“EXCELLET”

Afternoon Tea
Ranked #324 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: A British institution in itself, Tea at The Ritz is proud to be a member of the Tea Council's prestigious Tea Guild. Served in the spectacular Palm Court, a choice of several varieties of tea, finely cut sandwiches, freshly baked scones, jam and clotted cream and a range of delicate pastries, combine to make for an unforgettable afternoon. The luxurious and graceful setting of The Ritz Palm Court is legendary and this is most certainly an opportunity that must be experienced, whether you are visiting London or already live there. Reflecting the elegant nature of the hotel's architecture The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery) and The Ritz Club, smart casual attire is suitable. Please note that trainers or sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club's restaurants or bars.
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“EXCELLET”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We visited the Ritz for afternoon tea last month. What can I say? A* for food, service, atmosphere, surroundings and waiting staff. We will be back.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank helloitsonlyme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I cannot fault the quality of the food nor the quantity but did feel like we were on a conveyor belt. I wasn't sure what to expect but thought that at least the first cup of tea would be poured for us. I asked one of our waiters if he could take a picture and were told he would come back but never did and then asked a second who gave me the same response but never returned. We then asked if we could take a few of the cakes home as could not eat any more and were simply told we couldn't as it was against health and safety. It was only when the third waiter came to our table to clear it that he explained it properly. We were very disappointed and still not really understanding why when other restaurants also offering afternoon tea allow you to do this. If the Ritz is that worried that you will sue them for food poisoning offer guests a chance to sign a disclaimer should they wish to take anything away. We found the whole experience a bit disappointing in terms of service and felt almost that it was a case of get us in, fed and out as opposed to making it the experience we had hoped it would be.

2 Thank Nikki M
armagh
“Afternoon tea at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was a special treat given as a present to us by our daughter and son in law at their wedding.
We were welcomed on arrival and shown to the cloakroom and waiting area as we had arrived early. The decor was sumptuous . Staff were immaculately dressed in immaculate uniforms.
The food was delicious and plentiful. The tea menu offered a wide selection. Freshly baked scones served with clotted cream and jam were wonderful. A plate of tasty sandwiches was the highlight for me, they were replaced by another when empty! A delicious selection of pastries were left as we couldn't eat anymore! A trolley with two additional cakes were served to each table.
Standard of service was excellent . Overall it was a delightful experience I would recommend.
Having had same experience at The Dorchester and The Langham it would be difficult to choose between them as they were all excellent in different ways.
Highly recommend the experience.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank joanoArmagh
Cheshire.uk
“A touch of Class - excells in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Yes it does live up to it's name........
A warm welcome, we sat in the lobby with a bottle of house Petit Chablis just people watching.
We chose the 5.30 slot so as to make ' evening tea '- amazing choice of teas, the sandwiches, well !!!!!!!! the chicken- just superb, delicious ham, then smoked salmon, and egg with horse raddish sauce.........
We went for the finest option as it was a friends special bithday...... champagne and birthday cake. He chose the traditional fruit cake, which we could not even start, so this was put in a box to bring home, and fantastic fruit cake.

It was brought out with a lit candle and the pianist played happy birthday.

It is a special treat ocasion, well worth the ££££
The team are super, amazing in every way....... English at it's best -

1 Thank cheshireguy
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Outstanding - The Perfect Way to Enjoy High Tea in Elegance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

What can I say about today? Well, I have been terribly spoiled by my lovely husband to an unexpected Valentines treat. The last few valentines have been rather low key as we do wonderful things throughout the year, but we still mark the occasion. I have always enjoyed cream teas and over the last couple of years, we have enjoyed high tea in a few places - this time we went to The Ritz, which was unexpected and exciting.

Afternoon tea was held in the the Palm Rooms, which was unearthly beautiful and elegant. I felt so overwhelmed by the decor, mirrors, the scent of flowers and the sheer elegance of the place. As we sat at our pretty little table, we had an array of beautiful pale green, gold and white china in front of us such as tea cups and saucers, plates and pots containing clotted cream and preserves. We had a very elegant menu of loose leaf teas to select from - We selected Oolong and Darjeeling first blush teas - both were so lovely - no milk or sugar were required. They all turned up in silver tea pots, with silver milk jugs and water - it looked so lovely.
Then came the food, in beautiful 3 tiered serving plates - the bottom layer with an array of finger sandwiches, the middle section with freshly baked scones and the top section with an array of fine cakes. As my husband is a vegetarian, they bought along a separate plate of sandwiches for him.

The sandwiches were divine - definitely good quality ingredients, with the flavours being well balanced and some of the best I have tasted. My favourites were the Salmon and lemon butter and cucumber with cream cheese, chives and dill sandwiches. The scones were delicious and fresh and eating them were incredibly pleasurable - but I was beginning to feel very full. However, there was more to come, even though we politely declined another serving of cakes and sandwiches! The pastry cart came along which had a lovely vanilla yogurt with fresh and and tender rhubarb, which was exquisite - then a choice of lemon drizzle and coffee cake! I could not finish them all and could not take them with us, but the waiters were lovely and encouraged me to take my time and try a little of each thing. My husband said that the coffee cake was delicious - it had pecans in them. My lemon drizzle cake was also very delicious and then I worked my way through the cakes on the tray. Mark enjoyed a cream slice and a chocolate slice, whilst I enjoyed a chocolate slice as well, which was incredibly rich and sumptuous and a most interesting (and extremely delicious) macaroon. It had the raspberry macaroon base, with a little bit of berry coulis and white chocolate in the middle, and a lemon cream at the top - it was most refreshing.

The whole experience was perfect and exquisite. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and to be in such an elegant and wonderful atmosphere - not forgetting the beautiful piano playing in the background, which played a surprisingly good array of tunes from classics - such as Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata to a song by Evanescence! The waiters were impeccably dressed and very polite and helpful and, of course, attentative. They replaced hot water for the tea and also bought us refills of tea for us and regularly asked if we needed any assistance.

Re: photo taking, as long as you are being discreet, it is fine. A waiter kindly took a photo of us. which was lovely.

2 Thank Michelle B

Been to Afternoon Tea? Share your experiences!