“Fantastic and fun hostel in convenient location”
Review of Clink78

Clink78
Ranked #61 of 923 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My brother and I stayed here during our week in London. We picked Clink 78 because we were in town for a short while and were looking for a place in a convenient location for us to get around London, and Clink 78 was perfect. It's about a 15 minute walk from Kings Cross Station, which has links to almost every main train line in London. The hostel itself was great with loads of activity. The rooms themselves were really small, but very clean and well-kept. The staff were really friendly and helpful when we had any questions. The breakfast was very basic (cereals, toast, jam, Nutella; tea, coffee, juice), but that's just what you need to fill up on before you set out on a day of travelling instead of spending on food outside of the hostel which could cost quite a bit.

Room Tip: We stayed in an 8 bed mixed dorm with en-suite bathroom. You pay extra for the bathroom in the room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Clink261, Front Office Manager at Clink78, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Hiya! Thanks a lot for choosing us while you were in London. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very proud of our staff and we just try to provide the best possible experience for our guests. Enjoy the rest of your travels. See you soon! Clink Team

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We needed somewhere cheap and close to St Pancras, to get our heads down, when travelling to France on Eurostar, and my good lady wife decided that this would be a good laugh, I was just surprised they excepted our booking ( wouldn't like to betray our ages but we have been married 27 years lol ) . On our outward journey we were placed on the first floor and with En-suite, and enjoyed a decent nights kip, we skipped breakfast as we had an early start.
On our return we had a cell on the ground floor, and shared toilet facilities, and it was a genuine cell as the building was once a magistrates court, and that was some experience , bunk beds !! ( I am 6ft 5 ) but one that we both enjoyed, and we made use of the breakfast facility and that was fine and also amusing as many a young backpacker did a double take as they so saw two old uns tucking into their muesli, if its just a bed you require why not give it a try.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hiya! Thanks a lot for taking some time and writing a very nice review about us. It is good to hear that you both enjoyed your time here... and of course we accept all kind of backpackers (or backpackers at heart)! Enjoy the rest of your travels and we hope to see you and your wife very soon! Clink Team

Reviewed June 3, 2013

iv stayed in my fair share of hostels whilst travelling throughout asia, Australia and even Ireland, some which were bearly standing in the likes of cambodia and this shockingly has got to be the worst place iv ever experienced. starting with reception staff, the majority who don't speak English despite wearing an English tag, my friends and I found them arrogant and extremely unhelpful,very very slow to deal with.. the pictures of the girls deluxe room are without doubt falsely advertised and the toilets/showers completely grossed the lot of us out, we literally had to hold our breaths while in there. so much more to say but it really isn't worth it, id just advise ppl to book somewhere, anywhere but here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Elle D
Clink261, Front Office Manager at Clink78, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hi There,

Thank you for giving as your feedback, though we have 24h/7 cleaning service we have forwarded the issue to HK manager to investigate and make sure we provide good service and nice stay to our guests.

My Best Regards
F.O.H team

Reviewed May 31, 2013

big place, many kids, mostly kids,jam packed at breakfast. if this sounds inherently bad ,avoid breakfast. everyone was friendly. the room was teeny with a bunk bed and not much else. nice private bathroom though. quiet at night, ..you know to bring an adapter or two, right? clean and a pretty sweet deal , good location, learn the buses and metro b4 u go. but people helped us when we asked almost always.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi There,

Thanks for taking your time and Leaving a feedback for Clink, you are welcome at any time.
Clink team is always working to provide better and better service, at the moment we are looking into preparing a full breaky on guest request and keeping the free continontal breakfast available

Best Regards

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed at the Clink before meeting up with my tour and I absolutely loved it. I was never worried about my stuff but of course took the necessary precautions. (bring your own lock and put your stuff in the safe by your bed). Cool building it was always clean and always busy. The internet room is huge and there was always a computer available, but you can always use the wifi. The TV room is also huge and hardly ever busy when I was there. If you are in one of the bigger rooms, bring ear plugs and bring your own towel. Try to get an upper room so it is more quiet than the ones downstairs and you don't get the people in the halls from the bar and kitchen. I didn't have have a backpack but luggage, and I would recommend a backpack of course. That way you can sleep with your stuff if you don't feel comfortable. Met a lot of good people there and had a lot of fun.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Hi There,

Thank you for giving us your feedback, We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Clink
We are looking forward into seeing you again.

Best Regrads
Reception Team

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Cool building in a decent location. We (son & dad....22 & 54 years old) shared a small 4 person room on the 3rd floor with 2 other people. It had a box to lock our valuables (bring your own lock). Bathroom was as clean as you might expect, but very tiny. Bring your own towels too. Breakfast in the basement was better than some we've had, worse than others. Pretty basic cereals and toast, but the price was right (free). Biggest problem was the drunks outside our window until the wee hours. But you're going to get that in a hostel that caters to younger people and has a bar. We've stayed in hostels from Nicaraugua to China, so we've got some perspective. This is in London....a big expensive city. So, if you want a place to crash in a decent location, and don't want to spend too much for it, this is fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking your time and suggesting Clink as good place to stay in london
, we are glad that you are happy about the cost, we are always aiming to make the travel cheap
and nice for everyone.

Regards

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed here 4 times in 4 different rooms when I used it as my base for travel around Europe. I chose it because it's where the TopDeck trip I started on left from- so it was easy for a new o/s traveller like myself. Got a lot of variety in the 4 rooms...
1. 6 bed female dorm with a little shower/"ensuite" in the room which was ok
2. 8 bed female dorm with bathroom facilities down the corridor
3. Mixed dorm sharing with males (met up with my bro)
4. My bro and I were upgraded from a mixed dorm to a one bunk room for the two of us to share- which was really lovely at the end of a 10 week holiday to finally relax with my belongings safely locked up! (We did hear stories of theft within the hostel)

My room mates were pleasant and respectful, though I heard some horror stories from others. Ear plugs/music is a must, particularly when I was a room close to the bar. Rooms are very basic. Very mixed experience with staff, one girl was consistently amazing, helpful and friendly; most of the others weren't.

It was part of my backpacking experience, but I won't be staying here again (or any hostel!)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Hi There,

We are so sorry that your stay wasn't the best due to the split bookings you had, I would like just to explain that we get that when the booking is made made last min,.
we hope that you get to travel and to have the best stay in one of the hostels around the word that makes you change your mind about the hostels, if not we respect your choice as well.

Thank you again.