2 rich chocolate cakes, 1 lemon mille feuille and 1 macaroon), assuming that we could take them home BUT NO that is not allowed. When we said that others had taken theirs we were told that all of them must have been birthday cake which was allowed. We were disappointed but didn't complain. When we asked to have a photo taken on the steps, the same waiter as had taken the others said that it wasn't allowed as it impinged on others privacy!! As my husband and I are in several photos belonging to other people we were a bit taken aback by that and said so. The waiter then took our photo but grudgingly. What a pity.

We felt that the staff only went through the motions and didn't make people feel special which ,considering the cost ,is a shame.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank RJT06
“Not a cut above the rest!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We visited for afternoon tea on a Sunday afternoon for a 70th birthday treat. When we arrived we was happily greated by the doormen however it kind of started going downhill from there. We were just handed our napkins when we sat down, I feel these should have been presented on our laps. My partner then went to remove his jacket in an extremely warm room and was told jackets were compulsory, we then ordered our tea and was presented with Tea we hadn't ordered, so not a great start. But they did however redeem themselves and the sandwiches, scones and cakes were as expected. The service was much fast and we wasn't made to feel rushed. They presented my nan with a cake which I felt was a nice touch and the waiter was happy to take pictures for us.
Would have been much better if we hadn't started with such a negative vibe.

• Visited May 2013

Been to Afternoon Tea? Share your experiences!