In total I stayed 8 nights at St Christopher's Hammersmith. I chose this hostel because I was spending Christmas with friends who lived just around the corner and this is the closest accommodation (they didn't have a spare room at their place).
I will never be staying here again.
Location: Being directly across the road from Hammersmith station is very handy, although with London public transport it would be easy to get anywhere, really.
Staff: generally uninterested. Both times I checked in I had to wait quite a while for staff to acknowledge and then help me check in/get sorted.
Accessibility: There is no lift in the building and you will need to lug your bag/s up however many flights of stairs is necessary. Anyone with a disability or difficulty with movement should go elsewhere.
The room: My room was a 4 bed mixed dorm on the 3rd floor. The beds have springs poking you in the back and the lights at the beds are woefully inadequate. The floor underneath the beds is ridiculously dusty so don't put any uncovered clothes under there. No lockers or cages in rooms to utilise.
I have since read reviews saying that you actually get more privacy in the huge dorms because you get a curtain around your bed.
The bathrooms: Just terrible. The one closest to my room consisted of a shower room and a toilet room however the layout of the doors to each was ridiculous - it's quite hard to manoeuvre yourself from one to the other. Trying to change your clothes in the toilet area is virtually impossible without some gymnastic training - that space is tiny. The shower was frequently cold, and you have to keep pushing the button every 15 seconds to keep water flowing. The pipes also make such a sound that one of the people in my room actually thought they were industrial drills she could hear through the wall (not kidding!). Bins in the toilet area are only emptied every few days and our toilet paper ran out completely at one stage.
On Saturday nights you will hear the bass from Belushi's DJs until about 2am.
It is clear that the staff here care much more about the people eating and drinking down in Belushi's than in the hostel, as evidenced by their increased attentiveness to Belushi's patrons.
The free breakfast (toast and cereal) is only available until 9am and if you pre-pay for breakfast you will need to tell the staff at reception, otherwise they won't know/remind you when you check in.
To rent a towel you will need to pay £10, £8 of which you get back when returned.
The one redeeming feature of this hostel is that you can use the free wifi in your room and the signal strength is good.
I have now stayed in hostels/backpackers in 6 countries, and this is the worst experience I have had yet. I will not be staying here again and based on this experience it's unlikely I'll stay in any other St Christopher's either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Hostel in Hammersmith London is in the middle of everything cool in this neighbourhood of international brands, transportation links, shopping malls and amazing nights out. This St Christopher's Inn hostel in London is in easy reach of the London Underground, housed within the grand stone walls of a historic and listed building! Our reception is staffed by backpackers - just like you - and they're all full to the brim with up to date London knowledge. Check in for directions, maps, money saving tips and an introduction to the delights of the London Underground! We also provide individual lockers so that your keepsakes are kept safe. Aside from the Europe headquarters of Coca Cola and Disney, the biggest landmark in Hammersmith has to be St Christopher's Inns Hostel and Belushi's bar! There's nearly a hundred years of history behind this hostel - which survived two world wars and a massive renovation to make it the perfect fit for our international guests today. On our doorstep there is not one, not two but three London Underground lines, an over-ground railway station just up the road and one of the most connected bus stations in London - over the road. A few minutes away on foot, you'll find the Hammersmith Apollo, Lyric Square and Lyric Theatre, the Kings Mall, the Riverside Studios - cinema and theatre, Furnival Gardens, a top notch river walk to Chiswick, the London Wetland Centre, Fulham Football Club, and much more! Our Hammersmith hostel is also super close to Kensington Park Gardens, Harrods and Hyde Park - a short bus or tube ride away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda and Orbitz so you can book your St Christopher's Inn Hammersmith reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St Christopher`s Inn And Belushi`s-Hammersmith
- St Christopher`s Inn & Belushi`s-Hammersmith Hotel London
- St Christopher's Inn Hammersmith London, England