“Loved It”
Review of Clink78

Clink78
Ranked #60 of 956 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Loved the place and the french manager. will go back as soon as I can when in London

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,217)

Reviewed July 9, 2010

I stayed at the clink first week of May the night before a 3 week bus tour. The room was fine, seemed pretty clean but as i had to get up at 5am and had arrived at 7pm the night before, I had booked my own private room. Despite this I was still kept awake from the thumping music in the basement and people yelling and slamming doors.
There was no hot water, so had to endure a freezing cold shower. After speaking to fellow travellers on my tour, many of them said they didnt have any hot water either. I realise this is a hostel not a hotel but all i wanted was hot water and a decent night sleep after a 26 hour flight. The staff were alright, but looked at you like you were stupid when you got lost - and trust me with all the winding corridoors its easy to find yourself in the wrong place!

1  Thank Sconny87
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Stayed in The Clink for 4 nights on my recent trip to London and had a really good time. I was travelling on my own so was a bit worried about meeting people, but it turned out to be really easy to meet other solo travellers in their bar. The breakfast was as expected in a hostel, self service cereal and coffee, which was good and the rest of the facilities were good too. I've stayed in lots of hostels and was impressed that The Clink had a little travel shop, somewhere you could go to ask advice about booking tours, tickets and general sightseeing, this meant you didn't have to line up in reception to ask the very busy receptionist. My only critism is that the road outside was quite busy and noisy, but if you are planning to get up early to sightsee, this really isn't a problem.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2010

I stayed at the Clink Hostel for 3 days before leaving for my Top Deck tour. I stayed in room 122 on the First Floor (Orange colour).

I've categorised my comments for easy reading:

Room

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm. The room was very small but I was out all the time so it didn't bother me. On the first night the room and floor I was staying on was very hot and stuffy. The second and third nights however were fine. I think there may have been a heating issue the first night.

You are provided with free, clean linen and I couldn't fault the cleanliness of the room which was superb with no signs of bed bugs or any other nasties.

The rooms are secure with a keycard entrance and you're provided with a metal, lockable storage box for your valuables. Just remember to bring your own lock.

All in all it's a small room but very clean. I wouldn't recommend staying in a room with more than 4 people as it's tough to get a good nights sleep with people coming in and out.

Toilets

The toilet facilities are great. There are a number on each floor and I didn't find myself needing to use the toilet when all were occupied.

They are relatively clean and staff are constantly cleaning them throughout the day.

Showers

The showers were quite terrible. The showers are in blocks of three with the odd unisex shower which features a singluar shower. The male showers are push button operated without adjustable temperatures. This was quite frustrating as the temperature wasn't always ideal and the push button needed repressing every 10 seconds or so. The showerheads sprouted water everywhere and there was not enough room to hang your clothes. I often found my clothes getting drenched from the poor water sprout.

As for the unisex showers they had a different mechanism to operate the water temperature. The sprout was good too. Unfortunately I couldn't adjust the ones I tried and they were either boiling hot or freezing cold. I was speaking to someone and these are the same as the ones in the girls showers. Apparantly the way to adjust the temperature is to turn the dial as far as you can and once you reach a certain position the hot water kicks in. I didn't actually try this but if it works then I'd advise that if you're a guy only use the unisex showers. If you're a girl then your showers should be ok.

The showers were pretty dirty too. I sometimes get infections on my feet so I wore some thongs in the shower. I'd advise you do the same.

Oh and remember to bring a towel otherwise you have to pay to use the Hostels towels. I don't know how much though as I brought my own.

Breakfast

You get a free breakfast every morning. It's nothing fancy but it does the job and saves you a couple of pounds. You can have bread / toast in either wholemeal or white and there are a number of condiments to use such as strawberry jam, apricot jam , honey etc. There are also a number of cereals which you can have such as coco pops, rice bubbles, corn flakes and more (about 6 in total). There is also coffee, tea, milk and juices provided.

Location

I personally didn't like the location of the hostel and the only reason I stayed here was because it is cheap and it's where my tour leaves from. The hostel is located approximately 10min walk from the Kings Cross St Pancras Station which is located on the Piccadilly tube line. I'm not a big fan of having to use public transport and I much prefer to walk. It was located a bit far from the key shoppping and food districts but you could get by. If you're happy to use the tube or other public transport then the location should phase you.

Other amenities

The hostel offers wi-fi but you must pay for it. It costs 0.5 pounds for 15min or you can buy a day, 3 days or 7 days for 5 pounds, 10 pounds and 15 pounds respectively (i think these are the prices, I only bought a one day one which I'm sure was 5 pounds).

The hostel has a tv room which I've never seen in use as well as a wi-fi room so you don't need you own laptop to access the internet.

There is a bar located in the basement which doesn't really get busy even though the drinks are pretty cheap.

There is also a pool table and foosball table which cost 1 pound and 0.5 pounds respectively.

Checkin at the hostel is 2:30pm and if you arrive early you can place your luggage in a baggage room to save you lugging it around. The room isn't that secure - it does have a keycard lock and the only key is held by the reception. I didn't have any issues but I have locks on my bags for added security and I'd advise you do the same just in case.

Summary

All in all I enjoyed my stay at the hostel. I was looking for a cheap hostel in close proximity to where my tour would be leaving from. This was the second cheapest hostel I could find around the area I was looking and for the price I am very impressed at the quality of the hostel I know there are some negative comments but just remember you pay for what you get. If you want to live in a private, super clean place with excellent amenities / facilities you need to go to a hotel and pay 5 times what you pay here.

This hostel was excellent value for the price and I'd definately stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank agizariotis
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Would definitely recommend for the price, location and proximity to major rail and underground stations!!! It is based on a major road (Kings Cross Road) and has got the best milkshake bars (Shoki Shakes) and cafe a few yards away!! My No.1 cafe in the area was Shoki Shakes at 163 Kings Cross Road.

Another place you should definitely visit is the Kings Cross Social Club. Enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank RogerWilliams21
Reviewed May 17, 2010

My favorite things about this hostel were that it was fun and in a great location.. It is located right next to King's Cross and Euston stations so you can take the tube anywhere and only walk a short distance. Theres also a bunch of bars, clubs and restaurants right within walking distance as well. The hostel has it's own bar which was pretty cool. I met a lot of interesting individuals in it and had a lot of fun.

The beds were kinda cool, they had comfortable down comforters on them and were pod bunks....so you were in an enclosed bed with wall-like things around you. This was cool so you didn't have to wake up right in someone else's face. Unfortunately, my room was painted bright orange...so there wasn't much sleeping to be had past 8 am anyway.

The hostel provides breakfast and a computer room. Theres also a place to hang out and watch TV in. The staff was really cool...I had some drinks with a couple employees and ended up getting late check-out thanks to one of them :)

I'd recommend this hostel to backpackers on a budget or people traveling alone. I was in a room with 9 other girls so the fact that I was alone wasn't so bad.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2010

This place is a great place to meet other travellers - nice kitchen too! breakfast can get a little hectic but apart from that its well worth the money. If you're someone who likes to keep to themselves, try the hotel across the road, otherwise clink is definitely worth a stay!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo